ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Smallest number plate available..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/889147-smallest-number-plate-available.html)

alcazar 18 May 2011 08:32 PM

Smallest number plate available.....

....and legal?

I have just fitted a 99/00 facelift bumper to my car, and have now to fit the number plate.
The guy who did the cutting of the bumper to fit the FMIC had a P1 and his plate was cut down, using the standard font, but making a smaller plate.

I'm not sure about cutting my plate, maybe I'll have one made up, but what is the smallest LEGAL plate I can use?

mickywrx 18 May 2011 08:38 PM

Stick your number plate on the dash, job done. ;)

nessscoob 18 May 2011 08:51 PM

Only plates using the standard font are legal. I cut mine down when I fitted fmic on my old motor, but got pulled by the fuzz and given a producer to get a legal plate on within 7 days. Apparently as id cut trimmed off the edges of plate I had removed the postcode of the plate maker, making it an illegal plate.

So basically it has to be standard font and have a postcode at the bottom of it.

dan2926 18 May 2011 08:57 PM

See below rules on this:
After 2001 are pretty much the same as group 2.
DVLA doesnt say anything about cutting the sides or how big the number plate has to be only the lettering and margins around the lettering.

Number plates fitted before 1st September 2001
If you fitted a number plate before 1st September 2001, they must meet the dimensions in one of the two groups below:

Group 1
Group 2
Character height
89 mm
79 mm
Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I)
64 mm
57 mm
Character stroke
16 mm
14 mm
Space between characters
13 mm
11 mm
Space between groups
38 mm
33 mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum)
13 mm
11 mm
Space between vertical lines
19 mm
9 mm

All info here:
http://www.theplatemarket.com/displa...s.php#offences

I bought a small one with smaller letters on and it looks great i just change them over at MOT time :thumb: havent been stopped as they only see it when passing head on :lol1:.

MattyB1983 18 May 2011 09:03 PM

Use this on my car as I also have a front mount. I've never had any problems with the fuzz but I don't do hundreds of miles per week in it. Have seen quite a few rozzers while driving it mind you, they don't seem to pay much attention believe it or not.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/...3/9e0fd87c.jpg

nessscoob 18 May 2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by dan2926 (Post 10046361)
I bought a small one with smaller letters on and it looks great i just change them over at MOT time :thumb: havent been stopped as they only see it when passing head on :lol1:.

+1

Bought a wee show plate for my new wagon as the import plate was blocking most of flow to fmic. Looks well tidy with the smaller plate. £5.99 off eBay Inc postage iirc.

L.J.F 18 May 2011 09:27 PM

I keep mine on the dash.

alcazar 18 May 2011 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10046429)
I keep mine on the dash.

You mean like stood up in the windscreen? Like tradeplates?
Is that legal?

P1Drifter 18 May 2011 10:39 PM

http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates

assuming your driving an import

eggy790 18 May 2011 10:59 PM

bit off topic, but after being caught with illegal plates a number of times, can police really put your car on a q plate as they always threaten to take the private reg and q platte the car? does it not just go back on the original registration? and what happens if they catch you with illegal font of original reg on car? q plate? or unregistered?

my94wrx 18 May 2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 10046690)
bit off topic, but after being caught with illegal plates a number of times, can police really put your car on a q plate as they always threaten to take the private reg and q platte the car? does it not just go back on the original registration? and what happens if they catch you with illegal font of original reg on car? q plate? or unregistered?

not sure about a Q plate but they can certainly get the dvla private plate off of you.

MattyB1983 19 May 2011 12:04 AM

I was caught twice with illegally spaced plates a few years back. Both times the police officer took pictures of my plate and informed me the pictures would be sent through to dvla. I was also told that if I was caught a third time committing the same offense then dvla could take my private plate off me and issue my car with the original number.
After this I put legal plates on but recently heard of a guy in town being caught 4 times with black and silver private plates on. His plate hasn't been removed, just got fines.
I think the old Q plate thing is just a scare factor thing.

Glowplug 19 May 2011 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by dan2926 (Post 10046361)
DVLA doesnt say anything about cutting the sides or how big the number plate has to be only the lettering and margins around the lettering.

:thumb:

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 10046690)

Yeah, as i understand it the original year plate goes back on.
What happens if it's the original plate? I can only think that after repeated offences they would put a prohibition notice on it or section 165 it as it is technically not roadworthy/road legal.

I've got a 330mmx90mm import plate on the front, totally legal but i'm waiting for the first pull.

ironbridge 19 May 2011 02:42 AM

I had a stick-on plate like the one pictured above and got fined by the police!

urban 19 May 2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ironbridge (Post 10046837)
I had a stick-on plate like the one pictured above and got fined by the police!

I don't think they're illegal

Glowplug 19 May 2011 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 10047417)
I don't think they're illegal

Yeah they are illegal.

See here.