ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   dark matter - how little we know! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/888952-dark-matter-how-little-we-know.html)

Jaybird-UK 17 May 2011 02:32 PM

dark matter - how little we know!

Two physicists sat down to talk about dark matter and what scientists hope to learn from CERN’s Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

What do we know about the universe?
5% of it is stuff we know
20% of it is dark matter (??)
75% of it we have no idea

Artist Jorge Cham from PHD Comics put the whole conversation to animation, very interesting!

Watch the movie : clicky

(Here's hoping this isn't too highbrow for NSR :) )

Ant 17 May 2011 02:41 PM

I visited CERN when studying a-level physics , brilliant place

Kieran_Burns 17 May 2011 03:33 PM

"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know."

what would scooby do 17 May 2011 03:35 PM

Takes about 12 to 18 hours to create dark matter yourselves...

.. just drink 4 pints of Guinness

CREWJ 17 May 2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 10043930)
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

What a great quote :thumb:

Bubba po 17 May 2011 04:57 PM

I knew that. :smug:

hodgy0_2 17 May 2011 05:21 PM

Rummy, got alot of stick for that, but it is actually quite clever

Leslie 18 May 2011 03:52 PM

The scientists know a good bit about it all of course these days, but the more they find out, the more they cannot understand or explain. They have to have resort to theories which they have not been able to prove so far and find they have to invent something which they have never seen in an attempt to back up those theories.

I hope the LHC was not a waste of money anyway!

Les

Geezer 18 May 2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10045768)
The scientists know a good bit about it all of course these days, but the more they find out, the more they cannot understand or explain. They have to have resort to theories which they have not been able to prove so far and find they have to invent something which they have never seen in an attempt to back up those theories.

I hope the LHC was not a waste of money anyway!

Les

Les, I don't wish to drag this thread off topic, as it's interesting enough in it's own right, but considering your stance in the Heaven thread, dont you consider it a little ironic to lambast scientists for "inventing something they have never seen".....?

On topic, hopefully LHC will start to answer, or at least to start us down the road to answer, some very fundamental questions.

Geezer

stef_2010 18 May 2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10044081)
I knew that. :smug:

:lol:

Did anyone see the program 'what is reality' I think it was Horizon on BBC, it covered most of this, very interesting I thought :)

Maz 18 May 2011 05:27 PM

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ntum-foam.html

Post two.

Leslie 19 May 2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 10045793)
Les, I don't wish to drag this thread off topic, as it's interesting enough in it's own right, but considering your stance in the Heaven thread, dont you consider it a little ironic to lambast scientists for "inventing something they have never seen".....?

On topic, hopefully LHC will start to answer, or at least to start us down the road to answer, some very fundamental questions.

Geezer

Well I did not intend to "lambast" them but you have to admit that what I said was right, purely as a stated fact, and nothing to do with heaven anyway!

I am as interested as you are to see what they discover with the LHC, but I hope it does deliver the goods after all. It would be a terrible waste if it doesn't.

You should realise that my major interest during my education was in fact on the scientific side as it was during my whole career.

Les, not intentionally doing a Clarke! :)