ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Heaven is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/888939-heaven-is-a-fairy-story-for-people-afraid-of-the-dark.html)

22BUK 17 May 2011 12:34 PM

Heaven is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark

Says Stephen Hawking:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...raid-dark.html

tony de wonderful 17 May 2011 12:41 PM

Hawkings is a very clever but stupid and arrogant man at the same time.

warrenm2 17 May 2011 12:50 PM

Ha ! What would he know about it? He's only been studying at the cutting edge of human research into the nature of matter and the Universe for his working life, whereas every fule knows the Bible tells you everything you need to know about how the Universe was created! How dare he belittle a 2000 year old sheepherders story (based on previous belief systems of Egypitians/Sumarians etc)!

What an arrogant idiot!

And why cant he just respect that other people have different unexamined antiquated beliefs that we brainwash our children with?

Leslie 17 May 2011 12:55 PM

Its an arguable point which cannot yet be proved either way.

Les

kingofturds 17 May 2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 10043700)
Ha ! What would he know about it? He's only been studying at the cutting edge of human research into the nature of matter and the Universe for his working life, whereas every fule knows the Bible tells you everything you need to know about how the Universe was created! How dare he belittle a 2000 year old sheepherders story (based on previous belief systems of Egypitians/Sumarians etc)!

What an arrogant idiot!

Maybe that's why god turned him into a dribbling vegetable who has to poop in a bag. Beware the blasphemous!

zip106 17 May 2011 01:00 PM

Uh-oh..... :o

:norty:

stilover 17 May 2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 22BUK (Post 10043684)

He'll go to Hell now for that. ;)

specialx 17 May 2011 01:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU
:lol1:

Carlh 17 May 2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by specialx (Post 10043734)

HA HA :luxhello:

For an intelligent man to "assume" what can or cannot be proved, he obviously has SOOOOO much experience being stuck in a wheel chair and lots of space travel that he does (not). Science is simply best guess.

Ive seen some freaking weird stuff with mediums and I do believe something happens when you pop your clogs. Im as rational as the next person, but some things in life (a good medium) shows you that we know <nothing> about the universe.

ChefDude 17 May 2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carlh (Post 10043763)
For an intelligent man to "assume" what can or cannot be proved, he obviously has SOOOOO much experience being stuck in a wheel chair and lots of space travel that he does (not). Science is simply best guess.

Carl, does it make you uncomfortable that there are people out there vastly more intelligent and knowledgable than you? ;)

alloy 17 May 2011 01:41 PM

HA HA :luxhello:

Ive seen some freaking weird stuff with mediums and I do believe something happens when you pop your clogs. Im as rational as the next person, but some things in life (a good medium) shows you that we know <nothing> about the universe.

Science very well maybe a best guess, but it is a logical best guess. A medium provides a service, all they offer is their best guess.....which IMO isn't as methodical or logical as science!

Hawking FTW!!:)

JPL 17 May 2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by alloy (Post 10043781)
Hawking FTW!!:)

Personified in LEGO !

http://www.webinapage.com/wp-content...wking-Lego.jpg

Petem95 17 May 2011 02:04 PM

:thumb: Fair play to Hawking for having the balls to come out with something which is clearly correct, but un-PC to say so.

Religion is just an out-dated way of thinking and should have no influence on modern society (although the PC do-gooders ensure that's not that case).

Devildog 17 May 2011 02:09 PM

Right or wrong, the most important message coming out of that article which of course will be overlooked by the religeous nutters is that you should make the most of your time on earth, rather than waiting for something better to come along :thumb:

boxst 17 May 2011 02:17 PM

So ... I don't believe in anything at all. My wife is Catholic and my children are brought up Catholic.

They are currently 11 and 8 and have a peace that I do not, that there is a greater being, that things are fine when you die. They still make the most of life, but think, "know" that there is something that will give them everlasting life.

I think that there is an eternity of blackness, nothingness and what is the point?

I know what I would prefer ....

Steve

JackClark 17 May 2011 02:23 PM

Isn't it the Rapture this week? I wonder what Steven will say when he's burning in the Lords fire. I'm going looting.

Are we allowed to talk about the Rapture? It's a bit terrorist.

warrenm2 17 May 2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10043705)
Its an arguable point which cannot yet be proved either way.

Les

Exactly! And when confronted by two arguements, one backed by repeatable demonstrable evidence and the other something that people have believed for 2000 years with no supporting evidence other than the holy word, its clear which side people should lend credence to! I rest my case!

warrenm2 17 May 2011 03:10 PM

For an intelligent man to "assume" what can or cannot be proved, he obviously has SOOOOO much experience being stuck in a wheel chair and lots of space travel that he does (not).

and

Ive seen some freaking weird stuff with mediums

WoW! Just WOW!......

EddScott 17 May 2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 10043836)
So ... I don't believe in anything at all. My wife is Catholic and my children are brought up Catholic.

They are currently 11 and 8 and have a peace that I do not, that there is a greater being, that things are fine when you die. They still make the most of life, but think, "know" that there is something that will give them everlasting life.

I think that there is an eternity of blackness, nothingness and what is the point?

Steve

I would argue that this is the main reason for religion in the first place. To help sentient life make sense of what happens to it when it dies.

Essentially what he says.

Geezer 17 May 2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by foxarm (Post 10043707)
Maybe that's why god turned him into a dribbling vegetable who has to poop in a bag. Beware the blasphemous!

I must admit, that made me laugh out loud, thanks! :thumb:

Geezer

Geezer 17 May 2011 03:43 PM

A best guess? That's quite ironic when compared to reilgious texts, which have no grounding whatsoever :rolleyes: What would you call the bible then?

Yes, something does happen when you pop your clogs, you rot, or get burned, or in some cases get eaten...... However, your brain is little more than a set of electrical impulses and storage media, and like them, when you switch it off, it's gone, because unlike flash storage, the storage medium rots away.

As for mediums, the only weird stuff they do is convince any right minded person that they are really mediums! :lol1:

Geezer

hodgy0_2 17 May 2011 03:59 PM

simply a comfort blanket for the thick

Blue by You 17 May 2011 04:03 PM

Religion is based on belief, not fact.
You can believe the world to be flat all you like. Doesn't mean it is.

If people are happier in a state of blind faith then so be it, let them be happy. Surely all it takes for God to exist is for someone to believe.

Where it all goes so badly wrong is when one faction objects to the other faction's beliefs/preferences. A little bit of live and let live would see us all a lot better off.

As already said (many times) you can't prove or disprove the existence of heaven, and perhaps we shouldn't try. After all we are all surely going to find out the truth in good time.

Personally I happen to agree with the learned professor. But that's my choice and I'm comfortable with it.

As for science being a best guess.. :Whatever_ :lol1:

Blue by You 17 May 2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 10043836)

Steve

Very well said.

jonc 17 May 2011 04:22 PM

... I do believe something happens when you pop your clogs...

Based on what exactly?

tony de wonderful 17 May 2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 10043700)

What an arrogant idiot!

And why cant he just respect that other people have different unexamined antiquated beliefs that we brainwash our children with?

He should study some philosophy and culture because he sounds like a philistine.

Science isn't wisdom and neither is intellect.

tony de wonderful 17 May 2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95 (Post 10043815)
Religion is just an out-dated way of thinking and should have no influence on modern society (although the PC do-gooders ensure that's not that case).

Is that a scientific statement?:lol1:

tony de wonderful 17 May 2011 04:54 PM

Hawkings is trying to say that religion is moral weakness, but for Kierkegaard it was the opposite with the 'leap of faith'....the 'fear and trembling' of taking that risk.

warrenm2 17 May 2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10044076)
Hawkings is trying to say that religion is moral weakness

Really, where does he say that? I would say he's going for rational weakness. But he obviously a philistine who knows nothing, so its easy to disregard him, in fact being in a wheelchair is clearly gods punishment! Anything else would be inconceivable

FlightMan 17 May 2011 06:19 PM

Taking a quote from this thread here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...e-we-know.html

5% of it is stuff we know
20% of it is dark matter (??)
75% of it we have no idea

Maybe the 75% is heaven. :wonder: