ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Rat In Ma ENGINE wot am I gonna do!? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/888750-rat-in-ma-engine-wot-am-i-gonna-do.html)

MRSIMPSON 15 May 2011 10:27 PM

Rat In Ma ENGINE wot am I gonna do!?

:(

Went to clean my MAF this morning, popped open the bonnet to be greeted with a large rat screeching as it runs across the top of the engine over the intercooler, and down into the depths of the engine...

I almost sh*t my load.

Didn't know what to do as I could see it hiding, so I turned on the engine to try and force it out, thought I'd done the trick when I went to have another look it was hiding by the top of the suspension mount, without thinking I gave it a little squirt of Carb Cleaner which it wasn't happy with - well I was panicking as my girlfriend was about to come out, and I knew she wouldn't get in the car if she saw the rat... The poor thing blinked a little when it got a face full of carb cleaner then ran down into the depths of the engine bay!

Didn't know what to do, tried shaking the car, starting it, banging on things, couldn't see if had escaped, so drove down to brighton. We did smell a little burning on the way though...But I think it wasn't our new friend.

On a serious note, what can I do!? I live in central London so I have to live with the rats, but how can I stop them getting in the engine, or worse the actual car!?!?

Totally rank.

S.O.S.

MattyB1983 15 May 2011 10:32 PM

LOL !!!!!!!!!!

Never ever heard of this, really don't know how you could stop it.
Heard of mice in a car but rats, never...

Funny though. Can imagine you driving down the road to find a huge rat sat next to ya...
I'd sh*t myself too.

dan2926 15 May 2011 10:32 PM

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

On a serious note tho thats not funny they can do major damage. Rat trap or a cat should see it out, failing that id get the pest control guys before he starts chewing some important stuff :nono:

Hope you get it sorted out :thumb:

MRSIMPSON 15 May 2011 10:37 PM

Was wearing shorts today too, kept thinking 'if a rat runs up my leg and I'm on the motorway, we're all in trouble'!

Yeah my main worry is that they're going to get a taste for the Subaru...Total nightmare.

kenc 15 May 2011 10:38 PM

:lol: One of the funniest things ive read..

Ok, you cant stop rats getting up around engine, but things like food in a car are usually what attracts them....
You need to check your car well, make sure all the rubber gromets are in place in bulkhead etc etc, some people can leave these out if fitting wiring for alarms, gauges etc etc, and its instant access to cabin, Also down in the wells at each side of boot, there will be air vents,make sure they are intact.

Food is what attracts them, love greasy things like crisp packets etc etc, and like to keep there teeth sharp and trimmed so they nibble on wires etc etc.
Had one inside a car once and it wasnt pleasant, think he ran across my feet one time and i driving:eek:

If your car is in a garage, make a habit of laying poisoin in bait boxes around your premises even a few traps, maybe set one on your engine over night.
And ffs if you see it again, dont spray it with carb cleaner, stick a screwdriver in it or something.:thumb:

jjones 15 May 2011 10:40 PM

always this risk when you run a de-cat

mik 15 May 2011 10:41 PM

If you have a rat in there I'd suspect your cat must be knackered.

(gets coat)

edit: beaten to the obvious joke... :rolleyes:

sunny1989 15 May 2011 10:42 PM

:lol: brilliant!

JonMc 15 May 2011 10:42 PM

:lol:

acstua 15 May 2011 10:43 PM

lol someone had to say it i guess Jjones ;)

RS_Matt 15 May 2011 10:47 PM

Get a British Blue or Maine Coon to rat it out in a garage, a lot of moggies won't touch rats.

obey1 15 May 2011 11:17 PM

rat

if you can get a pack of them large sticky pads if you can sit them anywere in your engine bay they are baited once they on them they never coming off:thumb:

a5h 16 May 2011 08:00 AM

:lol::lol:

dunx 16 May 2011 08:01 AM

Back in the early '90's I worked for a guy who accused "us" his staff of messing with his van, 'cos it stank something awful.

He dragged us outside and sure enough it was rank. Opened the bonnet and what was in there ?

A fossilised cat ! Crawled in curled up and died, then gradually cooked/desicated by the heat from the exhaust.

YUK !

dunx

P.S. Lofty has had mice eat the cover of his alternator...

MRSIMPSON 16 May 2011 08:14 AM

Think I'm going to put some sticky pads in, it's really giving me the creeps...

JDM_Stig 16 May 2011 08:38 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Batt...5531432&sr=8-1
you could try one of these stuck under the plastic wiper cover.

CREWJ 16 May 2011 08:47 AM

It's kinda hilarious :lol1:

I'd check that everything is working everyday.

Sleiper STI 16 May 2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 10041484)
always this risk when you run a de-cat

lol :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guv 16 May 2011 10:35 AM

A mate has had the same problem in his Audi is his neighbors Merc, chewed all the wires up and ate through all the insulation. The Merc's Bills was over £1200 + vat to get a new loom fitted!!!..

Best thing is to remove your under tray for bit so there nothing for them to sit on or chew on (they love the insulation for some reason on the tray and on the bonnet) , bait the area around your car with poison and keep your rubbish bins away from your car.

When the cars warm leave the bonnet open and keep an eye on it scare them off with something that will sting WD40 weedkiller, trust me Rats are very clever but if they go somewhere and get hurt they won't come back.

If you can get an ultrasonic anti rat device that can help keep them away but you will need an outside socket and can be pricey.

HTH

MRSIMPSON 16 May 2011 10:50 AM

Thanks for the advice, battery powered anti rat device on order, and I will take off the engine tray too... If I can muster the courage to open the bonnet again!

Anders_WR1 16 May 2011 10:59 AM

Go for a blast down a country lane, it will start to sweat if it's still in the engine bay!

scoobyraj 16 May 2011 11:13 AM

If it's hanging around it might have rat babies there so hasn't already left?

Stick to your plan, sounds good!

mrmadcap 16 May 2011 09:06 PM

There's an article in this months Total Impreza about about Rowland chewing through a loom of an Impreza

astra_dave 16 May 2011 09:25 PM

i know in Germany, places like Halfords and other shops sell Weasel repelent and Weasel alarms to keep them away from engine bays and such like places

obey1 16 May 2011 09:27 PM

rat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Cheese-G...577251&sr=8-16
i used this type of catcher when i had mice the little bas...ds:thumb:

bobtheboss78 16 May 2011 10:44 PM

ive had rat probs aswell one ate my knock sensor lead!!.. thanks to the lads at silverstone autosport they found it and fixed rather then fit a new one :)