ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Screwfix: false advertising. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/888448-screwfix-false-advertising.html)

alcazar 13 May 2011 08:27 PM

Screwfix: false advertising.

OK, to cut a long story short, a mate has bought a metal pent-roof shed from Screwfix. It was described as 2020mm x 1370mm, 7' x5' "nominal".

INTERNAL dimensions are given as 1860mm x 1250mm.

Now me and his eldest starte3d the build, his Mrs comes along and says it looks small, so we measure and sure enough it's 1835mm x 1235mm EXTERNAL dimensions.

Now that is a HELL of a lot smaller than what they said.

So he rings and gets told it's from an external supplier and they'll get back to him.

Upshot is, today, they ring him back and all they are prepared to say is, "We confirm that we are unable to supply a shed of the dimensions you ordered for the price you paid."

Trading Standards? Or something else?

Maz 13 May 2011 08:43 PM

Item not as described thus contravening The Sale of Goods Act, refund or replace.

Jamo 13 May 2011 08:50 PM

not fit for use?

pslewis 13 May 2011 09:25 PM

It's fit for use ... but, not as described.

Trading Standards will want a chat with them and they will have to change their advertised sizes.

Nothing else will happen, I guess that Screwfix used the suppliers details - the supplier using the importers details and the importer using the manufacturers details - at any point in the transfer these details can get changed ..........

PaulC72 13 May 2011 10:09 PM

Did he buy it a year ago?

Kieran_Burns 13 May 2011 11:02 PM

Maybe if he bought a 25mm x 15mm shed and put it next to it?

:D

Midlife...... 13 May 2011 11:36 PM

Stand a bit closer it might look bigger :) ....... it all depends on how you might look at the word "Nominal" in the advert which in this context would mean "estimate".

at an error of say 10% it's still not within the spec so I guess it's a return and refund job as it's not as described.

Shaun

The Zohan 14 May 2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 10038161)

Lol!

fatscoobfella1 14 May 2011 08:05 AM

Just return it and get your money back ?

Whats the problem ?

alcazar 14 May 2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 10038502)
Just return it and get your money back ?

Whats the problem ?

Yeah, that's what I would do, BUT:

He bought it three weeks ago on the sizes given. It was delivered Monday. He HAS to have it for this weekend, since he HAS to move his classic car from work this weekend and so the stuff out of his garage HAS to have a place to live this weekend.

All that is now NOT going to happen and he can't even get the next size up for ANOTHER two weeks:(

So their cockup has ruined his plans.

SPEN555 14 May 2011 10:24 AM

Could be worse. Being Screwfix.com; ordering some screws and they don't sell em :D

alcazar 14 May 2011 10:36 AM

Well, that's not as mad as it sounds. They used to sell almost every sort of and size of screw known to man.
Now they have cut back. Security screws I used to buy, no longer available:(

Not half the company they used to be before they got taken over by the Kingfisher Group, who also own B&Q.

Leslie 14 May 2011 10:55 AM

The size of the shed was misrepresented and he deserves consideration for that. At least they should compensate him for delivering an appreciably smaller shed then they led him to expect from the description.

I would contact the authorities if they are not prepared to give him a reduction in the price that he paid.

Les

alcazar 14 May 2011 11:02 AM

I think he was hoping to get the next size up at a discount, but they aren't prepared to offer him anything:(

RobsyUK 14 May 2011 11:52 AM

PML:lol:

Carl2 14 May 2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10037935)
INTERNAL dimensions are given as 1860mm x 1250mm.

Now me and his eldest starte3d the build, his Mrs comes along and says it looks small, so we measure and sure enough it's 1835mm x 1235mm EXTERNAL dimensions.

Now that is a HELL of a lot smaller than what they said.

It's 1% smaller. Your idea of a " a hell of alot smaller" is way different to mine (say 5-10% I would agree) and you didn't didn't even notice until someone else pointed it out to you. If he had alot of things over 1835mm long that won't fit in his new shed then fair enough it's a problem, but otherwise I wouldn't bother about it.

hodgy0_2 14 May 2011 03:12 PM

False Advertising - happens all the time

I went to the "Taste of the Raj" the other night, fvckers beat me with batons and forced me to design a complex railway system

whats that all about!!!

boomer 14 May 2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Carl2 (Post 10038897)
It's 1% smaller. Your idea of a " a hell of alot smaller" is way different to mine (say 5-10% I would agree) and you didn't didn't even notice until someone else pointed it out to you. If he had alot of things over 1835mm long that won't fit in his new shed then fair enough it's a problem, but otherwise I wouldn't bother about it.

Er, you might want to look up the words INTERNAL and EXTERNAL (and NOMINAL) before editing your post ;)

mb

Bubba po 14 May 2011 04:11 PM

Sorry to hear about somebody else's shed-related woes. :(

I've got two, you know. And one of them's new. :smug:

alcazar 14 May 2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carl2 (Post 10038897)

Nope, it was advertised as 7' x 5' nominal. Now to a guy who doesn't use metric measurements, that's what it means: 7' x 5', or 35 sq ft.

What he has been sold is actually less than 24 sq ft internal, so around 31% smaller, almost 1/3rd LESS than what the advert promised.

Now that's a heck of a difference in anybody's money.

CREWJ 14 May 2011 05:22 PM

:lol:

At least they are prepared to replace it.