ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Voluntary Redundancy can you ask for it (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/888334-voluntary-redundancy-can-you-ask-for-it.html)

vallumlj 12 May 2011 09:01 PM

Voluntary Redundancy can you ask for it

My wife is expected our first child in October and she is planning on not going back to work and was just going to keep her company car till the end of her maternity pay then hand in her notice.

This has got us thinking could she be upfront and ask for voluntary redundancy and take the money?

Any advice would be good.

fitzscoob 12 May 2011 09:05 PM

Take what money? Is the company looking to downsize and reduce staff members regardless of your wifes pregnancy?

pslewis 12 May 2011 09:08 PM

I have been asking for it for 5 years!!!

Yes, you can ask - but you may only get the basic statutory minimum, which is pants!

Midlife...... 12 May 2011 11:19 PM

The short answer is no........ If they are not minded to offer voluntary redundancy then the only option is resignation and that will be covered in the Terms and Conditions of the contract of employment.

Employment law expects that there will be a return to work or resignation, not an attempt to get as much out of the system to the detriment of other employees.....

Shaun

PS Pissy.............you are almost the same age as me, give it a rest LOL

speedking 12 May 2011 11:40 PM

It is not a person that becomes redundant but a role. All employees with similar jobs would be pooled and the least suitable made redundant. It may not be fair for her to be the only one given the opportunity to lose her job.

Chip 13 May 2011 11:03 AM

Ive just taken voluntary redundancy hence me sitting here typing this.

Chip

Clarebabes 13 May 2011 12:34 PM

Also, you need to be mindful that they have not given her enhanced maternity pay which sometimes needs to be paid back if the employee does not return to work.

Our scheme gives half pay for 12 weeks which does have to be paid back if you don't return to work.

LEO-RS 13 May 2011 01:12 PM

As above, if she is getting anymore than the basic SMP of £125pw or so she will likely have to pay it back if she does not return to work.

Public sector workers for example.

David Lock 13 May 2011 01:24 PM

Is this the same woman that you said you plan to marry as per your wedding car thread :confused:

dl

Leslie 13 May 2011 02:07 PM

Is it reasonable to hang on to the company car for her convenience while taking the maternity pay and then dumping the firm?

Les

TonyBurns 13 May 2011 02:42 PM

Vr is normally offered, you can ask for redundancy but it won't be vr, just your notice.

Tony:)

vallumlj 13 May 2011 03:51 PM

She asked and they said know thanks for the advice anyway.

David Lock 13 May 2011 04:22 PM

No - one of the trickier words in the English language :Suspiciou

speedking 13 May 2011 05:37 PM

It sounded like "know" ;)

Clarebabes 13 May 2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by LEO-RS (Post 10037204)
As above, if she is getting anymore than the basic SMP of £125pw or so she will likely have to pay it back if she does not return to work.

Public sector workers for example.

It's £128ish now :)

I am a public sector worker and would have to pay back the enhanced pay if I did not return to work for a minimum of 13 weeks. If I was to be made compulsory redundant whilst I was off, I would not have to pay it back, but if I went for voluntary, I would.