ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   HELP ME!!!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/887969-help-me.html)

acemodder 10 May 2011 10:43 AM

HELP ME!!!!!!

My car is running bad, at partial throttle the car is hesitating between 3500-4500rpm and this becomes less pronounced as the engine warms up or is under less load, so more apparent in higher gears. The car seems laggy, the turbo is not spooling until around 4000rpm and feels like its not making full boost, feels seriously underpowered and feels more like 150-170BHP and not where it should be. I've changed the whole exhaust as my downpipe was blowing, and fitted new spark plugs already and am now puzzled as to what it could be. HELP ME!

acemodder 10 May 2011 10:46 AM

Is it safe to unplug my MAF sensor ie. does the car have a base line map settings - ie would it show the MAF as being faulty? or would disconnecting my MAF and trying to drive it blow up the engine ?

LewisScoob 10 May 2011 11:56 AM

What plugs did you fit and to what gap?

acemodder 10 May 2011 12:48 PM

Bosch +11's as per the Halfords listing :)

alcazar 10 May 2011 01:06 PM

If you want sensible replies on here we need to know the following:

EXACT car and model year.
What mods are fitted to the car.
Has it ever been mapped?

musso2010 10 May 2011 01:12 PM

Disconnecting the maf while the engine is running proves nothing. You need to check the maf voltages to determine if the maf is at fault.

Have you checked the engine timing? I had the same symptoms and spent a lot of cash replacing parts to find out in the end my timing was two teeth out.

musso2010 10 May 2011 01:13 PM

I assume you have ruled out air leaks aswell?

As above, full spec please.

acemodder 10 May 2011 01:55 PM

Hey guys!

Just found out what the issue was.... my MAF sensor was broken, there was the same Scooby - but a wagon on the car park of the business next to where I work, I popped over and asked the guy if he minded if I could "borrow" his MAF to test mine. He had a spare one in his office. I borrowed that and fitted his MAF and my car was spot on :)

Good times. Now got to wait for him to come back so I can see if he wants to sell it :)

musso2010 10 May 2011 02:38 PM

Good result.

ScoobyDoo69 10 May 2011 02:59 PM

Awesome dude well done on getting it sorted. Just get it mapped now :thumb:

acemodder 10 May 2011 03:04 PM

And I've just bought the guys MAF sensor from him for £20 :)

Duncan at RaceDynamix isn't answering his phone :(

ScoobyDoo69 10 May 2011 03:07 PM

He's probably busy mapping dude. Just drop him an email/text to arrange a mapping session. He will get back to you - may just take a couple of days if he is busy :thumb:

acemodder 10 May 2011 03:10 PM

Is that his full time job?

ScoobyDoo69 10 May 2011 03:19 PM

Yup full time occupation, that and getting his Class Winning Time Attack car sorted :D I think he has an event this weekend, so he may be doing work on his car. Who knows, just be patient you will get a reply.

acemodder 10 May 2011 03:23 PM

Japfest this weekend I assume :)

LewisScoob 10 May 2011 04:16 PM

Or Time Attack, think thats at Knockhill on Sunday

dynamix 13 May 2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by acemodder (Post 10032272)
And I've just bought the guys MAF sensor from him for £20 :)

Duncan at RaceDynamix isn't answering his phone :(

Yeah sorry about that, this week has been manic with work having been down in dorset for a couple of days, then liverpool and chester and then hampshire ... now back home with one day to prep mine for knockhill :)

I think we chatted to each other on text - just waiting for you to confirm which of those two dates are good for you :thumb:

ScoobyDoo69 13 May 2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 10036849)
Yeah sorry about that, this week has been manic with work having been down in dorset for a couple of days, then liverpool and chester and then hampshire ... now back home with one day to prep mine for knockhill :)

I think we chatted to each other on text - just waiting for you to confirm which of those two dates are good for you :thumb:

:thumb: