ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Earning extra money what do you guys do (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/887799-earning-extra-money-what-do-you-guys-do.html)

vallumlj 09 May 2011 07:16 AM

Earning extra money what do you guys do

Apart from your full time job does any one do something park time to help with the money.

Anyone run a webshop / ebay any good?

Delivery driver?

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

JackClark 09 May 2011 07:22 AM

"Hello Sailor"

fastmike 09 May 2011 07:35 AM

I sell used Kidneys on E-Bay........I,ve been married 8 times and never divorced:norty:

what would scooby do 09 May 2011 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by vallumlj (Post 10029838)
Apart from your full time job does any one do something park time to help with the money.

Delivery driver?

Thanks

Paypal me £50 and I'll tell you how to make easy money from fools.

Ant 09 May 2011 08:13 AM

Go mugging at the weekends.

ditchmyster 09 May 2011 08:53 AM

Will, will give you a tenner if you let him bum you.:lol1:

musso2010 09 May 2011 09:04 AM

Ill give you a serious answer lol.

Ebay is a waste of time. The fees are silly.

I do gardening at the weekends. It pays for my fuel for the week so can't complain.

JTaylor 09 May 2011 09:04 AM

Delivery driver?

Thanks

I understand the margins in heroin are very good. :)

tony de wonderful 09 May 2011 09:15 AM

Fraudulent whiplash claims.

what would scooby do 09 May 2011 09:17 AM

Fly to portugal on holiday as a pretext, the sell your kid to the arabs
:D

Jamz3k 09 May 2011 09:24 AM

I install TV's and AV equipment for people who are too up themselves to read the manuals.

£45 for the first hour plus 2 devices, £15 every additional hour plus travel expenses depending on where the customer is situated. Its a good earner but i don't do half as many as I should because I vet the intelligence of my customers carefully to see if the hassle is worth the actual cash.

I'm also going to start supplying my own cables soon for extra cash.

David Lock 09 May 2011 09:30 AM

Knife and garden tool sharpening.

DonNedly 09 May 2011 09:38 AM

I muck around with peoples games consoles.
I repair xbox 360s, chip/mod them, i mod Nintendo Wii's and also turn original xboxs into media centres so you can watch movies/listen to music from your computer on your tv.

I used to buy broken xbox 360s, fix them and sell them on ebay but its really hard to make any money on ebay due to their excessive fees. They take 10% final value fee and you have to accept paypal now which ebay own and take a further 3%. Cheekily they take both fees as a percentage of the total sale not one then the other. And there is a listing fee too!

CREWJ 09 May 2011 10:10 AM

My Dad plays in numerous bands. He has 3 gigs every week, that helps with the bills.

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 10:14 AM

I make a sell fabric hand bags and iphone covers. No, really. I have a shop on a site called Folksy which is all hand made stuff - some of which is very professional, some not :D

The fees are not too harsh, 20p listing and 5% of sale value. I am happy with that as I am only selling things for about £15-20 each. The phone covers are £4.50 and cost quite a little to make. I also sell to work colleagues and friends.

I know not everyone is as creative as me, but there's always something. The thing I sometimes do too is to trawl the charity shops for good branded clothing and bung it on Ebay. I found a French Connection pure silk dress for £7 in a second hand shop and sold it for £35 on ebay. :D

Leslie 09 May 2011 10:17 AM

I used to go gardening and do odd jobs years ago to earn money to run my motor bike.

Les

Scooby Soon! 09 May 2011 10:25 AM

Thanks

don't do this

astraboy 09 May 2011 10:41 AM

I write.
astraboy.

The Zohan 09 May 2011 11:09 AM

just starting buying old motorbikes to restore and sell on also hunting down hard to obtain parts - next project is a 1979/80 Yamaha DT250MX.

stef_2010 09 May 2011 11:19 AM

car auctions :)

joz8968 09 May 2011 11:29 AM

What about ironing other people's musty clothes? :lol1:

chaffe 09 May 2011 11:40 AM

i used paint cars and do small mechanical repairs, but i earn good money now so not soo much need for it.

EddScott 09 May 2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 10030057)
don't do this

Would you not consider a webshop?

It's hard because most things you can think of are already on the web.

Ebay is just a straight forward con. I've sold quite a bit of RC and train stuff on there and I've been royally stiffed by the fees. I've also had to pander to idiot buyers who don't read descriptions properly because they can claim a chargeback and keep the goods and get a refund.

I wanted to sell Zippo lighters but ebay fees meant that at best I'd make £2 on each one - rather than £4 or £5 if the fees were acceptable.

I looked at webshops but decided not to bother in the end because theres a number of well established shops for lighters already.

I think these days, unless you have a successful real world shop that can help absorb start up costs of an online shop, unless your immensely lucky, it just won't happen.

I've bought and sold a few old RC cars on ebay and made a few pounds. Mostly I just do it to rebuild them as it's hit and miss whether I make or lose on each car. Again Ebay fairly ruins any chance of making more.

Our postie cuts the grass but he's started to take a pi55. Every week at £10 a go is too expensive and we are going to have to tell him to stop.

scoobydog63 09 May 2011 11:57 AM

Glad its not only me that now finds the ebay fees an absolute rip off. Why someone has never started a rival site I cant understand.

zip106 09 May 2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10029974)
Knife and garden tool sharpening.

Not enough people like you around.

I always had my paper-hanging shears sharpened until the guy who did it retired.
Found someone else who did it but they came back en-even - not good for cutting £100 a roll papers!

Now I just have to buy crappy but ready sharp ones and chuck them away :(

EddScott 09 May 2011 12:13 PM

Theres a few but ebay is too established.

You can't use ebay anymore to launch a new business and selling little stuff personally is too expensive.

Ebay seems to be 70% drop shipping these days anyway.

Selling odd stuff like old RC equipment you could have it on other auction sites for weeks without selling and it's gone first time on ebay but it's costs you £10 instead of £4 - for instance.

DonNedly 09 May 2011 12:20 PM

ebay is too biased towards buyers. You take all the risk as a seller and ebay will never back you up.
I do about 100 sales a year on ebay and i estimate about 10-20% of customers just don't pay or request refunds because they didn't read the listing or they think your offer of free postage covers outer mongolia.
Most annnoyingly you cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. You have to give positive or leave none.

Hysteria1983 09 May 2011 12:25 PM

Pimping. It's the only way.

Happy to help. :)

joz8968 09 May 2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DonNedly (Post 10030202)
ebay is too biased towards buyers. You take all the risk as a seller and ebay will never back you up.
I do about 100 sales a year on ebay and i estimate about 10-20% of customers just don't pay or request refunds because they didn't read the listing or they think your offer of free postage covers outer mongolia.
Most annnoyingly you cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. You have to give positive or leave none.

This is so true.

hodgy0_2 09 May 2011 12:38 PM

get the wife to go on the game - steady work, and from home too