ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   The most spectacular journey to work I can remember (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/88701-the-most-spectacular-journey-to-work-i-can-remember.html)

Reidy 19 April 2002 09:51 AM

This morning, whilst winding my way to work at 7:15 or so I witnessed the most spectacular crash.

I know this might seem bad taste and to call a crash spectacular might be seen as harsh or unfair but read on please...

I was following a bright red Dodge Viper, I am unsure of the model but it had the roof off and was bloody quick. It was being driven by a middle aged woman and she seemed to have a teenage lad as her passenger.

Roads were wet so we were not "racing" at all, however, we were making swift progress and I was tucking in behind her on overtakes.

Noise off this thing is absolutely awesone and it is soooo fast in a straight line - I'm enjoying it! The tyres on it were as wide as a scooby seat!

Anyway - into a roundabout - slowly, the exit wet and cars holding us up, the revvs in this thing build and the rear wheels light up. Nothing coming the other way or behind me and I'm thinking - here we go - a few do-nuts to show off or something!

The Vipers rear end kicks out right and then dry road and SNAP - it flings the car spinning the other way - veering across the other carraige way and slamming into the barrier. It span and hit it a couple of times - hitting at least 80% of the panels on the Viper.

My car undamaged as I stopped as she began wheelspinning but I stopped up ahead and put my warning lights on to warn oncoming cars. I walked back to check if they were ok and if they needed to borrow my phone and they were downright rude to me!

"Yes were absolutely fine" in a real "bog off I'm really miffed" tone!

I then got back in my car and sped on to work!

Osama Mc Donalds 19 April 2002 09:59 AM

Not good :(, glad everyone was "fine" though

I would not be fine if I had just written off my Viper however I feel sorry for the poor owner of the Viper passenger, driver involved, Dam :(

Andy Porter 19 April 2002 10:00 AM

Top story Reidy, sounds like she was a bit more money than sense ;)
Andyp

Reidy 19 April 2002 10:14 AM

She seemed like a "horsey" type!
If you know what I mean!

davyboy 19 April 2002 10:15 AM

That is funny!

Imagine her telling her husband:D

Steve 555 19 April 2002 10:26 AM

That was her husband riding shotgun. 20 years her junior :D

The Blade 19 April 2002 10:26 AM

Saw exactly the same thing happen a couple of years ago to a guy in a brand new gleaming AC Cobra on the road out of Watford towards the M1.

Up to a roundabout in the wet, booted it out of the other side, wehey backwards down the ditch on the left.

It's difficult to refrain from a smug look at them isn't it

http://www.smilies.nl/muziek/music487.gif

Rob

carpet 19 April 2002 10:35 AM

where roughly was this viper, I saw a viper yesterday ( stevenage area )

shame that a complete muppet owns such a nice car !

Squizz 19 April 2002 10:39 AM

I've been on the receiving end... :(

TR7V8.

A5 at the Western-Rhyn, came off a roundabout and started to apply a small amount of throttle doing about 40mph.

Suddenly I'm ' 90 degrees to the pavement, and launch over that and down the embankment, spinning out and crashing backwards through a fence. Ouch! :eek:

I'd always thought it strange that I'd gone through countless roundabouts on that very journey in the same manner. Having studied the rear-axle and the photographs of the damage and looked at the underside of the car during repair it became clear that one of the rear-trailing arm attachment points had given up vs. the torque... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Car wanting to go one way, and the live rear-axle another!

:(

Edited to say:

I had to endure all the "A nob who can't drive his flash car" Looks. :rolleyes:

[Edited by Squizz - 4/19/2002 10:41:53 AM]

Reidy 19 April 2002 10:44 AM

Near Buntingford on the A10.

Could be the same one - it was a monster - a real shame.

I still can't really understand if she was trying to have a laugh and show off a bit or whether something broke in the car!

Will never know now though.

Another funny thing was that the headlights did not smash but came away in a complete lump - both of them - they were in tact on the road as if someone had removed them carefully in a garage!

Huge 19 April 2002 02:15 PM

I must've missed this by less than 5 mins - I use the A10 but heading northwards.

Might have been there if I'd bought the Saxo rather than the Scoob today ;)

Hugh

Richard.S 19 April 2002 02:32 PM

Reidy,

Is that you Paul?

It's me Rich, gimmie a call! - 07956 263 534.

Nikko2 19 April 2002 02:37 PM

IIRC when people bought these new chrysler sent them on a driving course.

Reidy 19 April 2002 02:41 PM

Rich, is me, hope you're well.

I'll ring you later this afternoon.

You still in the plane, sorry, Skyline??????

Paul

Richard.S 19 April 2002 02:51 PM

Great to hear from you!

So much to catch up on!

You won't believe me when I tell you what I've been up to...

(warning, some of it is sad) :(

Speak to you later!

Rich.

Reidy 19 April 2002 03:07 PM

We should all try to guess what Rich has been doing - but the thread will probably be moved!

I think he has sold the Skyline for a Sherpa van and is struggling with his new business venture, selling tulips in Amsterdam!

Just a thought?!

Richard.S 19 April 2002 04:04 PM

No, not quite, but on the other hand, Reidy, I'm so sure you 'forced' that driver to drive beyond their (or the car's) capabilities! :rolleyes:

I just know it, come on, own up!!!

see you on Sunday.

Rich.