ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   any self employed hgv drivers on here???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/886961-any-self-employed-hgv-drivers-on-here.html)

bolasti 03 May 2011 10:06 AM

any self employed hgv drivers on here????

hello as above bit of a long shot pros cons is it worth while /pain in the arrrrrse? all input welcome.

im interested in self empolyed not owner driver theres a lot of agencys offering this option and its more money:wonder:

thanks in advance:D:thumb:

Jamo 03 May 2011 12:42 PM

Simon aka gc8 is a self employed hgv driver :thumb:

bolasti 03 May 2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jamo (Post 10019978)
Simon aka gc8 is a self employed hgv driver :thumb:

cheers mate will give him a pm and seek some advice:thumb:

SpecDscooby 03 May 2011 04:01 PM

I have a HGV license (class 1), a CPC and manage 250 of them, anything in particular you want to know?.

Will 03 May 2011 04:23 PM

With the price of diesel and barely no work! I'd stay away from tipper work!! 3.70 a tonne around here!!

bolasti 03 May 2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 10020246)
I have a HGV license (class 1), a CPC and manage 250 of them, anything in particular you want to know?.

hi mate i aslo have my class 1 (and cpc card thingy) im currently working for a company local to me multi drop lot of london work and all hand ball in a sentance a load of shiiiiite.

anyway theres a lot of agency work around my area and there is the option of being self employed are you better off being self emp/or better off paye?

i no that you loose the perks of holiday pay/sick pay as some agencys offer this on the paye. whats the pros cons? hope that makes sense mate:thumb:

bolasti 04 May 2011 02:05 PM

BOING

donny andi 04 May 2011 04:56 PM

Depends on how often they will pay you......daily/weekly/monthly....or 60/90 days :confused:

I'm self employed , has it's perks :thumb:......but there's times I miss that Friday feeling ie payday :lol1:

I can go 2/3 months without being paid , silly things like all your mates sat in the beer garden on bank holidays and you'll be working

Saying all that though don't think I could work for a company again , you get used to being on your own

bolasti 04 May 2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by donny andi (Post 10022287)
Depends on how often they will pay you......daily/weekly/monthly....or 60/90 days :confused:

I'm self employed , has it's perks :thumb:......but there's times I miss that Friday feeling ie payday :lol1:

I can go 2/3 months without being paid , silly things like all your mates sat in the beer garden on bank holidays and you'll be working

Saying all that though don't think I could work for a company again , you get used to being on your own

cheers matey:thumb:

bootsy 04 May 2011 05:48 PM

i know theres good money in delivering animal feed.

bolasti 04 May 2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy (Post 10022366)
i know theres good money in delivering animal feed.

animal feed? theres a company near me that do that:thumb:

Matt2732 05 May 2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by bolasti (Post 10020363)
hi mate i aslo have my class 1 (and cpc card thingy) im currently working for a company local to me multi drop lot of london work and all hand ball in a sentance a load of shiiiiite.

anyway theres a lot of agency work around my area and there is the option of being self employed are you better off being self emp/or better off paye?

i no that you loose the perks of holiday pay/sick pay as some agencys offer this on the paye. whats the pros cons? hope that makes sense mate:thumb:

I think you may mean the NOVA scheme or similar umbrella company and not going down the owner driver route?
http://www.novacontracting.co.uk/emp...emp_index.html
I'm employed so don't really know all the ins and outs but a guy at work used to do this and said its good if your on agency work. You can claim all sorts of expenses back and some agencies pay a higher rate as well.

I just don't like agencies, they can drop you one day to the next, security of being employed is what I like although I probably loose a bit on my hourly rate.

bolasti 05 May 2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Matt2732 (Post 10023877)
I think you may mean the NOVA scheme or similar umbrella company and not going down the owner driver route?
http://www.novacontracting.co.uk/emp...emp_index.html
I'm employed so don't really know all the ins and outs but a guy at work used to do this and said its good if your on agency work. You can claim all sorts of expenses back and some agencies pay a higher rate as well.

I just don't like agencies, they can drop you one day to the next, security of being employed is what I like although I probably loose a bit on my hourly rate.

thats interesing (claiming back millage so on) i dont mean owner driver no a few peeps that do/have done this and seems a rite pain in the arrrrrrrrsehole:thumb:

Dave Y 05 May 2011 08:03 PM

you can claim mileage allowance to and from work.
meal allowance
clothes washing allowance
extra allowance if on a night away
you have to pay national insurance
you have to work for more than one employer,i think the maximum you can work for one is 6 months not certain though.
not much point going down the owner driver route unless you are very lucky to pick up a nice little contract.Most rates have been cut to s--t by the bigger companies.

nick172sport 05 May 2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 10024329)
meal allowance
you have to work for more than one employer,i think the maximum you can work for one is 6 months not certain though.
not much point going down the owner driver route unless you are very lucky to pick up a nice little contract.Most rates have been cut to s--t by the bigger companies.

by steady eddie ;):D

Matt2732 06 May 2011 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by bolasti (Post 10023913)
thats interesing (claiming back millage so on) i dont mean owner driver no a few peeps that do/have done this and seems a rite pain in the arrrrrrrrsehole:thumb:

I thought thats probably what you meant. Self employed drivers have to comply with the WTD now so even harder for owner to drivers to make it pay without running dodgy. Thought about doing the umbrella thing but I just hate the way with agency work you can just get no work for a while and earn nothing.

You anywhere near an oil refinery? Wish I was, theres good money tanker driving if you get your ADR certificate.

Dave Y 06 May 2011 07:50 AM

the downside with the Nova scheme is they wont deal direct with you,only through an agency.

bolasti 06 May 2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 10024329)
meal allowance

thx mate it seems you can claim millage allowance if on paye (i may be wrong but a lot of peeps on net seem to think that) :wonder:

bolasti 06 May 2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Matt2732 (Post 10024939)
I thought thats probably what you meant. Self employed drivers have to comply with the WTD now so even harder for owner to drivers to make it pay without running dodgy. Thought about doing the umbrella thing but I just hate the way with agency work you can just get no work for a while and earn nothing.

You anywhere near an oil refinery? Wish I was, theres good money tanker driving if you get your ADR certificate.

no oil places near me mate but tankers driver on a good whack with the adr good times............bad times if some cuuuunt goes in to the back of you boooooooooooom:freak3::freak3::freak3:

Dave Y 06 May 2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by bolasti (Post 10025440)
thx mate it seems you can claim millage allowance if on paye (i may be wrong but a lot of peeps on net seem to think that) :wonder:

First i have heard of that....:confused:

bolasti 06 May 2011 04:53 PM

you me both mate i looked in to it and it seems if you are paye on a agency (you have to work on more than 1 contract and not be on the same for more than 6 months) then you can claim back your business miles to from work (truck net is very useful)
i may be wrong but it seems you can.

much work around your area (only 50 miles up the road from me)

SpecDscooby 06 May 2011 05:06 PM

Sro Bolasti i dropped offline.....ummm i would'nt go self emplyed. descent driving work like supermarket work (minimal haldling and good pay) only come via agency's and large ones at that.....i know "Grafters" work near the hoddesdon area, they are ok, and work a lot for Sainsburys, which is good driving work....

BTW a CPC is not a digi card, its a "certificate of professional competance" and is required by law to be able to be named on an operators licence, something that is also required by law if you want to be an owner driver. All HGV must be named on an operators licence, and that must be in a CPC holders name, so that the ministry know that you know what is required of a driver/ operator by law. Also it means i can sign peoples passports applications, like a Dr or person of trust...

bolasti 06 May 2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 10025682)
Sro Bolasti i dropped offline.....ummm i would'nt go self emplyed. descent driving work like supermarket work (minimal haldling and good pay) only come via agency's and large ones at that.....i know "Grafters" work near the hoddesdon area, they are ok, and work a lot for Sainsburys, which is good driving work....

BTW a CPC is not a digi card, its a "certificate of professional competance" and is required by law to be able to be named on an operators licence, something that is also required by law if you want to be an owner driver. All HGV must be named on an operators licence, and that must be in a CPC holders name, so that the ministry know that you know what is required of a driver/ operator by law. Also it means i can sign peoples passports applications, like a Dr or person of trust...

no worrys mate so paye for agency work? seems you can claim quite a few things.......millage food allowance so on.

my bad bout the cpc i no what you mean (i have my drivers cpc card) done the 45 hours my previos post wasnt explained very well. i dont want to be a owner driver i no a few and nothing but a pain in the arse mate always chaseing money under cutting stress stress stress.

what sort of hourly rate are the agency on around your way. the reason why self emp appeals to me is the fact a lot of the agencies offer more per hour.

most the work/agencies i would be approacing is around the crick area massive industry around there that was one thing holding me back weighing up the cost of fuel there and back but it seems claiming it back could be possible :luxhello:

Will 06 May 2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 10025682)

And apparently, the CPC is equivalent of having a degree?

My dad has a CPC through grand father's rights

A driver does need his Driver's CPC card to get on building sites. It's just a load of bollocks that you have to renew every five years! All common sense, but it does take something like 35 hours to do. All for a Drivers CPC card with your mug shot on it :D

SpecDscooby 06 May 2011 05:19 PM

I have never heard of claiming back anything on PAYE....??.....agency drivers are around £11 an hour around here, going up to £17 for weekends/ overtime etc......its one of those work the hours earn the money kinda of things....certainly i have a lot of agency rivers who have refused a £35k per yea full time job because they earn more on the agency....but work more hours....i signed off £1200 per week for some drivers....the money is there but you have to work the hoursand "manage" your POA to max out your WTD...

bolasti 06 May 2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Will (Post 10025701)

A driver does need his Driver's CPC card to get on building sites. It's just a load of bollocks that you have to renew every five years! All common sense, but it does take something like 35 hours to do. All for a Drivers CPC card with your mug shot on it :D

yes mate its defintly up there mate.

and your damm right about a load of bollocks just another way of taxing us (cost of the course so on) you suppose to do 7 hours (its a day off work i suppose:wonder:):thumb:

SpecDscooby 06 May 2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Will (Post 10025701)

Grandads" rights are no longer recognised, any CPC not taken under the new regs is not recognised,a driver needs a DRIVERS CPC, which agreed is euro bollocks and another expense to the average joe.

bolasti 06 May 2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 10025706)
I have never heard of claiming back anything on PAYE....??.....agency drivers are around £11 an hour around here, going up to £17 for weekends/ overtime etc......its one of those work the hours earn the money kinda of things....certainly i have a lot of agency rivers who have refused a £35k per yea full time job because they earn more on the agency....but work more hours....i signed off £1200 per week for some drivers....the money is there but you have to work the hoursand "manage" your POA to max out your WTD...

1200 per week jesus when can i start? they must be doing a lot of weekend work to get up to that:wonder:

35k a year would do me mate least you have the stability/guantee of a job as the agency can be a bit limbo....

SpecDscooby 06 May 2011 05:26 PM

trouble is £1200 during peak xmas weeks....£450 rest of time, sent home on 6 hrs, no work, next day 15 hrs no notice just do it.....its not all its cracked upto be imho...

bolasti 06 May 2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 10025719)
trouble is £1200 during peak xmas weeks....£450 rest of time, sent home on 6 hrs, no work, next day 15 hrs no notice just do it.....its not all its cracked upto be imho...

it does seem that way. i just want to try someing different pissed off with current job. tbh if got offered decent ful time perm pos would probably take that least if work for agency hopefully to a wider range of stuff trunking/shop delivers.........im just sick to the back teeth of mulitdrop 8 drops plus a day up stairs down stairs dealing with moody customers always complaining never turn up on time wankerz..........
glad i got that off my chest thats made me feel better:lol: