ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Does anyone work for..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/886462-does-anyone-work-for.html)

ScoobyStu82 29 April 2011 06:51 PM

Does anyone work for.....

Does anyone on here work for the AA? Need some "off the record" advice!

Petersti 29 April 2011 07:16 PM

i dont work for the aa but what you after ?

WildPikey 29 April 2011 07:56 PM

I did as a Mechanic in one of their service centres, Anything related to that side of things?

ScoobyStu82 29 April 2011 08:30 PM

Well basically iv got parts and labour cover up to £500. My clutch needs replacing which is covered on the policy but......the policy does not cover "friction" parts". As my clutch is at the end of its life and its probably the friction plates that have worn out is there any way I can still claim? My policy states that to claim I have to call out the AA upon breakdown and get towed to a VAT registered garage

Petersti 29 April 2011 08:39 PM

we sell aa warranty with second hand cars and your clutch claim will probably be rejected as its a part that has worn out not a part that has failed

mickywrx 29 April 2011 09:22 PM

Clutch is a wear and tear item, whatever way you try and look at it.

ScoobyStu82 29 April 2011 09:29 PM

But the policy wording says its covers clutches in brackets (not friction parts). iv got a friend who ownes a garage near me who agreed to tell the AA that the release/thrust bearings failed. Problem is, will the AA accept this or will they want to inspect this themselves? Obviously its impossible for the road side assistance to check this at the time of breakdown

WildPikey 29 April 2011 09:36 PM

Typically if the thrust bearing has failed then it causes alot of nasty noises and/or complete failure, If it's just slipping then they will know straight away :thumb:

ScoobyStu82 29 April 2011 09:41 PM

Cool thanks mate. So if I drive it till the clutch goes completely and then call them out they SHOULD cover it on a mechanics word that the thrust bearings have failed? Its wrong, I know but I just don't have the cash to pay for the full job myself

black ctr 29 April 2011 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyStu82 (Post 10013595)
But the policy wording says its covers clutches in brackets (not friction parts). iv got a friend who ownes a garage near me who agreed to tell the AA that the release/thrust bearings failed. Problem is, will the AA accept this or will they want to inspect this themselves? Obviously its impossible for the road side assistance to check this at the time of breakdown

fair play:lol:im sure someone in the aa will post on how to scam the system:D,just like a good advert to your pals business:Suspiciou

bugeyejohn 29 April 2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyStu82 (Post 10013595)

Im not sure its impossible to check any mechanic will know the difference within seconds,as said a failed bearing will make hell of a noise which wont be there,and the symptoms of a worn friction plate is a no brainer,good luck though.

Petersti 29 April 2011 10:15 PM

im interested to see how you get on with this

ScoobyStu82 29 April 2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by black ctr (Post 10013647)
fair play:lol:im sure someone in the aa will post on how to scam the system:D,just like a good advert to your pals business:Suspiciou

As I posted, I know its wrong. I was looking for some advice, not for someone to chops off

Mike-K 29 April 2011 10:43 PM

Look into if they cover clutch judder. Might be able to go down that route.

ScoobyStu82 29 April 2011 10:46 PM

Will do, thanks Mike