ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Silly question about kerbs..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/886088-silly-question-about-kerbs.html)

acstua 26 April 2011 10:48 PM

Silly question about kerbs.....

Ok i know this is a bit silly, but ive never done it and wondered what peoples opinions are

basically my mates place has like a 3/4 width road, so you cant just park on the road, you have to stick half the car on the pavement.
not usually a problem as theres a dropped stone further up for what was an empty houses driveway

now its been sold, ive not been there a while, and if they have a car outside the front of theres theres no nice dropped kerb for me to go up

so would you drive the car up the normal kerb? its (from what i remeber) about 3 inches high maybe...
and its have to be up at a slight angle too :/

personally im thinking its a very bad idea and will damage a wheel :confused:
but then if i do it slowly ...

id have to park quite a distance away otherwise, and also more worried about gettin up and then being blocked off the way i came lol...

anyhow feel free to take the piss outta my silly question :D

it doesnt help i have to drive up a 1inch/ 1 1/2inch kerb at the moment to get into my own car park as its a new estate i live in and the workers arent in no hurry to finish the main road......

CREWJ 26 April 2011 10:50 PM

I have the same problem. I HAVE to park on the kerb every day. My wheels are still fine and been doing it for about 4 years on this set.

Midlife...... 26 April 2011 10:58 PM

I've been parking on a kerb for a long time with my 18" Rota GRA's with Toyo's for quite a while and seems to be OK...........just don't reverse up the kerb with very expensive Prodrive mudflaps and rip one off as the rear wheel drives over iy :(

Shaun

chopperman 26 April 2011 10:58 PM

Doubt it will damage the wheel unless you hit the curb hard. Dont even think about it it you have a front splitter tho.

acstua 26 April 2011 11:01 PM

nah no front splitter, all standard apart from some 18" Rota's

Loco 26 April 2011 11:24 PM

make sure you attack the curb at an angle, and make sure the rubber of the tire is the bit hitting the curb, and not your alloy!! (crunch...)

prodriverules 26 April 2011 11:45 PM

As above it's all about the angle's here,get it right and all's well but get it wrong and:freak3:-:o-:mad:

53 26 April 2011 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10008646)
As above it's all about the angle's here,get it right and all's well but get it wrong and:freak3:-:o-:mad:

...i'll smash ya face in :D

Keep an inch block of wood in the boot to butt the kerb and lower the bump :)

prodriverules 26 April 2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 10008649)
...i'll smash ya face in :D

Keep an inch block of wood in the boot to butt the kerb and lower the bump :)

:lol1::lol1:
That's what I'd say to my missus if it was her driving

MattyB1983 27 April 2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10008589)
I've been parking on a kerb for a long time with my 18" Rota GRA's with Toyo's for quite a while and seems to be OK...........just don't reverse up the kerb with very expensive Prodrive mudflaps and rip one off as the rear wheel drives over iy :(

Shaun

I once reversed up a kerb (without thinking) in my evo 3 a few years ago outside a busy fish and chip shop in hunstanton. Had a set of rally style mud flaps on it. Flap got caught between wheel and kerb and pulled my entire Fu*king bumper off.
Looked like a right prat picking it up and squeezing it in across the rear seats. Neadless to say I didn't stay for any chips, lol.

RE54 27 April 2011 04:42 AM

if you go gentle youll be fine.

i do it all the time, not had an issue, but i am running 225/40/17, i wouldnt fancy it if i was running some low profile tyres on say 18s etc.

dunx 27 April 2011 07:54 AM

A lump of 4 x 2 sounds ideal...

acstua 27 April 2011 09:23 AM

lol 53wrx, they are still mint honest ! :D heh

MattyB1983, sounds like something id do :P

i'll have to have a nosey and see if i can find a few bits of wood to take, just incase
id phone ahead and find out what the score is with the empty house, but its spose to be a surprise visit heh :)