ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Slam Panel/cooling panel ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/885858-slam-panel-cooling-panel.html)

greatgonzo 25 April 2011 07:36 PM

Slam Panel/cooling panel ???

I like the look of one of these just for the bling factor as I like to keep the engine and bay looking good. I was wondering if it actually makes a difference to the cooling system as I found this statement from some of the manufacturers.

Radiator panel reduces the engines water temperature by up to 4 degree's Celsius.

Tested on Race Tracks, it helps keep you car running cooler, especially during hot summers.

It can withstand temperatures of up to 140 degree's Celsius.

Also a fantastic addition to the looks of your cars engine bay !!

:wonder:

MattyB1983 25 April 2011 08:05 PM

I've just bought a carbon fibre one. Can't see how it reduces heat but I only got it to smarten the engine bay up.

MaDaSS 25 April 2011 08:05 PM

Hi there greatgonzo.....
I went for one of these and bought/fitted by RCM. I to read about it and had my doubts.
Anyway, my water does stay cooler than it was before BUT i have no water temp gauge that displays numbers, all I can go on is the needle on the water temp gauge. I knew where this sat against the picture behind it, I know for a fact it now sits lower and so cooler. In real terms I have no idea what this means in deg's C, etc, nor do I know if this means its better either, but suffice to say, "it does what it says on the tin"

MaDaSS 25 April 2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10006038)
I've just bought a carbon fibre one. Can't see how it reduces heat but I only got it to smarten the engine bay up.

Matty, it reduces the water temp as it forces air through the radiator instead of the air going upwards and out of the gap at the top of the radiator to the front of engine bay. The slam panel closes this gap and so the air has to go through the radiator.

greatgonzo 25 April 2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10006038)

flash :luxhello:

greatgonzo 25 April 2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaDaSS (Post 10006040)
Hi there greatgonzo.....
I went for one of these and bought/fitted by RCM. I to read about it and had my doubts.
Anyway, my water does stay cooler than it was before BUT i have no water temp gauge that displays numbers, all I can go on is the needle on the water temp gauge. I knew where this sat against the picture behind it, I know for a fact it now sits lower and so cooler. In real terms I have no idea what this means in deg's C, etc, nor do I know if this means its better either, but suffice to say, "it does what it says on the tin"

Hi Mate
By what your describing it is doing something. Interesting.

MattyB1983 25 April 2011 09:35 PM

Happy days, flash as well as useful.