ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Ricketts Rad's Swansea - Open Sunday ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/884570-ricketts-rads-swansea-open-sunday.html)

Rally fan 555 16 April 2011 07:12 PM

Ricketts Rad's Swansea - Open Sunday ?

Hi - anyone know it they are open on a Sunday - had a look at the site but no opening hours :wonder:

Jimbob 16 April 2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 9990983)
Hi - anyone know it they are open on a Sunday - had a look at the site but no opening hours :wonder:

Phone them ;)

Rally fan 555 16 April 2011 07:32 PM

I tried from about 14:30 this afternoon - no reply :brickwall

Jimbob 16 April 2011 07:43 PM

Give them a try in the morning.

Take it that its a Rad needing a repair/re-core??

Rally fan 555 16 April 2011 07:53 PM

No Mate - My rad has died but sourced another alloy one which is great but on taking the standard rad out, the gearbox oil cooler is built into the bottom of the rad ! so I need to get a transmission cooler and re-site it with the standard pipes I have left from the g/box.

Looking on Ricketts site, thay look to have a good selection of oil coolers, which I'm hoping are off the shelf jobs.

Jimbob 16 April 2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 9991042)
No Mate - My rad has died but sourced another alloy one which is great but on taking the standard rad out, the gearbox oil cooler is built into the bottom of the rad ! so I need to get a transmission cooler and re-site it with the standard pipes I have left from the g/box.

Looking on Ricketts site, thay look to have a good selection of oil coolers, which I'm hoping are off the shelf jobs.

Ah ha!! that makes sense, I had Dragon Rads add a modine cooler pipe to a rad for my jeep, as I replaced the engine and the new one had a modine cooler.
But surely any cooler will work, just that the auto box "cooler" I`m sure works as a heat exchanger, so heating the box from cold and then cooling it once at temp.
So dunno about it, me I`d try and keep it as near to standard as I could, as I`ve nothing else to go on.

Cannon Fodder 16 April 2011 08:06 PM

Why don't you ask Ricketts to recore your old radiator?

It's got to be easier than having to find a new mounting point for an extra oil cooler.

I did say Ricketts from the off...

Rally fan 555 16 April 2011 08:17 PM

The rad I bought is tidy enough 42mm, though I hadn't realised until today that the cooler was combined and it was one unit !

The pipework will easy enough and mounting it should'nt be too bad either, looking at it, probably my cheapest option now, without having a new rad made with cooler combimed is too get a suitable sized oil cooler and plumb it in to suit.

You did mention Ricketts Ty and had I known that it was in intergrated unit, then I prob would approached them to sort one out for me. ;

Cannon Fodder 16 April 2011 08:33 PM

Try Peter Lloyd Rallying in Bridgend, I think they are open on Sunday morning and might be able to help.

Rally fan 555 16 April 2011 08:43 PM

Cheers Ty I will do Mate ;)

Rally fan 555 18 April 2011 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 9991137)
Try Peter Lloyd Rallying in Bridgend, I think they are open on Sunday morning and might be able to help.

No-one was open yesterday - bloody shirkers, no Oil Coolers in either Dragon of Rickettys today, Mr Lloyd had one though, so a quick trip down to him and I got one, went to Pirtek, Swansea for some unions and the job can now be done ;)

Cheers Ty for the pointer down to PLR ;)

Cannon Fodder 18 April 2011 10:58 PM

No problem Simon, at least you got it sorted in the end. :)