ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Car feels like its going to judder off the road! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/884559-car-feels-like-its-going-to-judder-off-the-road.html)

Morzy 16 April 2011 05:48 PM

Car feels like its going to judder off the road!

looking for some advice guys, went out with the wife earlier to do a bit of shopping.

Gave the car a bit of a blast for no more than a mile before having to break normally to nearly a full stop. when i came back on the gas the car started to wobble uncontrollably when accelerating, delelerating (engine breaking) normal breaking etc etc....basically it judders all the time.

The judder is so violent it feels like all 4 wheels have not been balanced, the tracking is out, its missfiring all at once!!:cry:

Stopped and turned the car off, left is 5 mins, turned it on and now all seems fine?? wondering if it could be a severve missfire but unsure as there was no warning light on the dash...:confused:

Anybody ever experienced this before? or can offer some things to check? disks and pads areonly 1000 miles old and i have had the wheels off and all appears to be well with them.

prodriverules 16 April 2011 05:58 PM

I had a similar incident a while back when i gave my car the beans and out of no where a severe misfire came on and felt like one of those's OH NO moments but after pulling over for a look it cleared and has been fine since.
Still haven't worked out what happened and being a mechanic/painter its very unusual and annoying to say the least:wonder:

Morzy 16 April 2011 06:10 PM

I had a less severe experience of this a couple of weeks back but had the EML light to go with it, changed the plugs and all was well until today.

Makes me not want to drive the car for fear of whats going to happen, especially i had my wife and 8 month old son with me today:(

Booked in for a remap next Saturday so this is the last thing i needed!

Take it if it was a coil pack it would judder over a certain RPM? and would do it all the time?

prodriverules 16 April 2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Morzy (Post 9990914)
I had a less severe experience of this a couple of weeks back but had the EML light to go with it, changed the plugs and all was well until today.

Makes me not want to drive the car for fear of whats going to happen, especially i had my wife and 8 month old son with me today:(

Booked in for a remap next Saturday so this is the last thing i needed!

Take it if it was a coil pack it would judder over a certain RPM? and would do it all the time?

All depends really mate,a coil pack can go down completely thus causing a continuous misfire or just cause a misfire when loaded ie in boost/higher rev's.

Morzy 18 May 2011 08:47 AM

Going to bump this back up, happened again this morning!

The engine smells really warm when its happening, as if one of the cylinders is not firing??

If a coil pack is on its way out, will you always get an EML? as i have no light on when it happens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

SinghSuperStud 18 May 2011 11:07 AM

Similar thing happened to me on the motorway last week but it was only at higher revs. Luckily I had my laptop and Tactrix cable with me so pulled over and read out the CEL codes.

I had a misfire in cylinder 3. Took it easy on the way home, replaced coilpack and all has been fine since.

I had a EML/CEL when mine misfired and it even started flashing!! SH1t me up and I pulled over within aobut 100 metres.

Morzy 18 May 2011 12:05 PM

Going to try a different set of coilpacks when i get home (got 6 spares fortunately!)

Only had the car for 2 months, but had to spend quite a bit on it already....hope its not a sign of things to come!

Glowplug 18 May 2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Morzy (Post 10045452)
Going to try a different set of coilpacks when i get home (got 6 spares fortunately!)

Did they come with the car??
Says quite a lot if so!!

Originally Posted by Morzy (Post 10045452)
Only had the car for 2 months, but had to spend quite a bit on it already....hope its not a sign of things to come!

:lol1:

It is a sign indeed Morzy. Fix um, fettle um or fuel um the spend is endless. :D

rssmotorx 18 May 2011 02:07 PM

morzy i had a similar thing a few months ago, sounded like a miss fire and run like a bag of sh1t, changed the coil pack and still the same, in the end i changed the walbro fuel pump just to take it out the equation and that was it run fine after that. might be worth a look.

gravy88 01 June 2011 12:48 PM

Sorry to bump an Oldish thread, but did you
Manage to cure it?

I'm having a similar problem at half and even on full load, it seems to missfire at 2.5k revs up until 3k then it's sweet as a nut after that.
It's boosting to 0.7bar. I can hear the turbo spooling up fine. Allthough i have noticed the odd time when i have been I'n 5th gear say at around 2.5k revs it's boosting to 0.5 then all of a sudden it will dump the pressure as i can hear it and my needle on my boost gauge wobbles up and down for a split second. Anything above 3krevs it's brilliant. But seems very sluggish I'n 4th and 5th gear. No fault codes, have reset ecu. I'm thinking about changing plugs, gunna check for boost leaks, could it possibly be a mucky fuel filter? Or a weak actuator? Hmmpffff

Morzy 03 June 2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by gravy88 (Post 10068695)
Sorry to bump an Oldish thread, but did you
Manage to cure it?

I'm having a similar problem at half and even on full load, it seems to missfire at 2.5k revs up until 3k then it's sweet as a nut after that.
It's boosting to 0.7bar. I can hear the turbo spooling up fine. Allthough i have noticed the odd time when i have been I'n 5th gear say at around 2.5k revs it's boosting to 0.5 then all of a sudden it will dump the pressure as i can hear it and my needle on my boost gauge wobbles up and down for a split second. Anything above 3krevs it's brilliant. But seems very sluggish I'n 4th and 5th gear. No fault codes, have reset ecu. I'm thinking about changing plugs, gunna check for boost leaks, could it possibly be a mucky fuel filter? Or a weak actuator? Hmmpffff

Hi Mate,

I have changed coil packs, plugs, Neatural position switch, all boost hoses.....etc etc but it didnt solve the problem.

Then one day i noticed that my car was decelerating far to quickly....turned out to be siezed calipers on both sides on the front! when the disk heated up it was warping the disk and cuasing the wobble;)

Hope you get it sorted mate:thumb: