ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   DECAT DOWNPIPE? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/884223-decat-downpipe.html)

madey 14 April 2011 12:03 PM

DECAT DOWNPIPE?

I would like a decat downpipe on my sti hawkeye but I had one on my blobeye and every six months or so the engine light comes on and it,s the same senser probe gone rusty. I had to buy three in 18 months and I don,t want to pay up again! Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be? Thanks for any replies.

Coffin Dodger 14 April 2011 01:16 PM

Never heard of that before :wonder:

You did have to do a mod for the second "cat on fire" oxygen sensor as it's not normally fitted with a de-cat but the ECU moans if it can't read it. Pretty sure you just stick a resistor in the connector. Maybe that is dodgy?

saiklon 14 April 2011 02:26 PM

Which sensor is that that goes wrong?
If the sensor failure does not in any way affect the car performance you can turn off that CEL permanently through open source tuning. A tactrix cable, Romraider and Ecuflash would be all you need.

madey 14 April 2011 04:26 PM

In that case I,ll get the decat downpipe and if it happens again I,ll get Duncan/dynamix to sort it out. Cheers!

Midlife...... 14 April 2011 04:38 PM

Decatting a newage throws up CEL P0420 ........ cat below efficiency (because it's not there). It's very easy to map this CEL out in opensource as mentioned above :D

Shaun

madey 14 April 2011 04:45 PM

With the blobeye I would get my local garage to turn off the light and then have another sensor fitted, about £100 with fitting. Nobody can understand why the sensor kept going about six months or so.

Midlife...... 14 April 2011 04:57 PM

Blobeye rear Lambda / 02 sensors are pretty rugged.... I'd expect that it wasn't a failure of the sensor itself but rather the sensor flagging up a fault (the missing Cat).

The CEL tends to come on after a long run at steady speed as the ECU ignores the sensor in stop and start short driving as the cat isn't warm enough to be at correct efficiency.

Shaun

madey 14 April 2011 05:13 PM

I can,t understand why when a new sensor is fitted it takes six months before the light comes on again. If Duncan can sort it out permantly then I,ll buy another decat (H/S) Thanks Shaun.

Midlife...... 14 April 2011 06:08 PM

It depends on what driving you do and when the ECU decides it has had enough and throws a CEL. The ECU tries to be clever and samples readings at intervals...

One trick was to buy a little adapter which moved the sensor out of the airflow and the fluctuating readings the ECU. I had a de-cat with an early ECUTEK and the CEL would light up and I'd turn it off with my SECS. It would come back on again but at a random intervals.

Opensource (and EcuTeK) can permanently map out CEL PO420 :)

Shaun

dynamix 14 April 2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by madey (Post 9987603)
I can,t understand why when a new sensor is fitted it takes six months before the light comes on again. If Duncan can sort it out permantly then I,ll buy another decat (H/S) Thanks Shaun.

I can sort it permanently :thumb:

Midlife...... 14 April 2011 07:52 PM

There's your answer then LOL :D

Shaun

madey 15 April 2011 04:35 PM

Thanks all, I,ll be in touch Duncan when I get the downpipe.