ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Worth changing a head gasket ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/883979-worth-changing-a-head-gasket.html)

Luan Pra bang 12 April 2011 03:36 PM

Worth changing a head gasket ?

I just purchased a 96 impreza with the head gone. I bought it on a whim and have now been told that the head gasket fix will be 1k which is double the price of the car. To be honest I am not sure its worth spending the money in general the car is nice with decent mods, stainless exhaust front mount intercooler turbo timer etc but I am thinking that it would be easier to ebay the car and buy a better one, anyone car to guess about how much I would get on eaby if I sold it for spares or repair ?

Gear Head 12 April 2011 03:57 PM

Oh dear. Make sure you do you home work before buying again.
Although by the sounds of it, if you only paid £500 for it, you could make a killing if you break it.
:thumb:

The Rig 12 April 2011 04:05 PM

2 ways of looking at it i guess,£500 + the grand makes £1500 for a decent car ? (if all other areas are good that is)

not a bad price for a classic really,what would you pay for a better one ?

MattyB1983 12 April 2011 04:06 PM

1K to do head gasket, you serious fella ??

Luan Pra bang 12 April 2011 04:22 PM

My mistake I meant it doubles the price of the car and I assumed that the head gasket would be £300 like pretty much every other car I have ever changed a head on never had one go on my other imprezas. 1k for a head gasket skimming and pressure test seems normal from what I gather. So a 1k car will now owe 2k. Its needs the front bumper refitting as well as it does not fit very well around the front mounted intercooler. As a motor trader I should have been more carefull but my nostalgia for another scooby clouded my judgement.

timmyajmy93wrx 12 April 2011 04:30 PM

i could be wrong, but i am pretty sure you wont need a head skim.
Unless the car has been thrashed to an inch of its life & other internals are old, knocking & damaged, i would not worry about it.
I just got a set of genuine sti 1.6mm head gaskets for my replacement block & was just over £100 from import car parts....

witchamptonscoobie 12 April 2011 05:51 PM

engine out to do head gaskets and remember theres two one each side

ukimpreza 12 April 2011 08:52 PM

steel gaskets and full cambelt kit 300 quid out fixed and back in in a day. where abouts you based?

Luan Pra bang 13 April 2011 10:18 AM

Milton keynes where abouts are you ? That seems a very good price.

alcazar 13 April 2011 10:42 AM

But remember that while the engine is out, it's worth doing the mains and bigends too, they have a habit of going soon after a headgasket repair:(

ukimpreza 13 April 2011 09:04 PM

im in lincoln. the 300 was parts only as did work myself. if you wanted to had it done fully ie new shells oil pump etc can do it for just less than 1k