ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Untethered jailbreak for 4.3 out (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/882939-untethered-jailbreak-for-4-3-out.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 05 April 2011 12:29 PM

Untethered jailbreak for 4.3 out

Has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...-how-to-guide/

Ant 05 April 2011 12:58 PM

Did mine yesterday with rednow on my mac , no problems here :D

boxst 05 April 2011 02:53 PM

Yes, using RedSn0w. The iPad was fine, the 3GS had a slight fit and I had to do it again and then it was fine.

Steve

Bravo2zero_sps 05 April 2011 03:04 PM

Well updating my iphone 4 to 4.3.1 killed it and needed a restore. Did this and then asked for a pin number :rolleyes: Entered the default for o2 of 0000 and it locked it now needing a PUK code FFS. And this isn't anything to do with jailbreaking just normal Apple updating. Fcuking winds me right up when it starts giving you this amount of grief.

FX02 05 April 2011 03:57 PM

If you have already jailbroken your phone, and then update it, will you lose all of the stuff you've downloaded from installous even if you jailbreak the latest software straight away? If you do, then can you back it up first and put it back manually?

Markus 05 April 2011 04:25 PM

Pretty sure you will need to add stuff back on as the pwnage system requires a restore on the device. I will probably give it a shot later and report back as I am on 4.1 at present

Bravo2zero_sps 05 April 2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by FX02 (Post 9972673)
If you have already jailbroken your phone, and then update it, will you lose all of the stuff you've downloaded from installous even if you jailbreak the latest software straight away? If you do, then can you back it up first and put it back manually?

Backup your phone first, update it and then jailbreak and then do a sync and everything will come back on to it.

boxst 05 April 2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by FX02 (Post 9972673)

The back-up will copy back all your applications. So you install 4.3.1, jailbreak, restore from back-up.

Steve

Bravo2zero_sps 05 April 2011 05:13 PM

The jailbreak step also assumes once done you go and install appsync (installous install includes it) etc before doing the sync with itunes otherwise it wont sync back your apps.

Ant 05 April 2011 05:39 PM

I paid for pkgbackup brilliant app from cydia to back up all cydia apps and tweaks, upload your backup to dropbox then restore once jailbroken again.

Saves me hours add repos and downloading tweaks

FX02 05 April 2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 9972819)
The jailbreak step also assumes once done you go and install appsync (installous install includes it) etc before doing the sync with itunes otherwise it wont sync back your apps.

I'll give it all a go then. Cheers

Markus 05 April 2011 06:57 PM

Just about to give it a shot, will report back.

Oh and when people mention installous, are you actually talking about Hackulo.us?

boxst 05 April 2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 9973035)
Just about to give it a shot, will report back.

Oh and when people mention installous, are you actually talking about Hackulo.us?

The repository of cydia.hackulo.us but the application of installous from that repository.

Markus 05 April 2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 9973058)
The repository of cydia.hackulo.us but the application of installous from that repository.

Ok, thought that was possibly the case. Checked my repositories before JB'ing anyway. Just restored ok, adding "AppSync for 4.0+" from the Hackulo.us repo, and then will synch device to get apps back on, and finally spend 30 mins getting many gig worths of music back onto the device, thankfully I've got a playlist containing everything the iPhone had on it prior to the restore.

Garfield2004 06 April 2011 12:32 PM

I read the above and think what's the point?

boxst 06 April 2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Garfield2004 (Post 9974250)

The happy legal (ish) point is that you can run things that Apple didn't intend you to: Sharing your 3G connection (although that is now included, at a cost), loading emulators etc..

The illegal reason is that you can run pirated applications.

Steve

Markus 06 April 2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Garfield2004 (Post 9974250)

I like it from a development viewpoint as it allows me to test a few things out, to see if there might be any way for others with jailbroken phones to access things in an app they should not be able to, for example, grab an encrypted file from within an application's folder and copy it elsewhere to access it.

There is also the issue of unlocking a phone to work on any network. Only recently has Apple provided factory unlocked phones, prior to that it was up to the network if they wanted to unlock it for you at end of contract. Unlocking is of advantage if you travel to different countries and wish to use a local SIM card, and thus avoid horrendous data / voice roaming charges.