ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2004 JDM STi (Import) Car Tax £445!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/882826-2004-jdm-sti-import-car-tax-445-a.html)

scoobslayer 04 April 2011 02:52 PM

2004 JDM STi (Import) Car Tax £445!!

I have a 2004 JDM STi (Import) which I thought should have been in the £265 per annum tax bracket. It is in £445 bracket because it was first registered in 2007 in the UK. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or can I appeal to get this amended? :brickwall

bigsinky 04 April 2011 02:56 PM

think it has to do when the car is first registered in the uk and nothing to do with actual age. bit harsh IMHO. what about first year tax for >255gm/CO2 from this month. 1000 spon diddly doolicks :eek:

Gear Head 04 April 2011 03:07 PM

I think the whole system is pants.
How can my wifes car that has around 120g/km cost £20 a year to tax where as my bog standard 1.6 ford focus with around 160g/km costs £185! Hardly fair is it?

So basically, if you want a bit of comfort or speed for that matter, they will bend you over, dismiss with the pleasantries such as lube and then proceed to give you bloody good raping! :razz:

I really can't see why it can't be pro-rata.

Jaybird-UK 04 April 2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 9970787)
I think the whole system is pants.
How can my wifes car that has around 120g/km cost £20 a year to tax where as my bog standard 1.6 ford focus with around 160g/km costs £185! Hardly fair is it?

Its a total scam dreamt up by the eco nutters to fleece those that enjoy motoring out of more cash!

Imagine if your wife does 20,000 miles a year (in her 120g/km car) and you only do 10,000 miles a year (in your 160g/km car) - now who has the greenest car?!

Complete bollox

The Trooper 1815 04 April 2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by scoobslayer (Post 9970761)
I have a 2004 JDM STi (Import) which I thought should have been in the £265 per annum tax bracket. It is in £445 bracket because it was first registered in 2007 in the UK. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or can I appeal to get this amended? :brickwall

Have you had a renewal notice?

You may find it's not the latter, the DVLA did drop a knacker and some people have paid the early rates for dated cars imported at a later date.

Ring up and find out.

scoobslayer 11 April 2011 09:26 PM

thanks for all replies - interesting to note i appear to have been singled out - not got renewal form through just yet - am hoping for a nice surprise when it does! somehow i got a feeling they will still try to take the p**s. i think i will ring em also cheers all. i will let you know how i get on.

Terminator X 11 April 2011 10:24 PM

Appeal fella. It used to be the case (as you above) as my 54 plate Spec C was in the highest bracket a few years back. The Govt have since rolled it back so now tax is based on original reg date rather than import date :thumb: I might try & claim back my overpayments :brickwall

TX.

scoobslayer 12 April 2011 02:03 PM

Some good news hopefully - i went on DVLA website

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...pro=tax_online

and punched in my reg number & make and low and behold it comes up with this:- (sorry forum doesnt allow copy paste of screen print) £260 for 12 months!!!!!!!!!

needless to say i am well pleased as long as the renewal reflects same info. I wonder if i can get any tax back having already paid £239.25 in November Last Year!! Might be worth a letter maybe?

scoobslayer 12 April 2011 03:28 PM

just been on to DVLA - they say they have overcharged me and to write in to request a refund - at least i can fill the tank again knowing that most of it will go back to the government - no matter which way you turn, they have got you bent over begging for mercy! bar stewards.