ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Coolant overflow problem...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/882729-coolant-overflow-problem.html)

Kevin_STI 03 April 2011 08:31 PM

Coolant overflow problem......

Hi I recently had a Jap speed FMIC fitted and as one of the pipes goes down between the battery and radiator I had to replace the OEM overflow coolant tank.

The kit came with a much smaller tube in which we fitted as normal.

The problem is when the engine hot the coolant is overflowing the smaller tube up until the fans kick in to suck the coolant back through in which all the coolant is sucked back in.

The 1st time a lot of coolant dropped out on to to the floor enough to create a puddle. It's done this around 5 times everytime less coolant comes out than the time before and it's just got to a point now where the coolant gets to the top of the replacement tank then fans kick in and sucks it dry again?

I have checked the coolant level in the header tank every morning since and it is still a good half full still :wonder:

Now the main question is, is the replacement overflow tank just too small or is there a problem with my cooling system, even though the car cools down fine and the temp gauge is spot on? everytime?

Any advice welcome...

Kev

ukimpreza 03 April 2011 09:30 PM

never heard of having to change the overfolw tank to fit front mount. i had to change the washer fluid tank for a smaller one. could be your cap on header tank needs replacing.

r1c 03 April 2011 09:33 PM

sounds like the bottle maybe to small, if the problem wasnt there before!

maydew 03 April 2011 09:55 PM

assuming newage,have you recently changed coolant at same time etc etc

Kevin_STI 03 April 2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ukimpreza (Post 9969634)
never heard of having to change the overfolw tank to fit front mount. i had to change the washer fluid tank for a smaller one. could be your cap on header tank needs replacing.

Yep its the way they have designed the pipe that fits between the batt and rad, the original overflow plastic model is too big so the pipe will not fit in wat so ever...
I have changed the cap on the header tank and on top of the rad both 1.3 bar caps..

Originally Posted by r1c (Post 9969642)
sounds like the bottle maybe to small, if the problem wasnt there before!

Yeah I thought so too just messing about finding a bottle that will fit between the gap:wonder:

Kev

maydew 03 April 2011 09:58 PM

try putting the old caps back on

Kevin_STI 03 April 2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 9969702)
assuming newage,have you recently changed coolant at same time etc etc

Yeah I changed it around 1K miles ago as I had my engine rebuilt at the same time....

maydew 03 April 2011 10:02 PM

bit off topic what happen to the engine?

Kevin_STI 03 April 2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 9969715)
try putting the old caps back on

Thanks, but silly question but Y?

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 9969725)
bit off topic what happen to the engine?

Bottom end went knock knock whos there!.....

maydew 03 April 2011 10:09 PM

silly question? maybe so

but sometimes 1.3 bar rad caps can do more harm than good standard ones are somethin like 1.1 and 0.9? and do the job fine