ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Olympics Poll (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/882190-olympics-poll.html)

urban 31 March 2011 10:12 AM

Olympics Poll

Whats your views?

Personally I think its gonna be a bit sh!t, it'll cost the country a fortune and most people won't be able to afford the cost of tickets that rip off Britain appear to be demanding

Leslie 31 March 2011 11:41 AM

Its a good thing to have world wide sport which was the original Olympic ideal.

What we actually have is an event where the host country feels it is vitally important to have the biggest "look at me" opening and closing ceremonies, more important even than the events themselves, which costs an enormous amount of cash which we can ill afford.

I think the Olympics has lost its way from the original idea behind it.

Les

urban 31 March 2011 12:42 PM

Have you seen the costs of the hotels in London?
Talk about sticking the arm in.

Typical rip off Britain!

Jaybird-UK 31 March 2011 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Poll fail!

You allow people to tick all options thus contradicting the answers
https://www.scoobynet.com/attachment...1&d=1301572793

Coffin Dodger 31 March 2011 01:21 PM

Was looking at the event list to see if it was worth applying for anything. Personally find athletics, gymnastics, swimming etc. to be a bit dull. I'm tempted to try to get along to a football match or two but IIRC £25 is the cheapest seat you can get, now is it worth spending this to see what could end up to be a couple of amateur sides playing each other, or save my cash and go and see my preferred premiership team instead when the season starts?

Other than that the mountain biking is quite close to where my parents live, and as a keen MTB'er myself it could be interesting, but again ££ to go and stand in a field, especially as it's somewhere I used to wander and cycle around often when I was younger for free.

So undecided at present :lol1:

madscoob 31 March 2011 01:29 PM

in plain english A WASTE OF TIME AND OUR MONEY
bit like spending thousands on booze n food and a dj and hiring a local night club then inviting a few frends round and charging them 2quid each all in.

urban 31 March 2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9963816)
Poll fail!

You allow people to tick all options thus contradicting the answers
https://www.scoobynet.com/attachment...1&d=1301572793

No - thats because you're being a cock ;)

Its been purposely set so that people can pick multiple answers.

specialx 31 March 2011 02:23 PM

It's going to be a bomb fest! (hopefully not!)

I'm not taking my kids anywhere near London while the games are on.

Just my thoughts anyways.

Ads :thumb:

IWatkins 31 March 2011 02:56 PM

Coverage on TV will be better and cheaper than being there.

I don't care what anybody says, the Olympics are there to make huge amounts of money for a very few people using taxpayers money for initial capital costs.

mgcvk 31 March 2011 03:09 PM

It'll make a change from the cricket. Why is there so much cricket? There never used to be so much cricket. I don't mind cricket.....but not this much cricket!

jef 31 March 2011 03:37 PM

toal waste of time and money in a time where we have fck all to waste,

same as the commonwealth games in glasgow, its bankrupt the council and cost hundreds of people there jobs, oh what a good idea that was???

why anybody would think either is good is fcking beyond me.

Simon C 31 March 2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by specialx (Post 9963964)
It's going to be a bomb fest! (hopefully not!)

Ads :thumb:

They have already thought of that!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...n-Britain.html

Myles 31 March 2011 03:48 PM

Itll be fantastic, the next Olympics HAS TO be better than the last, or thats what the Olympic Movement expect, but itll cripple us financially(we are crippled already, lets say quadraplegic)

WhatswiththeR 31 March 2011 03:55 PM

Personally I think the Olympics will be a waste of time and money. All its going to cause is more congestion on the transport system, make everything more overpriced then what it is already. Not to mention the appeal of a terriost attack. And because I work for one of londons' major stations they're saying we can't have any holiday when the Olympics or Paralympics are on.

dpb 31 March 2011 03:58 PM

id prolly think its goona be ****e if i lived in ireland/highlands .

Should be very good for londoners and especially west ham supporters :)

joz8968 31 March 2011 04:13 PM

I'm only interested in perving at the female athletes' arses.

Esp. Jess Ennis's. ;)

David Lock 31 March 2011 06:12 PM

Isn't it 6 million tickets or some mammoth number - that's a lot to shift so I guess it will fill up with freebies and coach trips for the kids.

Poll needs a "I'm a lazy sod (and pretty broke) and will watch the best bits on TV" option.

I can see the main stadium rotting away over the years perhaps with a few sad West Ham supporters hanging around a stadium that they can't afford to rent.

dl

Hammer man 31 March 2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9964114)
Should be very good for londoners and especially west ham supporters :)

I dont think so:nono:

alcazar 31 March 2011 07:15 PM

You forgot this option:

It's just MORE money spent on London and the South East :mad:

David_Dickson 31 March 2011 08:19 PM

I like the principal of the Olympics - athletes competing for supremacy, but not in London.
IMO there should be a stadium built somewhere - Greece maybe? home of the Olympics - that is mainained to the high standards required and everyone sends their competitors there every 4 years for the games. No pomp, no fancy opening ceremonies, just the best athletes in their fields competing to find the best. Accessible ticket prices for the public to view, sponsorships and TV rights to pay for the upkeep and concentrate on the Sport.
The traveling circus it has become has lost its way from the original vision and reeks of a nice little earner for those high up in the chain.

jods 31 March 2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 9963530)
Whats your views?

Personally I think its gonna be a bit sh!t, it'll cost the country a fortune and most people won't be able to afford the cost of tickets that rip off Britain appear to be demanding

£900 for 4 Tennis Tickets! "For Cough"
£600 for 4 Final Ceremony! "Goan fork orf"

I applied for the above under the affluence of incahol a few days ago!
:brickwall

Please don't get me wrong but I truly truly hope that the opening ceremony isn't an embarrasment like the games that were held in Manchester a few years ago and televised live worldwide. It was sh!t.

Terminator X 31 March 2011 10:27 PM

It'll be fookin chaos in London ... bad enough trying to get around today FFS :cry:

TX.

fatherpierre 31 March 2011 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9964850)
It'll be fookin chaos in London ... bad enough trying to get around today FFS :cry:

TX.

Oh yes! It's going to be mental, and will only take one little glitch to bring the whole lot to a standstill.

The system can barely cope now at peak times.

Trout 31 March 2011 11:01 PM

What a miserable bunch of feckers!

It will be great and an example of Great Britain.

speedking 01 April 2011 01:32 PM

Twenty Twelve :thumb:

dpb 01 April 2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9964932)
What a miserable bunch of feckers!

Its the British condition !

David Lock 01 April 2011 02:29 PM

I think if I lived in the SE with teenage kids I would try and make the effort and cost of at least one trip to the games just so they could say "I was there".

But I don't and I haven't so TV it is.

When I did live in London I did try and see some of the classic events such as a Wimbledon final (behind a pillar :)), the Epsom Derby, Opening of Parliament, Chelsea Flower Show and Crufts. And my dad took me to the Clay vs Cooper World Heavyweight fight which I will never forget. Meant to do Trafalgar Sq on New Year's eve but never managed that!

dl

dpb 01 April 2011 05:02 PM

I guess in truth even when they started, tickets for the games would have been hard to come by , probably impossible for the layman

SpecDscooby 01 April 2011 05:30 PM

I wanna get tickets although watched some Olympic action in Barcelona......it is in truth dull.....mortals wont get 100M sprint finals tickets and the long waits between events are boring......i intend to watch a bit just to say i did, and incorporate it into a solid day on the p1ss around the south bank:) Far more fun:)

urban 01 April 2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 9964723)
£900 for 4 Tennis Tickets! "For Cough"
£600 for 4 Final Ceremony! "Goan fork orf"

I applied for the above under the affluence of incahol a few days ago!
:brickwall

Please don't get me wrong but I truly truly hope that the opening ceremony isn't an embarrasment like the games that were held in Manchester a few years ago and televised live worldwide. It was sh!t.

Exactly my point.
The ticket prices are massively overpriced.
And god help anyone who will have to stay overnight in a hotel in rip off Britain
Those £150 per head tickets for the final ceremony - I'm sorry, but you'll be able see fcuk all