ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is this the start of a scam? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/882186-is-this-the-start-of-a-scam.html)

alcazar 31 March 2011 09:52 AM

Is this the start of a scam?

Recently sold some lights on e-bay. Despite stating I'd NOT post outside the UK, the winning bidder is based in Poland :rolleyes:

On contacting him, he wants to pay me, and me send the item to his mate in the UK who will bring it him next time he's home.

Do I go for this or tell him to whistle?

Since responding, explaining that the lioghts won't be any good for Poland anyway due to their LH dip, I have received no further communication.

What would other e-bayers do? Relist?

SPORTWAGONROY 31 March 2011 10:08 AM

Ye I would relist them mate you stated no postage
Out side uk so no postage relist them.

joz8968 31 March 2011 10:22 AM

I hate it when that happens! :brickwall

Next time, can you not alter the selling preferences so that foreign buyers don't get to see your future listings...???

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2011 10:33 AM

Just sold that Tommee Tippee set and a polish woman used buy it now on egay. Luckily she's in Blackpool so I sent it recorded to cover myself. Seemed polite enough with broken engrish.

ALi-B 31 March 2011 10:35 AM

eBay does seem to bring the worst out in society.

Finally sold that hideous watch of mine. Only to find eBay had banned the winning bidder for suspicious activity.

I tried ringing the winning bidder to just make sure (I really do want the watch gone), only to find an incoherant drunk on the other end of the line. I suppose it makes a change from a scammer. :mad:

Previous auction was won by someone who lives in Nigeria wanting it posted to a friend in London. :rolleyes:

On teh otherhand, I sold one of our old TVs :).....£35....it cost over £1000 when it was new (natural motion CRT with 5.1). :(

scubbay 31 March 2011 10:41 AM

You can set up your listings so that people from outside the UK cannot bid

alcazar 31 March 2011 10:57 AM

Aye, I've done that with a pair of foglights now on auction.

I'll alter the listing to do the same when I relist.

Wurzel 31 March 2011 03:38 PM

Can't see the problem! I often get stuff and get it posted to mates in the UK as the seller is to bone idle to post stuff to Germany, inspite of the fact he has to package stuff up and take it to the post office anyway.

Wurzel 31 March 2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by scubbay (Post 9963575)
You can set up your listings so that people from outside the UK cannot bid

Yeah and what a pain in the farkin ar5e it is to when they do that? Have you ever stopped to consider that there may be Brits abroad that need stuff they can't get abroad!!! But still have an address, relatives or mates in the UK that stuff could be posted to.

what would scooby do 31 March 2011 03:55 PM

I always have the "No forrins" option selected on my ebay auctions.

alcazar 31 March 2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 9964076)
Can't see the problem! I often get stuff and get it posted to mates in the UK as the seller is to bone idle to post stuff to Germany, inspite of the fact he has to package stuff up and take it to the post office anyway.

To start with I was ready to do as he asked, but I haven't heard from him for two days now.
How long should I wait for payment?

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9964192)
To start with I was ready to do as he asked, but I haven't heard from him for two days now.
How long should I wait for payment?

I waited nearly 3 days for Paypal payment for the Tommee Tippee thing I sold on eBay. Then made them wait the 4-5 working days it takes to clear in my account before posting. So nearly two weeks but sent recorded too. Admittedly to a Polish girl in Blackpool :lol1:

Jamo 31 March 2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9963566)
Just sold that Tommee Tippee set and a polish woman used buy it now on egay. Luckily she's in Blackpool so I sent it recorded to cover myself. Seemed polite enough with broken engrish.

have you seen that set is only £55 in toys r us now? ;) :D

not bothered I didnt get it now lol.

id ask them to send payment by pp gift mate to make sure they dont recall the cash, other than that id send it to them as you are sending it to a uk address.

J

David Lock 31 March 2011 05:57 PM

If it's not a large sum involved why don't you ask Polish guys to mail you Euros and you post to his pal in UK? Seems straightforward enough. Large amount ask for bank transfer. dl

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jamo (Post 9964295)
have you seen that set is only £55 in toys r us now? ;) :D

not bothered I didnt get it now lol.

id ask them to send payment by pp gift mate to make sure they dont recall the cash, other than that id send it to them as you are sending it to a uk address.

J

:eek::eek:

Good job James!

I posted it easily enough yesterday but it was £12 to send recorded. At worst any funny business will see Paypal contact me but I haven't any cause to be suspicious currently. :thumb:

alcazar 31 March 2011 07:05 PM

It's around £100, but as I said, no contact now for two days. Item ended Sunday night.

If still no contact by tomorrow morning, relisted it is, and he gets a non-paying strike against him