ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Joining a union........can you still......... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/882060-joining-a-union-can-you-still.html)

alcazar 30 March 2011 02:33 PM

Joining a union........can you still.........

...............state that you don't want to pay subs to ANY political party?

I know you COULD, but did Labour change it back again?

It's for my lad on the steelworks, he's been advised that joining a union is a good thing. Me, I'm ambivalent........

r32 30 March 2011 02:45 PM

You dont have to pay the political levy, but they dont make dropping out easy.

ALi-B 30 March 2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by r32 (Post 9962093)
You dont have to pay the political levy, but they dont make dropping out easy.

No surprises there then ;)

Leslie 31 March 2011 11:00 AM

I suppose the union can state their own requirements foir joining in order to be eligible for any benefits bestowed by the union.

I don't know the laws relating to that since I was never in a union which was not acceptable in my job.

I think it would be wrong to force a political levy to be paid to a party against your will.

Les

CrisPDuk 31 March 2011 12:56 PM

Were you not a member of the RAFs 'Handlebar Moustache Society' then Les, or does that not count :D

austinwrx 31 March 2011 01:09 PM

you can, because I'm in Unison and caused no end of upset by refusing to pay the subscription to the Labour party.

its hard getting the right forms and paperwork to do it.

you basically have to give it to a charity instead. suits me.

Chip 31 March 2011 01:44 PM

Ive been in a union for over 30 years and do not pay of the political levy.

Chip

SpecDscooby 31 March 2011 04:47 PM

I deal with the T&G, now known as "unite" a lot. People can drop out by simply cancelling their fee's.....

If i was on the floor in a company i think i would be paying the fee's. If for no other reason (if they are T&G) they will protect your interests. Pay negotiating etc, even if your hurt at work, or un fairly dissmissed the union will pay for the legal fe's to fight any unfair treatment, thats worth it IMHO. However if its not a large union dont bother. They have little to no power compared to 30yrs ago, but Unite or the like i would join. £2 a month to have a lawyer on tap...no brainer?

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9962076)
...............state that you don't want to pay subs to ANY political party?

I know you COULD, but did Labour change it back again?

It's for my lad on the steelworks, he's been advised that joining a union is a good thing. Me, I'm ambivalent........

Dunno the answer to the question but if he has been offered the opportunity for next to nothing on his wages Jeff, I would definitely take it up. I think Unite do make donations to Labour but I remember getting a slip of sorts where I could sign if I didn't want to support this or have my money go straight to donations (how this is worked I do not know). For the benefits of any issues or grievances at work it is worth it, trust me, I've been there - remember :thumb:

Also as SpecD said above, once joined you get free legal cover too for anything untowards whether personal injury or grievance related.

Unite is massive on the 'works, so it to me is a no brainer. I'm suprised you didn't ring to ask me Jeff :)

alcazar 31 March 2011 07:04 PM

Nah, mate.............you're management, we don't ask the likes of you!;)

He refuses to join UNITE, hates their leader, might joing GMB.

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2011 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9964450)
Nah, mate.............you're management, we don't ask the likes of you!;)

He refuses to join UNITE, hates their leader, might joing GMB.

Being in a union is better than not in my experiences, GMB were very poor for me and rolled over too much in favour of the employer. Unite are more militant and actually help you more with your rights as an employee.

I'll never meet the union leader(s) so don't let it bother me. The guys at Unite I need to worry about are the ones I work with. If I didn't join/buy anything for one person who I didn't like then I'd probably have an empty house and no job... That's my way of thinking. :D

richie001 31 March 2011 07:24 PM

It's worth joining.Unite were pretty good when I was going though my redundancy with Corus/Tata.Got me 50% on top of my redundancy money.

alcazar 31 March 2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9964473)
Being in a union is better than not in my experiences, GMB were very poor for me and rolled over too much in favour of the employer. Unite are more militant and actually help you more with your rights as an employee.

I'll never meet the union leader(s) so don't let it bother me. The guys at Unite I need to worry about are the ones I work with. If I didn't join/buy anything for one person who I didn't like then I'd probably have an empty house and no job... That's my way of thinking. :D

Yeah............but you're management:D

chocolate_o_brian 31 March 2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9964574)
Yeah............but you're management:D

I've missed the joke somewhere :lol1::lol1:

I'm a lowly apprentice for the next 18 months still :o

SpecDscooby 01 April 2011 05:03 PM

Not joining a large worthwhile union becuase you dont like their leader is like not eating Sirloin steak because you dont like the way it makes your sh1t look......WHO CARES!...your son WILL NEVER meet the leader, he will deal with his stewards, senior steward, the commitee for his branch and maybe the area rep if he gets into sh1t.....

alcazar 01 April 2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 9965842)
Not joining a large worthwhile union becuase you dont like their leader is like not eating Sirloin steak because you dont like the way it makes your sh1t look......WHO CARES!...your son WILL NEVER meet the leader, he will deal with his stewards, senior steward, the commitee for his branch and maybe the area rep if he gets into sh1t.....

It's not about meeting him, it's abouit his public face, and union fees funding his lifestyle and his pro Labour stance.

TBH, I wouldn't join them either!

chocolate_o_brian 01 April 2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9966251)
It's not about meeting him, it's abouit his public face, and union fees funding his lifestyle and his pro Labour stance.

TBH, I wouldn't join them either!

Looking at it, trade unions tend to be left wing and thus more inclined to support labour. I wish there was simply a union which was neither pro labour or any other party. It's the only thing about being in Unite I dislike :)

Leslie 02 April 2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 9963808)
Were you not a member of the RAFs 'Handlebar Moustache Society' then Les, or does that not count :D

They were a nuisance because they would get tangled up in your oxygen mask.

Another casualty of modern times!

Les ;)

^OPM^ 03 April 2011 09:59 AM

As a bit of a hijack on this thread-I'm in unite and you know through the union you get free legal cover , well if you have that is there any need to ever pay extra for the legal cover you get offered on you house and car insurance, that normally costs about £20 to £25 a year?

stanny_wrx 03 April 2011 10:32 AM

when i worked for mr kippling i was part of the union definatley worth it they took care of everything we had our own docter hr department were spot on and they delt with the top brass for you ie. pay increases they even managed to get them to back date was well good each year by the time they d negotiated it was x mas so we all got a nice little bit extra for crimbo :)