ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Android users- dont get your hopes up (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/882034-android-users-dont-get-your-hopes-up.html)

SwissTony 30 March 2011 11:28 AM

Android users- dont get your hopes up

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...324_269784.htm

Basically google is not allowing developers and manufacturers access to Honeycomb for the foreseeable future. Not a bad thing for mobile users but certainly is an issue for developers and small makers.

Scooby Soon! 30 March 2011 12:08 PM

HTC, Samsung Electronics, Motorola Mobility Holdings, and other big manufacturers already have access to Honeycomb.
Looks like good news to me, its just not giving access to the crappy little Chinese manufacturing compnaies that are based in the middle of a mud hut in a rice field.

Its a bit like saying android will only be available for phones made by HTC, Motorola and Samsung that would cover about 99% of the new phone market so can not see any problem with it.

SwissTony 30 March 2011 01:20 PM

Aside from the big manufacturers, it is the developers that will feel the pinch the most. Open source ? Yes as long as you dont mind the open source being...ahem closed or invite only :cuckoo:

MDS_WRX 30 March 2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9961945)
Aside from the big manufacturers, it is the developers that will feel the pinch the most.

Does that mean that for those systems that are closed source that they feel the pinch each time a new version of their OS is released?

SwissTony 30 March 2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX (Post 9962001)
Does that mean that for those systems that are closed source that they feel the pinch each time a new version of their OS is released?

That makes no sense ?

MDS_WRX 30 March 2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9962086)
That makes no sense ?

Well you said that developers will feel the pinch as they are making an open source system into a closed source one for x months. So, going by that logic, presumably those systems that are closed source make developers that develop applications for them "feel the pinch" all of the time?

StickyMicky 30 March 2011 05:13 PM

Dev Honeycomb rom on a T-Mobile G1 (ie a facking old phone)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=974087

I cant see the issue to be honest, the modding community pretty much does what they want anyway.

The big manufacturers usually do a much crappier job at releasing roms IMHO.

I have been running 2.3.3 on my old Hero now for AAAAAGESSSSSSSS, somebody will no dount release a honeycomb rom soon :lol1:

IWatkins 30 March 2011 05:58 PM

This is just going to stop Honeycomb making its way on to tablets and phones before Google are ready to support it. A good thing.

It won't stop developers writing applications to be hosted on Honeycomb, that is a different thing altogether.

JackClark 30 March 2011 08:57 PM

Good move Google, think how many android phones/tablets are in the bin because the owner was told Android was better than iOS.

GazTheHat 30 March 2011 09:01 PM

It's only closed for a while. Will make no difference.

Scooby Soon! 30 March 2011 10:05 PM

So we are all agreed then it can only be a good thing, well done Google :thumb:

:notworthy Andy Rubin :notworthy

boxst 31 March 2011 12:48 AM

Google have a problem with Android. It is great (regardless of what some detractors say) but will only continue to be so if it is great on all platforms.

The Chinese and other cheap tablets and phones that run Android do so incorrectly in that someone has hacked the source to get it to work rather than create abstract layer interfaces. It means you can't upgrade to a later versioon and you introduce bugs.

So Google need to protect their brand and making the OS free to developers but stricter licences to Companies is probably the way to go.

JackClark 31 March 2011 10:24 AM

They're adopting the Apple and Microsoft model. Data is expensive enough without having to pay for illicit use on cracked Android phones. Hurry up Nokia with your Windows phone, half the low grade Android users will flock back to trusty old Nokia.

SwissTony 31 March 2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9963077)

It is indeed a good thing as quality control makes for a better user experience be it in a mobile phone or tablet and thus in turn brings more competition and ultimately better devices for us the consumers. My point was that an open source project was not always what was deemed ' open source'

SwissTony 31 March 2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9963077)

I stand by my first comment though, the gloves are off and Goggle is playing hard ball

Playtime is over in Android Land. Over the last couple of months Google (GOOG) has reached out to the major carriers and device makers backing its mobile operating system with a message: There will be no more willy-nilly tweaks to the software. No more partnerships formed outside of Google's purview. From now on, companies hoping to receive early access to Google's most up-to-date software will need approval of their plans. And they will seek that approval from Andy Rubin, the head of Google's Android group.