ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   anyone been to egypt?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/881653-anyone-been-to-egypt.html)

leedscal 27 March 2011 08:43 PM

anyone been to egypt??

hi all

booking my jollies and im looking at egypt, found hotel and ready to book, just worried as it will be my first time there and dont want to be disappointed, thanks

cal

Ant 27 March 2011 08:47 PM

i would avoid that area completely going by it's current state

J4CKO 27 March 2011 08:52 PM

Suspect its actually fine but why bother, it is actually next door to Libya, how about Turkey ?

JonMc 27 March 2011 08:54 PM

I would avoid Cairo, Alexandria or Lexor, but if you fancy a beach holiday Sharm-el Sheik is actually pretty much unaffected by what's going on:thumb:

Caged "R" 27 March 2011 08:58 PM

Went to Sharm last year & wouldn't go again. I wouldn't listen to everyone saying "I wouldn't go again!"

Lots of Imodibum & aggressive shop keepers. Went out for an evening meal & every bloke telling me how beautiful the mrs is & one bloke even squaring up to me over it!
Blood was boiling..

Modifications 27 March 2011 09:07 PM

i went to Sharm last october ( holiday village with first choice ) and it was mint, weather was great too but i do agree with the aggressive shop keepers.

We went all inclusive so didnt really get out much but i did go for a walk outside of the complex a few times to the local shops and the shop keepers are a pain in the arse. They would not leave my 12 year old daughter alone ( not bothered about the misses lol which is a real shame)

but i would defo go again,

Modifications 27 March 2011 09:10 PM

if you do go make sure you buy your snorkeling kit here in the UK, i got a cheap one from decathlon and make sure you get some snorkeling shoes as the sea bed can be a little sharp.

thats if you want to go snorkeling ( i didnt at first but when in the sea it was really good buddy )

leedscal 27 March 2011 09:12 PM

Its sharm we on about about going to turkey was another choice but went last year and want a change and lanzarote was an option but use to live there so it may not seem like a holiday. All opinions will be taken on board though as I don't want to have a hol from hell

stevie turbo 27 March 2011 09:14 PM

ive never been but booked it to sharma shiek all inclusive going in june as john said ive been told its ok there just cairo no go at the moment fingers crossed.but i was a little worried i think it will be fine mate i think you have more chance of being eaten by a shark than being hit by a scud missile from libya lol

leedscal 27 March 2011 09:18 PM

Lol like it stevie lol

JonMc 27 March 2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by stevie turbo (Post 9957525)
ive never been but booked it to sharma shiek all inclusive going in june as john said ive been told its ok there just cairo no go at the moment fingers crossed.but i was a little worried i think it will be fine mate i think you have more chance of being eaten by a shark than being hit by a scud missile from libya lol

We had a team from the office in country during the troubles and they took a run out to Sharm, the people weren't interested in what was going on in the capital - Sinai is almost like a separate country:thumb:

The Dogs B******s 27 March 2011 09:31 PM

I was supposed to go in July,but Jet2 have cancelled all there flights. :(

stevie turbo 27 March 2011 09:32 PM

there we go mate as john says go on book it first time for everything i got three kids going with us 4,10,14,

Modifications 27 March 2011 09:38 PM

lanzarote ( with first choice ) was perfect in every way.

would defo go back infact that would be my preferred holiday :thumb:

bigtel 27 March 2011 09:39 PM

I went 18 months ago and going back again in June, Just don't touch the salads!!!

stevie turbo 27 March 2011 09:44 PM

was that the salads in lanz or sharm is it cause there washed in the local water steve

bigtel 27 March 2011 09:50 PM

Sharm Salads, They just get covered in flies as soon as they uncover them!

vallumlj 27 March 2011 10:00 PM

I have been twice and if you get a nice hotel you will have a good time get a bad one and your holiday will be really bad. Read up on tripadvisor

If you are going to sharm try and stay round Soho square or up by the holiday village as there are some nice shops and bars around them places this will save you going into sharm and get hassle.

Go on the quad biking trip really good fun and go on a boat trip.

For the money and weather i don't think you can really beat it.

We paid £400 for a week all inclusive.

What hotel you looking at?

leedscal 27 March 2011 10:07 PM

We gave been looking at a few, rehana resort is looking like the one 2 week all inc just short of 2000 that's with me r lass n 2 kids

alloy 28 March 2011 08:23 AM

Went to Sharm in January, stayed in the Hyatt had a brilliant time, nice weather, staff v friendly, just avoid the shop keepers as they love a hard sell and negotiate with any taxi driver you may use. Remember in these countries what we perceive as being rude is the normal over there, when you say no thanks dont smile like you would in England, otherwise they just wont get the message.

scottydwrx 28 March 2011 08:06 PM

Egypt is one of those place you either love or hate - similar to Tunisia.

Went out this year to Sharm in mid Feb when it was all kicking off but had no problems whatsoever. Sharm is so remote from everywhere else in Egypt it is pretty much unaffected. The snorkelling is absolutely fantastic amongst all the fish and coral - as my 7 year old said, its like an underwater paradise

The key to it is to choose a good hotel - look at the reviews on Trip advisor. I can recommend the Baron Palms Resort at Ras Nasrani Bay

mamoon2 28 March 2011 08:13 PM

You couldn't pay me to holiday in an African country (Safari or South Africa excluded)

leedscal 28 March 2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 9959019)
You couldn't pay me to holiday in an African country (Safari or South Africa excluded)

whys that?

mamoon2 28 March 2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by leedscal (Post 9959115)
whys that?

The likes of Tunisia and Egypt however you dress it up are sh1tholes

leedscal 28 March 2011 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 9959377)
The likes of Tunisia and Egypt however you dress it up are sh1tholes

lol we live in england

stormyuklondon1 30 March 2011 11:25 AM

The Mrs and I got back from Luxor last week and we thoroughly enjoyed it. yea, its not clean and Cairo is a toilet, but its history is fantastic (if you like that sort of thing).
at the moment, due to the recent upheavals, according to a tour guide we had at the valley of the kings, tourism is down about 90%. these were a couple of pics I took at the Karnak Temple and avenue of the sphinx and they should be heaving with people..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSC_0088.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...1/DSC_0128.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...DSC_0101-1.jpg
and that was about as busy as it got all the time we were there!
would we go back? yea, I'd love to spend a whole day at the museum in Cairo, again we were very lucky and were pretty much the only people in the Tutankhamun exhibition and the Royal mummy room but I imagine if we returned It wouldnt be as pleasantly free of British tourists as it was :D

GC8WRX 30 March 2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Caged "R" (Post 9957449)
Went to Sharm last year & wouldn't go again. I wouldn't listen to everyone saying "I wouldn't go again!"

Lots of Imodibum & aggressive shop keepers. Went out for an evening meal & every bloke telling me how beautiful the mrs is & one bloke even squaring up to me over it!
Blood was boiling..

what do you expect from an islamic country that covers its women up, you get lots of bored, horny religious nuts with scantily clad good looking western women showing them what they are missing, thus the hormones flow and the red mist appears.

Same on the shop keeper front, they hate the fact you are western and have perceived wealth while they have to sell little trinkets for pennies to afford a cave to live in,

Never holiday that far east, its asking for trouble.