ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine Warm Up (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/881602-engine-warm-up.html)

RDH 27 March 2011 04:58 PM

Engine Warm Up

Hi im new here but hope someone may be able to help/advise me, here goes.
Ive just rebuilt and refitted my RA rally car engine, spec is as follows:
Closed deck block 92.5mm
CP forged pistons
Cosworth steel rods
ACL race mains and big ends
1.6mm cosworth steel head gaskets
sti heads
new water pump
new 12mm oil pump
All new seals and gaskets
Gems management

The car was a non runner when i got it so ive not seen it running before today. Now its started up fine and running very well, only run for about 2 hours since first putting it in.
Oil pressure at 50 psi at tickover when warm.
My question is how long does it take from cold for a subaru engine to get to normal running temp?
Mine warms up very quickly, ie 5 minutes or so. Coolant level fine and no air locks.
Fan comes on as normal when it gets hotter, gauge sits at mid point and it doesnt get any hotter, just seems to warm up very quickly?
Its my first impreza so im not sure if this is normal or not. Maybe im just worrying over nothing.
Any one think anythings wrong or is it normal for an impreza

Thanks
Richard

carl heath 27 March 2011 05:04 PM

My 02 sti warms up about 5 mins too unless the temp is really cold outside so think thats normal mate.

MOTORS S GT 27 March 2011 05:07 PM

For a newly built first start up, its nothing to cause concern, don't forget all the components are bedding in, extra friction produces heat, if its holding temp ok once the stats open its ok.

dbay 27 March 2011 05:10 PM

the water will warm up very quickly which is where most engines fail, people see the gauge on the dash says its warm then they boot it :eek: the oil at this point is only at 40c there abouts, so it does pay to have the oil pressure and temp gauges fitted so you know for sure when its good and ready. it also depends on what grade oil you using (thick or thin), a 15/50 will take longer to warm up than a 10/40 grade oil.

bgood 27 March 2011 05:10 PM

Yeah the water usually warms up pretty quick, obviously depends on the outside temp though but just because the water is nice and warm doesn't mean the engine is.

alcazar 27 March 2011 06:15 PM

As above.

On mine, I see movement on the Defi water gauge after only half a mile or so, the stock water gauge stays doing nowt.

Aftere maybe three or four miles, the stock gauge is moving and the Defi says around 70 degrees.
A further mile or so sees the Defi water temp.on 84 degrees and the stock gauge on "warm"............but at this point, the Defi OIL temperature gauge is barely registering and certainly NOT ready for any boost. THAT can take quite a bit longer;)

RDH 27 March 2011 06:49 PM

Brilliant, thanks for your answers, thats put my mind at rest. Oil temp gauge is fitted but not wired up yet, another on the list of jobs to do(quickly).Oil is currently 10w40 fully synthetic. Was gonna change it after 100 miles or so running in.
Going for a mild map on thursday as i dont know how or who mapped the gems last time.
Then a good few hundred miles running in and asuming all is well after that i will take it for mapping properly and antilag etc mapping.
Thanks
Richard

shepster 27 March 2011 07:27 PM

Hi Richard, it might be worth swapping to a mineral oil for the running period, full syn oil if far to slippery to bed an engine in properly and best avoided until about 2000 miles.

RDH 27 March 2011 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies.:thumb: