ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Australia F1 2011 (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/881546-australia-f1-2011-a.html)

SRSport 27 March 2011 07:13 AM

Australia F1 2011

Here we go for 2011. Anyone up early enough to watch it?
Come on Hamilton and Button.

steve nic 27 March 2011 07:18 AM

o yes!

Will 27 March 2011 07:25 AM

Yep :)

BOB.T 27 March 2011 08:39 AM

I was up for most of it! :D

Not massively impressed :(

SRSport 27 March 2011 08:43 AM

Slightly concerning with Hamiltons plate. Button must be really frustrated but at least it shows that McLaren are competitive though which is a major relief.

RA Dunk 27 March 2011 09:15 AM

I was up for it, an hour early (bloody clocks!) not as much overtaking as I had hoped to see with the new wing and Kers though but still a worthwhile watch :)

f1_fan 27 March 2011 09:22 AM

Average race - the DRS seemed to only work for Jenson.

PS Should this not be in Sport :D :D I don't actually care btw, but as I like to see all Apple trheads moved to Computer Related and given my username I thought I had better play fair :D

hutton_d 27 March 2011 10:05 AM

Sky+ is a wonderful thing for these early races. Come down and skip the build-up, watch the first lap or two to get the running order then fast forward to bits of "interest" and watch the end in real time....:thumb: I think we have our early season contenders anyway.

Good drive by that Mex. in 7th!

Dave

ScoobyWon't 27 March 2011 10:23 AM

Petrov must have given Heidfeld something to think about. :D

Ant 27 March 2011 12:32 PM

What a kick in the teeth to Hamilton , red bull didn't run kers :lol1:

ScoobyWon't 27 March 2011 01:48 PM

Did anyone else notice that it only took DC 19 laps to show his Red Bull bias? Brundle suggested that Buemi should be penalised for leaving the track to over take Sutil, as Button was for leaving the track to pass Massa.

As soon as Brundle suggested that Vettel should be looked at for passing Button at the same corner, DC was straight to his defence, saying it was completely different.

RA Dunk 27 March 2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9956318)

Good drive by that Mex. in 7th!

Dave

Now disqualified.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...1/3/11874.html

Leslie 27 March 2011 04:22 PM

Glad I was not relying on watching it this afternoon.

Les

SRSport 27 March 2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9956632)

So can we assume that Hamilton is safe then?

Trout 27 March 2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by F1 Stewards
Following post-race checks, the Melbourne stewards decided that both Sauber C30s were in breach of technical rules 3.10.1* and 3.10.2**, in relation to their rear wings. The team plan to appeal the decision.

"This is not a very surprising and disappointing result," commented James Key, Saubers technical director. "It appears that there is a question over the top surface of the uppermost rear wing element, this area is not the working surface of the component and therefore relatively unimportant to its function.

The ruling means Ferraris Felipe Massa moves up to seventh.

* Not having your rear wing design provided to Ferrari first if it has any possible or potential performance advantage.

** Having any component on your car that provides a performance benefit over a Ferrari or one of their drivers.

EddScott 27 March 2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9957153)
* Not having your rear wing design provided to Ferrari first if it has any possible or potential performance advantage.

** Having any component on your car that provides a performance benefit over a Ferrari or one of their drivers.

:D

Takes a shine off the lad only doing 1 stop. Although I doubt this issue had anything to do with it.

Leslie 28 March 2011 09:30 AM

What a shame.

Les

NAF 28 March 2011 12:52 PM

Pity

Would have been a great result for him

scooby L 28 March 2011 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 9956904)
So can we assume that Hamilton is safe then?

It's been a while now so he must be clear of the dreaded FIA rule interpretations :D

Gutted for Sauber :Whatever_..but you gotta get your car legal before racing it.

McLaren must be laughing in their boots after that performance... Even with Red Bull not having KERS... with both Lewis and Button's constant race pace looking mighty impressive... yes Vettel went off like a stabbed rat...but his tyres were history way before Hamilton's...and I'm sure McLaren could have kept Lewis out longer on his 1st stint, but elected to play safe and bag 2nd with a mind to pressurise the German in the latter stages... pity the undertray board broke...

Red Bull's greatest plus last year was their ability to make the tyres perform longer... it seams that advantage has now been lost..

here's to an entertaining 2011

Brun 28 March 2011 08:23 PM

Thank God it's back.
Not an Epic first race but it's food for thought.
The tyres look promising. The rear wing seems to do little to aid overtaking. Why not just reduce the aero on the cars by 50% so the cars behind can travel closer.
There is still way too much tech in the cars. Yes, it's the pinical (sp?) of motorsport but did i hear correctly that the Ferrari (i think it was) has 7 paddles behind the steering wheel not to mention the wacky amount of settings available on the front of the steering wheel. Gear change, radio and a drink should be all they require.
Malaysia next - not one of my faves but at least it's not Bahrain :D