ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Toys for Kids (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/880388-toys-for-kids.html)

bluenosewrx 18 March 2011 11:37 PM

Toys for Kids

Guys.

just watching red nose day has made me really value our children's upbringing and i have just thought of a wee way in which i/you can help.

I am off to Kenya on the 31st March for 6 weeks exercise with the Army and as i was there last year i come into contact with a lot of locals and have the power to give a little happiness to the youngsters with a little toy etc.

When i was there last year i saw young kids playing with little bits of wood and getting enjoyment from it, imagine what a real toy would do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

All i ask is that if you have any spare kids toys to send them to me before i go and i will take them with me in a rucksack, so can you make them SMALL items only to send please.

The address is:

25011286 Sgt Mac Donald
38 Bty, 40 Regt RA
Theipval Barracks
BFPO 801.

I realise that its a big ask but anything is welcome toy wise, Thank you in advance and i will put up photos and maybe a video on my return.

Mac

The Dogs B******s 18 March 2011 11:39 PM

I'm sure i can sort you some out:thumb:

bluenosewrx 18 March 2011 11:41 PM

Superb mate, thank you

Mac

Steve vRS 19 March 2011 12:06 AM

Should be able to help.

I assume non battery powered, small things?

When I worked in Africa, the kids loved being given felt tip pens and tennis balls.

Steve

bluenosewrx 19 March 2011 12:13 AM

Steve,

Anything mate, battery powered is ok, i can get loads of bty's but dont tell anyone, cut backs and all that.lol

Mac

Lee247 19 March 2011 12:17 AM

As it happens, my two are sorting their rooms and stuff out this weekend. Will get them to sort out some things they no longer use. As they are now 17 and 20 and still have loads of stuff from when they were small, I will get on it .
What a fantastic thing to do, well done you :) :)

Clarebabes 19 March 2011 12:19 AM

Fab idea :thumb: I will try and sort something out for the kids. Got loads of small soft toys, will they do?

bluenosewrx 19 March 2011 12:39 AM

Anything does, i nearly wept seeing kids dragging bits of wood on string pretending it was this or that.

thing is you cannot help them all and it totally killed me having a young son, watching Comic relief tonight brought it all back.

Mac

lozgti1 19 March 2011 10:56 AM

Excellent thought and yes it was very sad

Stupid thing is,for all the things our children have they seem to get more enjoyment out of sticks string and boxes!

Hysteria1983 19 March 2011 02:12 PM

Small cuddly toys?

Hysteria1983 19 March 2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 9943149)
Excellent thought and yes it was very sad

Stupid thing is,for all the things our children have they seem to get more enjoyment out of sticks string and boxes!

My son loves nothing more than a cardboard box, his staitionary box and a roll of tape :)

bluenosewrx 19 March 2011 08:22 PM

Thanks guys/Girls

Anything as long as its small. will get it all in a spare rucksack, no charge for excess weight on our flights lol

Mac

Camoscooby 19 March 2011 09:53 PM

I too have spent time in Africa and feel what you're doing is very noble and best wishes :thumb:

Regrettably I have no children myself but can ask my sister if my nephew has any he doesn't want/need :)

Lydia72 19 March 2011 10:00 PM

I don't have small kids so no toys here but have you thought of contacting McDonalds and asking if they could donate some Happy Meal toys.

Bravo2zero_sps 19 March 2011 11:52 PM

I'll see what I can take off mine, they have more than what they know what to do with so they wont miss a couple of bits. And the comic relief films really hit me too, no kid deserves to be brought into the World and suffer like that. In fact I think sitting down with mine and explaining what i'm asking them to do will be much better than me just taking stuff, they can choose.

Jamo 19 March 2011 11:58 PM

we will have a look for you tomorrow :thumb:

when you're old do you plan on getting a farm? ;)

bluenosewrx 20 March 2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jamo (Post 9944214)
we will have a look for you tomorrow :thumb:

when you're old do you plan on getting a farm? ;)

Thanks, not heard that one before,lol

even my 2 year old sings it now, even though his name is Mac Donald as well.

Mac

Jamo 20 March 2011 11:56 PM

heh come on, its new to me :D

bttt :)

Steve vRS 20 May 2011 04:14 PM

Anyone heard from Bluenosewrx?

I sent an A4 photocopier paper box stuffed with toys to him to the address above. Admittedly it was touch and go whether he would get them in time (the Post Office assumed me they would) but I've not had any contact back from him.

Did anyone else send anything?

Steve

Steve vRS 20 May 2011 04:26 PM

Well I've just called the Royal Mail 'Track and Trace" and my package is confirmed as missing! Good job I kept the proof of postage. I have to fill in a claim form for them to investigate further :(

What do I say for value for a box full of donated second hand toys!

My little boy will be disappointed as he chose which toys to send the Kenyan children.

Steve

Steve vRS 21 May 2011 07:08 PM

Well shows how much the Royal Mail now. Blenosewrx has been on touch. He got the parcel and gave out the toys.

My little lad is chuffed :D

Steve