ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Talk about over reacting! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/880036-talk-about-over-reacting.html)

Geezer 16 March 2011 12:19 PM

Talk about over reacting!

Germany has shut down 7 of its nuclear reactors in the wake of the Japanese disaster amid concerns. What exactly are the concerns? Central and Northern Europe are effectively inactive seismically, so if they have run for all these years without issue, what's the problem?

Am I missing something?

Geezer

dpb 16 March 2011 12:22 PM

green party ?

kingofturds 16 March 2011 12:24 PM

In case of

http://www.godzillatemple.com/photos/godzilla78.jpg

The Zohan 16 March 2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 9938007)

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/y...a-facepalm.jpg
He's not real you know

SiPie 16 March 2011 12:42 PM

Germany has been expecting a terrorist attack for a while now, presume they have reviewed their security in light of japan and decided that their reactors probably wouldn't survive a 747 being flown into them after all

stef_2010 16 March 2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 9938020)
He's not real you know

http://blog.pharmalive.com/wp-conten...8/06/o_rly.jpg

ChefDude 16 March 2011 12:47 PM

bit too much time spent on 4chan methinks lol

Steve vRS 16 March 2011 12:49 PM

Oil getting too expensive - CHECK
Coal too 'dirty' - CHECK
North sea gas running out - CHECK
Nuclear panic - CHECK

Luckily we have all the windmills and as I look out of my office window, it's a lovely breezy day. Oh, hang on...

Steve

speedking 16 March 2011 02:17 PM

I imagine re-assessment of the backup cooling water power supplies for example. Independent of the method by which they might be disabled.

UK new build might be subject to further safety assessment which is disappointing.

Steve vRS 16 March 2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 9938168)
UK new build might be subject to further safety assessment which is disappointing.

I doubt that further safety assessment will be needed but may be carried out for political reasons. There are already very detailed studies to recognised standards (IEC 61508) carried out. More public relations definitely as peoples understanding of risk is inherently flawed.

Maybe as many as 50 000 have just died as a result of a natural disaster that is nigh on impossible to predict or mitigate against. As far as I know, no one has yet died in the ongoing nuclear accidents however look at where all the headlines are at the moment.

Steve

speedking 16 March 2011 02:39 PM

Agree and hope you're correct. Just repeating a story from the front page of The Times.

Public Relations may = being seen to do something, even though the end result has no real value, e.g. "we carried out further rigorous assessment of the possible effects of a Tsunami on UK Nuclear Power Station sites".

Clarebabes 16 March 2011 02:41 PM

I think this is a shame for everyone. Obviously Japan have a very serious situation, but we are all going to be affected by this as nuclear will be seen as a scary way of producing electricity now, so won't get investment.

Wurzel 16 March 2011 02:42 PM

Germany was actually planning to decomission all its nuclear power stations in 2011 anyway. there was a vote on it a few years ago. No idea what if anything has changed, I thought they had revised the decision but obviously not.

How are they going to test them anyway? Blow em up and see if they leak :D

jef 16 March 2011 03:29 PM

usual bull**** sensationalising from media

fabricate massive risks and lies= sells more papers.

and thats how the people of this country get educated, and the media run the country

corrupt as fck!

Leslie 16 March 2011 04:17 PM

If they shut them down they must surely be underreacting!

Les

Kieran_Burns 16 March 2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9938368)
If they shut them down they must surely be underreacting!

Les

People have been infracted for less than that. :nono:

:lol1:

J4CKO 16 March 2011 04:28 PM

Ok, lets see, lets shut down all our Nuclear Powerplants down in the UK because some people get a bit edgy about it, what would happen, well I predict that they would be turned back on again inside a week, why,

Because those who dont like it would realise that their tellies go off, their computers dont work and the hob wont either, imagine it "I love my eco credentials, but I love Harry Hills's TV Burp, but which is better, theres only one way to find out"....

I work in the Nuclear industry, indirectly and it pains me when people just see Nuclear as bad or dangerous, I myself started a thread about the reactors in Japan as to be honest, at the time, it looked like another Chernobyl but its a long way from a Chernobyl for various reasons so am making a point of explaining it to people.

We need Nuclear power, some gimp was on the Radio saying we could do it all with turbines, er no, people tend to object to those so unless you want to have thousands of those everywhere shut up.

If you want power at the socket you have to accept some kind of blot on the landscape, some risk from Pollution or a tiny risk of an otherwise very clean nuclear plant leaking a small amount of radiation, it was after a huge earthquake, I think they did pretty well considering the unprecedented scenario.

We can either have the power and quality of life it brings or go back to the dark ages, and we still get the natrual disasters anyway.

I just hope this doesnt put the British public off the eight new reactors proposed to be built.

Leslie 16 March 2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 9938378)
People have been infracted for less than that. :nono:

:lol1:

Tell me about it!

Les :D