ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Oil in tmic (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/879980-oil-in-tmic.html)

andy00v7 15 March 2011 11:23 PM

Oil in tmic

What is the best way to remove oil / clean out a top mount intercooler ?

Thanks Andy

maydew 15 March 2011 11:26 PM

remove it and fill with petrol

TIZERBOY 15 March 2011 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 9937463)
remove it and fill with petrol

What at todays petrol price's:lol1:

maydew 15 March 2011 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by TIZERBOY (Post 9937473)
What at todays petrol price's:lol1:

very true, recycle it,once finished drop it back into the tank:idea: and then watch it smoke like an old bus lol

midnight 15 March 2011 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 9937509)
very true, recycle it,once finished drop it back into the tank:idea: and then watch it smoke like an old bus lol

:lol: lol ,Probably better off boiling the kettle and using washing up liquid flushing ,no chance of it catching alight and its cheaper.
Have you got a lot of oil in there or just a little bit ?

dazdavies 15 March 2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by midnight (Post 9937521)
:lol: lol ,Probably better off boiling the kettle and using washing up liquid flushing ,no chance of it catching alight and its cheaper.
Have you got a lot of oil in there or just a little bit ?

DONT DO THAT FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!

You'll have a enough water trapped in there to hydrolock your engine.

Petrol or brake cleaner and leave it to dry/evaporate.

maydew 15 March 2011 11:56 PM

no issue in petrol ,
block end up
drop a litre in
shake about
empty
leave outside for 30 mins to hour job done,

worse gonna happen suck some petrol into the engine as last time i checked my car ran on the stuff anyway lol lol

gotta be better than sucking in washing up liquid lol street cred might drop a little if seen in a scooby blowing bubbles out the exhaust lol lol

midnight 16 March 2011 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 9937539)
no issue in petrol ,
block end up
drop a litre in
shake about
empty
leave outside for 30 mins to hour job done,

worse gonna happen suck some petrol into the engine as last time i checked my car ran on the stuff anyway lol lol

gotta be better than sucking in washing up liquid lol street cred might drop a little if seen in a scooby blowing bubbles out the exhaust lol lol

:lol: lol,sorry but thats what i did on my 99 car and after leaving it out in the sun all morning never gave me no grief whatsoever:Suspiciou. I poured it through the top and the oily residue came out the bottom,then left to dry.

legb4rsk 16 March 2011 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by midnight (Post 9937567)
:lol: lol,sorry but thats what i did on my 99 car and after leaving it out in the sun all morning never gave me no grief whatsoever:Suspiciou. I poured it through the top and the oily residue came out the bottom,then left to dry.

Apart from all the bubbles coming out of the exhaust.:)

Billet 16 March 2011 02:00 AM

would you put the petrol in from either the y-pipe/throttle body holes or drop it in from above, through the fins.

Maz 16 March 2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tazz (Post 9937653)
would you put the petrol in from either the y-pipe/throttle body holes or drop it in from above, through the fins.

:eek:

Dropping from above would have no effect as the intercooler fins should be airtight.

maydew 16 March 2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tazz (Post 9937653)

just fill it from either,fill with 1 litre and tip it side to side with the y-pipe on top then empty,few mins job done