ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine Smells very hot. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/879859-engine-smells-very-hot.html)

Wag1 15 March 2011 01:11 PM

Engine Smells very hot.

Hello guys, New to the subaru scene,

I have a 1996 2.0 n/a subaru impreza estate. After i use it and she warms up I get this really funny burning water hot smell every time i use it, It doesnt overheat the fan comes in and out at the right time etc the temparature gauge always sits correctly its just annoying you can smell it really badly ias it comes in the car when ya sat in traffic with the window open, All ican describe it as ts like a burning water/metalish type smell hard to describe, I dont know whats causing it or how to get rid?

I have no leaks, The heater in the car works correctly its just this really disgusting smell!!

Cheers guys :)

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 15 March 2011 01:24 PM

It could be a number of things, but I'd probably put my money on the smell being the start of the end of your big end bearings. That is not a definate at all, but you usually get a nasty smell when you start eating a bearing or two, sometimes many weeks before it even starts knocking.

However it may not even be that at all! Don't go stripping your engine until you get a first hand opinion.

Graham

Wag1 15 March 2011 02:31 PM

big end, Is this a hard job to do?! I can honestly say i have hardly touched an engine in my life i only done simple things. Shall i take it to a garage and get it looked at?
I haven't heard a knocking / loud noise yet! So fingers crossed its nothing major, Im going to get her serviced as i dont know when it was last done!

Thanks for the reply :)

tjmatt 15 March 2011 03:05 PM

Are you sure its not the normal offside rocker cover gasket leak with the oil dripping and burning off the exhaust? Unless its really bad you won't notice oil loss but you'll smell hot burning at the traffic lights.

EDIT: Just noticed its NA. Not sure if the same problem exists, but worth checking.

Wag1 15 March 2011 03:17 PM

I know your saying it for a turbo engine but thank you for the reply,

The way you described about when the smell comes is how it does for me, If i come to a stop you can smell it or im stopped an the fan kicks in or if i park up and walk around the side / front of the car.

Very strange! I would hate to see it go as i have not long bought the car and its in really good nick bodywork wise etc!

joz8968 15 March 2011 03:31 PM

I'd go for cam cover gasket too (BEST possible scenario really ;)). Common on EJ motor...

Wag1 15 March 2011 04:02 PM

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but where is the cam cover gasket?! (Is this the same as rocker cover)

musso2010 15 March 2011 04:02 PM

Or possibly power steering leaking and dripping onto the headers. I have a similer smell.

joz8968 15 March 2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Wag1 (Post 9936444)
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but where is the cam cover gasket?! (Is this the same as rocker cover)

Yes. It's the gasket that's sandwiched between the, er, cam (or rocker :rolleyes:) cover and the head/s

joz8968 15 March 2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by musso2010 (Post 9936445)
Or possibly power steering leaking and dripping onto the headers. I have a similer smell.

Or could be this ^^^

Jamz_ 15 March 2011 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wag1 (Post 9936116)
I have no leaks

That would put the rocker cover and PAS pump out of the equation though, as mine has the rocker cover/PAS pump and has a little patch under the car after its been stood still a little while...

Best thing would be to leave the car over night, in the morning (or what ever - leave it longer as this will have more chance to happen) jack the drivers side front up and check the exhaust headers to see if any oil has dripped from the back side of the engine into the header.... if so, it's either going to be the rocker or the pump....

If there is a build up of oil on the top of the engine it'll be your pump, if its quite clean on the top it'll be the cover

Originally Posted by Wag1 (Post 9936304)
big end, Is this a hard job to do?! I can honestly say i have hardly touched an engine in my life i only done simple things. Shall i take it to a garage and get it looked at?
I haven't heard a knocking / loud noise yet! So fingers crossed its nothing major, Im going to get her serviced as i dont know when it was last done!

Thanks for the reply

Big end bearings are the biggest job ever on the scooby's... and a very expensive one (not too sure on price for NA, but turbo engine rebuilds are £1k+)

joz8968 15 March 2011 04:30 PM

Yeah, but how comprehensive has the OP checked for leaks?

As said, it can be hard to suss oil burning off hot exhaust parts. The source of the leak might also be hard suss too, as it might take a fast running engine to create any meaningful flow anyway.

Do the "paper left overnight" test - left under the whole of the footprint of the engine...

Wag1 16 March 2011 09:40 AM

Thanks for the Reply!! When i got home last night i got the bonnet up and had a scout around the engine and it all looks fine nothing dripping out of anywhere etc, So what i done was i parked up the car and i left it there from the time i got home and its still there now so hopefully if it doesnt rain ill be able to check it later if not tomorrow give it time to settle and drip if there is anything there to leak.

Would be a shame if it needed the engine rebuild as i dont want to get rid of her!

joz8968 16 March 2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wag1 (Post 9937760)
...Would be a shame if it needed the engine rebuild as i dont want to get rid of her!

Yes you do... Then you can get a WRX or STi! ;)

bigfarlz 16 March 2011 06:18 PM

Without trying to alarm you, I noticed my00 Uk turbo smelt odd from the engine bay the moment i got it home just over six months ago, as time went on it developed knock and the bearings were making a right racket! It's currently having a rebuild!! If it is, you'd find it cheaper (and more exciting) to drop a turbo lump in it although I appreciate there may be reasons for u not wanting a turbo engine!

bigfarlz 16 March 2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wag1 (Post 9937760)
Thanks for the Reply!! When i got home last night i got the bonnet up and had a scout around the engine and it all looks fine nothing dripping out of anywhere etc, So what i done was i parked up the car and i left it there from the time i got home and its still there now so hopefully if it doesnt rain ill be able to check it later if not tomorrow give it time to settle and drip if there is anything there to leak.

Would be a shame if it needed the engine rebuild as i dont want to get rid of her!

Lift your bonnet and give it a little rev with the throttle cable, listen out for a rattling sound, that's how I knew mine was fooked!