ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Warning Of 'Food Price Riots In The UK (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/879006-warning-of-food-price-riots-in-the-uk.html)

Chip 09 March 2011 08:51 PM

Warning Of 'Food Price Riots In The UK

A senior economist at the worldwide bank HSBC has warned of civil unrest in Britain if food prices continue to soar.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, senior global economist Karen Ward cautioned that the UK could experience the kind of food riots seen in other countries.

"Even in the developed world I think we have very, very low wage growth, so people aren't getting more in their pay packet to compensate them for food and energy, and I think we could see social unrest certainly in parts of the developed world and the UK as well."

She went on to highlight the link between high food prices and the escalating cost of crude oil.

"More and more we are seeing that some of these foodstuffs are actually substitutes for energy itself, particularly biofuels. So I think the energy markets are a significant contributor to these food price gains."

The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further.

Food costs have gone up for eight months in a row, with the National Farmers Union forecasting the trend will continue for the rest of 2011.

The cost of basic foodstuffs has been caused by increasing demand and extreme weather destroying crops and has been partly to blame for the unrest sweeping the arabic world.

Rising prices contributed to riots across North Africa and the Middle East in the past several months that have toppled leaders in Egypt and Tunisia.

Wheat has nearly doubled in price over the past six months and rising demand has caused the cost of sugar to rise by 14% over the past 12 months.

Chip

alcazar 09 March 2011 09:03 PM

But that can't be right. A link between food prices and fuel prices? Surely not?

If that WERE true, why would successive governments hammer fuel prices AND raise the level of VAT?

Oh...........wait..............

RobsyUK 09 March 2011 09:08 PM

better sharpen my cow bone...

FlightMan 09 March 2011 09:37 PM

Best stock up on corned beef and beans now.

Dougmy06wrx 09 March 2011 09:40 PM

Spam sandwiches for me then!!

dpb 09 March 2011 09:41 PM

The peasants would have to push their bloated rumps all the way round their expenses paid plasmas to protest , cant see it myself

hodgy0_2 09 March 2011 09:41 PM

i suppose the only winners will be gypsies and people with access to cheap firearms

Jamie 09 March 2011 09:44 PM

18th this month we are all doomed via the moon :)

Chip 09 March 2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9925699)
18th this month we are all doomed via the moon :)

Nah thats Dec 21st 2012.

Chip

lozgti1 09 March 2011 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dougmy06wrx (Post 9925683)
Spam sandwiches for me then!!

Oh God,yeeeeeees! Grilled spam of course

Once more.Oh God,yeeeeeesssssss!

We have had to sell one child due to food prices

Dingdongler 09 March 2011 10:04 PM

Chip, food riots have already started. There are punch ups outside most kebab shops on a Friday night

pslewis 09 March 2011 10:09 PM

Take a visit to any Tesco or Sainsburys at 5pm and stand by the REDUCED shelf to get a feel for Food Riots!!

The older they are, the harder they fight you for a half-priced muffin!!

Chip 09 March 2011 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9925767)
Chip, food riots have already started. There are punch ups outside most kebab shops on a Friday night

I wouldn't know as I have never been in a kebab shop in my life.

Chip

Dingdongler 09 March 2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 9925803)
I wouldn't know as I have never been in a kebab shop in my life.

Chip

You don't need to have been in one to watch them fighting OUTSIDE all those kebab shops in Cardiff:)

Funkii Munkii 09 March 2011 10:31 PM

Riots in the Summer then, it's been a few years since we had one, it's due ....

hutton_d 09 March 2011 10:41 PM

I know. The price of nosh is terrible. Even had to surf the "affordable food" websites, such as ... http://www.affordablecaviar.com/ ... times is hard .... :(

Dave

f1_fan 09 March 2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 9925843)
Riots in the Summer then, it's been a few years since we had one, it's due ....

And the right party is in governement.

When wil they wake up and realise this country is heading back into recession courtesy of their over cutting and the rising fuel prices. The VAT alone on petrol is giving them an extra 7p a lite over 6 months ago so they have soeme room for manouvre.

bugeyejohn 09 March 2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9925785)
Take a visit to any Tesco or Sainsburys at 5pm and stand by the REDUCED shelf to get a feel for Food Riots!!

The older they are, the harder they fight you for a half-priced muffin!!

Spot on there, only the other day i was attacked by a 85 year old gran,as i went to pick up a 2 for 1 bargain,if i hadnt kicked her sticks out i wouldnt have stood a chance. :norty:

Jamie 09 March 2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 9925735)
Nah thats Dec 21st 2012.

Chip

The moon will pass just 221,567 miles away on March 19 - its closest for 18 years.

THE world could be in for a bumpy ride next week with an "extreme supermoon" predicted to cause weather chaos.

:lol:

Funkii Munkii 09 March 2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9925884)
And the right party is in governement.

When wil they wake up and realise this country is heading back into recession courtesy of their over cutting and the rising fuel prices. The VAT alone on petrol is giving them an extra 7p a lite over 6 months ago so they have soeme room for manouvre.

Déjà vu, the Tories had just come in after years of Labour waste and mismanagement of the country, and we had Brixton Toxteth Bristol etc, 30 years later we come full cycle.

BOB.T 09 March 2011 11:07 PM

Cool, my birthday on the 19th and I love Spam and Corned Beef :)

f1_fan 09 March 2011 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 9925928)
Déjà vu, the Tories had just come in after years of Labour waste and mismanagement of the country, and we had Brixton Toxteth Bristol etc, 30 years later we come full cycle.

Yep and they made things even worse back then too, the evil cow was only saved by causing a war in the Falkalnds and now we have Libya... as you say we have come full cycle :thumb:

Funkii Munkii 09 March 2011 11:37 PM

That's a weak response even for you :thumb:

f1_fan 10 March 2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 9925972)

Not weak, just not what you want to hear. It's the truth anyways :thumb:

ScoobySteve69 10 March 2011 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 9925748)
Oh God,yeeeeeees! Grilled spam of course

If you want it grilled get bacon grill. Spam HAS to be fried :D

Dingdongler 10 March 2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 9925972)

+1

hodgy0_2 10 March 2011 07:38 AM

we only have riots (like Toxteth, Bristol) when we have a really hot summer -- so every cloud!!

Leslie 10 March 2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 9925551)
A senior economist at the worldwide bank HSBC has warned of civil unrest in Britain if food prices continue to soar.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, senior global economist Karen Ward cautioned that the UK could experience the kind of food riots seen in other countries.

"Even in the developed world I think we have very, very low wage growth, so people aren't getting more in their pay packet to compensate them for food and energy, and I think we could see social unrest certainly in parts of the developed world and the UK as well."

She went on to highlight the link between high food prices and the escalating cost of crude oil.

"More and more we are seeing that some of these foodstuffs are actually substitutes for energy itself, particularly biofuels. So I think the energy markets are a significant contributor to these food price gains."

The comments come as the United Nations warned the cost of food is now at the highest level for 21 years and set to rise further.

Food costs have gone up for eight months in a row, with the National Farmers Union forecasting the trend will continue for the rest of 2011.

The cost of basic foodstuffs has been caused by increasing demand and extreme weather destroying crops and has been partly to blame for the unrest sweeping the arabic world.

Rising prices contributed to riots across North Africa and the Middle East in the past several months that have toppled leaders in Egypt and Tunisia.

Wheat has nearly doubled in price over the past six months and rising demand has caused the cost of sugar to rise by 14% over the past 12 months.

Chip

I think she is being alarmist in a tabloid manner and she is not doing the country any favours.

I don't think that the increase in food prices has reached such a stage with respect to what people in general can afford to buy.

People managed perfectly well in times of real austerity in this country without jumping up and down and causing havoc. We know the reasons for the price rises and rioting won't do any good as far as they are concerned.

Les

Coffin Dodger 10 March 2011 10:42 AM

I'm up for a ruck :D When and where? :lol1:

SJ_Skyline 10 March 2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9926216)
I think she is being alarmist in a tabloid manner and she is not doing the country any favours.

I don't think that the increase in food prices has reached such a stage with respect to what people in general can afford to buy.

People managed perfectly well in times of real austerity in this country without jumping up and down and causing havoc. We know the reasons for the price rises and rioting won't do any good as far as they are concerned.

Les

You hit the nail on the head Les :thumb: