ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   For Attention Of Home Audio / Hi Fi Fans (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/878913-for-attention-of-home-audio-hi-fi-fans.html)

Evolution Stu 09 March 2011 12:34 PM

For Attention Of Home Audio / Hi Fi Fans

Have any of your had any hands on experience with the Cyrus Stream XP yet?

dunx 09 March 2011 12:47 PM

No lovely (and expensive no doubt !) as it is... but I'd rather have my digital coax feed from my HTPC into the AV Master as is... money is an object in my house !

LoL

dunx

P.S. I'm playing with FLAC files downloaded from the Linn Records web-site... proper "hair's on the back of the neck" sound quality.

joz8968 09 March 2011 01:00 PM

What's people's take on optical vs coax for digital DD5.1 and above?

I'd use optical where appropriate, as it rules out electrical interference. I use both methods (with decent leads) with my AV kit, but can't tell the difference though.

Jamo 09 March 2011 05:40 PM

I nearly passed out buying a 10 metre 1.4 3d hdmi cable for my 3d projector, I cant imagine ever buying one of those :D

cjquicksilver 09 March 2011 05:48 PM

too expensive for minimal difference,

Ant 09 March 2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9924529)
What's people's take on optical vs coax for digital DD5.1 and above?

I'd use optical where appropriate, as it rules out electrical interference. I use both methods (with decent leads) with my AV kit, but can't tell the difference though.

Both methods are ok, but I use hdmi to carry my sound so I can get HD audio

joz8968 09 March 2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 9925088)
Both methods are ok, but I use hdmi to carry my sound so I can get HD audio

Indeed. :thumb:

I just have an older non-HDMI equipped AV amp, though. :(

joz8968 09 March 2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by j4mou (Post 9925002)
I nearly passed out buying a 10 metre 1.4 3d hdmi cable for my 3d projector, I cant imagine ever buying one of those :D

How much?!

Will an earlier non-v.1.4 HDMI not be able to carry the extra bandwidth of the data-heavy 3D info.?

Ant 09 March 2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9925112)
Indeed. :thumb:

I just have an older non-HDMI equipped AV amp, though. :(

Optical and coaxial will be no different as they're a digital signal. Use whatever you have :lol1:

joz8968 09 March 2011 06:31 PM

^^^ Yeah I'm forced to anyway - so Hobson's Choice anyway. ;)

Evolution Stu 09 March 2011 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9924495)
No lovely (and expensive no doubt !) as it is... but I'd rather have my digital coax feed from my HTPC into the AV8 Master as is... money is an object in my house !

P.S. I'm playing with FLAC files downloaded from the Linn Records web-site... proper "hair's on the back of the neck" sound quality.

Money is an object to us all but I don't smoke, rarely drink, and gave up on loose expensive women so HiFi is my only real crux. :)

I have my fileserver in the office at the top of the house and the house is gigabit wired so I need something that I can use with Cat5.

I have been looking for a used AV8 for a while as Cyrus no longer sell them but no joy. :(

dunx 09 March 2011 10:20 PM

I got mine from Audio-T ! Ex-demo.

Have seen them in the last few weeks on ebuy.

dunx

P.S. I really want a pair of QS PSX-R's or a new 2.1 stroker...

what would scooby do 09 March 2011 10:37 PM

If you are over 25 then expensive audio kit is a waste of money :thumb:

Funkii Munkii 09 March 2011 10:57 PM

Bull$hit, you appreciate it more :thumb:

dunx 10 March 2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9925867)

WHAT ?

Like owning a modified Subaru ?

:Whatever_

dunx

Evolution Stu 10 March 2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9925810)

Have never seen one on eBay, will look again right away!

Will drop Audio T an email too. Hadnt considered that admittedly, even though I buy all my Hi Fi from them. Doh. :wall:

Jamo 10 March 2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9925119)
How much?!

Will an earlier non-v.1.4 HDMI not be able to carry the extra bandwidth of the data-heavy 3D info.?

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/GF-HDMI-...ml?mv_pc=gbase :eek:

apparantly no it wont handle it according to the geeks at avforums I didnt have one long enough so had to buy one so just bought what they told me would be best.

Jamo 10 March 2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9925810)

dunx

P.S. I really want a pair of QS PSX-R's or a new 2.1 stroker...

he said ebuy stu :thumb:

Evolution Stu 10 March 2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by j4mou (Post 9926222)
he said ebuy stu :thumb:

So he did. None there either though. :(

joz8968 10 March 2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9926059)

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 9925915)

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9925867)

Bull$hit, you appreciate it more :thumb:

WHAT ?

Like owning a modified Subaru ?

:Whatever_

dunx

Ha. I think I know where wwsd is coming from. ;)

It's something to do with you lose your ability to pick out the highest 15-20 kHz frequencies, as past that age, on average, the hearing has deteriorated significantly (I think).

But I'm 42 and just happen to have, allegedly, the hearing prowess of an 18yo! (as tested about 12 months ago). :cool: Shame I don't put it use though... :freak3: :cuckoo:

dunx 10 March 2011 09:26 PM

If music were only about 18 kHz + then you'd be a bat... :lol1:

I may not hear as high...

I may not be able to read tiny green print on an ingredients list...

I may not be able to hit 40 mph on my MTB...

BUT I damn well won't stop trying all of the above.

LOL

dunx

P.S. Stu I don't do "advertising" hence the reference to ebuy... but I like Audio-T :lol1:

Evolution Stu 23 March 2011 05:13 PM

Decided to give a Squeezebox Duet a trial, looks a pretty tricky bit of kit for the money!

Jamz3k 23 March 2011 05:19 PM

I brought my Vinyl collection into the work on Sunday to show all the newer/younger lads what vinyl sounded like. Setup Monitor Audio BX-2s on Soundstyle Z1's, powered by a Yamaha AS-500 with a Rega RP-1.

It blew their fragile little minds and now MP3 and CD is a complete failure to them.:lol1:

Evolution Stu 23 March 2011 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9950600)
I brought my Vinyl collection into the work on Sunday to show all the newer/younger lads what vinyl sounded like. Setup Monitor Audio BX-2s on Soundstyle Z1's, powered by a Yamaha AS-500 with a Rega RP-1.

It blew their fragile little minds and now MP3 and CD is a complete failure to them.:lol1:

Ha Ha,
I miss vinyl myself but I am looking forward to my first experience of 24bit FLAC as its supposed to make CD sound very MP3 like.

Daryl 23 March 2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands (Post 9950587)
Decided to give a Squeezebox Duet a trial, looks a pretty tricky bit of kit for the money!

I had one for a while and it would have been a great bit of kit if it ever worked for more than 5 minutes. I suspect my wi-fi coverage was mainly to blame, but I know that plenty of other people have had similar problems. Perhaps any issues have been addressed now, so good luck with it. :)

Evolution Stu 23 March 2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 9950632)
I had one for a while and it would have been a great bit of kit if it ever worked for more than 5 minutes. I suspect my wi-fi coverage was mainly to blame, but I know that plenty of other people have had similar problems. Perhaps any issues have been addressed now, so good luck with it. :)

Thankfully my house is gigabit wired and has good wireless G and N dual band so hopefully all will work well. If I love it, I guess I will start trialling external DAC's too. Brill... FLAC... a new money burner! LOL

stormyuklondon1 23 March 2011 07:27 PM

I haven't heard the cyrus streamer, but i had a dem of the Bryston bdp-1 digital transport on Saturday. jesus its good. but not good enough to replace my turntable.
yet.. :)

Evolution Stu 24 March 2011 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1 (Post 9950794)
I haven't heard the cyrus streamer, but i had a dem of the Bryston bdp-1 digital transport on Saturday. jesus its good. but not good enough to replace my turntable.
yet.. :)

I have had a few demos so far, and they all sound pretty good, but not one store has ever used a 24/96 so I kind of dont get the point. I agree lossless is brilliant for having access to your whole collection at CD quality without actually getting off your ass and changing CD's, which is why I have ordered that spongebox as the remote looks wicked!

For me though, I want to hear something at 24/96 or better if possible, but I dont know if the Spongebox can actually process something better. Hopefully, I will find out the answer to that tomorrow!:D

bigsinky 24 March 2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9950600)

You Sir, I salute. Vinyl for me is and always will be a better listening experience

Evolution Stu 24 March 2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 9952267)
You Sir, I salute. Vinyl for me is and always will be a better listening experience

Have you compared it to 24/96 though?