ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Welsh or English? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/878093-welsh-or-english.html)

ScoobySteve69 04 March 2011 11:55 AM

Welsh or English?

Right, my mate`s Dad is English and his Mum is Welsh. He was born and lives in Chirk in North Wales. He says he`s English because his Dad is and he can choose. What is his true nationality?

My girlfriend said if a British couple give birth to a child in Japan, it doesn`t make them Japanese does it!!!

What do you peeps reckon?

bigsinky 04 March 2011 11:58 AM

he's a sheep shagger. still better than being a feckless chav.

Fat Boy 04 March 2011 11:58 AM

He can choose.

Say your dad was a British diplomat and you were born in Iran while he was there at the embassy, would you consider yourself Iranian?

what would scooby do 04 March 2011 12:02 PM

The Ceiriog Memorial Institute, in the Ceiriog valley, just west of Chirk, is home to a collection of Welsh cultural memorabilia and the complete tour takes between 34 and 38 seconds.

:D

EddScott 04 March 2011 12:03 PM

Your domicile is decided by that of your father.

I'm english, my wife is english but my daughter was born in Wales. I believe she is english.

Clarebabes 04 March 2011 12:25 PM

Erm, there's no such nationality as English, is there? :confused:

scud8 04 March 2011 01:26 PM

I don't think there is a formal definition when it comes to countries within UK - rules vary. For example he could play most sports for Wales if he wanted to (and was good enough), one grandparent is enough to qualify.

SwissTony 04 March 2011 01:32 PM

Can your mate sing ?
If he can, he's a welsh sheep shagging *******
if he cant, then he's a toffee nosed english git
:thumb:

BOB.T 04 March 2011 01:36 PM

Does he like Pot Noodle? :)

53 04 March 2011 01:38 PM

Is he signed off on the sick ? :p

Wurzel 04 March 2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9915432)
Erm, there's no such nationality as English, is there? :confused:

If that is the case why can't Ryan Giggs play for England? And why do we have 5 national football teams and 4 national rugby teams?

tony de wonderful 04 March 2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 9915386)
What is his true nationality?

British.

/end of thread.

:)

EddScott 04 March 2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 9915556)
If that is the case why can't Ryan Giggs play for England? And why do we have 5 national football teams and 4 national rugby teams?

I think you can choose when it comes to sports.

Say for instance my daughter becomes an uber netball player - I think she could either play for England or Wales. One would assume Wales as thats where she grew up.

Tidgy 04 March 2011 01:46 PM

ok, heres an easy one to answer

show him this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/...f1619cdd1f.jpg

is he turned on?

yes = welsh
no = english

though you said it was a hard choice?

pmsl

tony de wonderful 04 March 2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 9915386)
He was born and lives in Chirk in North Wales.

Scouse over-spill?:lol1:

Clarebabes 04 March 2011 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 9915556)

I think you'll find officially we are all British.

Wurzel 04 March 2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9915592)
I think you'll find officially we are all British.

So why don't we have a British football team and British rugby team?

SwissTony 04 March 2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 9915613)
So why don't we have a British football team and British rugby team?

because the welsh, scottish and irish are so crap that we english didnt want to be associated with them :D

ScoobySteve69 04 March 2011 02:46 PM

BTW, I`m Welsh!

Clarebabes 04 March 2011 02:47 PM

Don't we have a british rugby team sometimes? Is it a rugby league one? (You can see I'm an expert in this!)

Having a team from a particular nation does not mean that you are that Nationality. We live in a country which is England, Wales, Scotland etc. but our nationality is British because we live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Why do you not get this?

SwissTony 04 March 2011 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 9915654)
BTW, I`m Welsh!

Well keep that to yourself mate :Suspiciou

Wurzel 04 March 2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 9915654)
BTW, I`m Welsh!

Apparently you are not :D

Originally Posted by Clairbabes
Why do you not get this?

For the simple reason that we are an island mass made up of 2 seperate countries as Wales is not a country it is a principality of England.
Therefore as a country we have a nationality and that nationality is English.

Britain is a collection of Countries, England, and Scotland, Wales is still a principality so doesn't count as a country but still has a nationality.

Then we have the United Kingdom which incorperates The island of England and Scotland aswell as the island of Ireland which in itself is 2 seperate nations but for argument sake we will call them all Irish, and a few sundry other islands dotted round the place. We are not British unless you want to be for ease and being ashamed to say you are English, bearing in mind you are from Northampton I can understand why :D

I am English, I was born in England, my nationality is English, not Scottish, Irish, Welsh or British.

Godspeed Brakes 04 March 2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 9915564)
ok, heres an easy one to answer

show him this

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/...f1619cdd1f.jpg

is he turned on?

yes = welsh
no = english

though you said it was a hard choice?

pmsl

Now that is hot , hoping to meet something like this tonight in the pub :thumb::luvlove::luvlove:

Godspeed Brakes 04 March 2011 03:16 PM

oh and we do have a british rugby team , the British Lions :D

Wurzel 04 March 2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Godney (Post 9915695)
oh and we do have a british rugby team , the British Lions :D

Yes a team thrown together for specific tournaments a few times a year, usually for a jolly to the southern hemispheare.

Oh and it is called the British and Irish Lions. :D

Funkii Munkii 04 March 2011 03:21 PM

Wurzel - Giggsy did play for England at junior level, choose to play for Wales as his single mum was Welsh ( I wish he hadn't :().

Clarebabes, There was a British Rugby League team, about 3 years back they decided on an English and a Welsh team instead.

Tidgy 04 March 2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Godney (Post 9915693)
Now that is hot , hoping to meet something like this tonight in the pub :thumb::luvlove::luvlove:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Clarebabes 04 March 2011 03:34 PM

Don't misquote me Wurzel, or else!

Anyway, I am not from Northampton, and even if I was, that doesn't make any difference. Officially, and I don't care if you disagree or not, but if you are English, Welsh, Scottish or from Northern Ireland, your official nationality is British.

I've just a colleague from Northern Ireland who lives here and she said she is British as per her passport....

Wurzel 04 March 2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9915717)
Don't misquote me Wurzel, or else!

Corrected :D

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9915717)
I've just a colleague from Northern Ireland who lives here and she said she is British as per her passport....

Well would you admit to being Irish :D

Britain is a collective name for the islands we live on because it makes it easier for Johnny foreigner to remember.

British is a collective nationality because it makes it easier for Johnny foreigner to remember.

Like it or lump it I am English and not British. However I will admit to being a British Citizen if this makes you feel any better.

SwissTony 04 March 2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 9915692)
I am English, I was born in England, my nationality is English, not Scottish, Irish, Welsh or British.

But we all class you as a kraut :)