ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   22 or 24mm anti roll bar? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/878089-22-or-24mm-anti-roll-bar.html)

KickboxingCrazy 04 March 2011 11:24 AM

22 or 24mm anti roll bar?

i am wanting to get rid of the horrible scooby understeer on my sti and and wondering if i should go for the 22m or 24mm Rear version. i do trackdays alot but still use it on road (only weekends) thanks

alcazar 04 March 2011 12:06 PM

What's on it now? Go one size bigger, try an adjustable Whiteline one, mine is set on the middle.

KickboxingCrazy 04 March 2011 01:55 PM

standard at the moment, dont mind it a bit oversteering

alcazar 04 March 2011 02:08 PM

Well I was told by someone in the know to leave the front alone, but stiffen the rear to dial out understeer.

I also fitted uprated bushed, solid droplinks and an ALK.
Mine now goes like it's on rails............but Britain's 3rd world roads play hell up with my fillings:(

bonesetter 04 March 2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9915597)
Well I was told by someone in the know to leave the front alone, but stiffen the rear to dial out understeer.

I also fitted uprated bushed, solid droplinks and an ALK.
Mine now goes like it's on rails............but Britain's 3rd world roads play hell up with my fillings:(

+1

P1 NUT 04 March 2011 02:47 PM

This is what the general consensis is with the anti roll bars. If you want to do them both then go for 20mm front and 24mm or larger on the rear. I would go for 24mm rear.

The other good thing with the adjustable ones is that you can dial in how much oversteer you want depending on what setting you have it at.

bonesetter 04 March 2011 02:53 PM

Beef it up for a TD, soften it for road :D

10 min job after you've changed the position/fitted the bar once

Tazman861 04 March 2011 05:29 PM

Hmm I thought that the general consnsus was that the best combination for a classic was 22mm front and 24mm rear - is that no longer valid and if not when did this change?

bonesetter 04 March 2011 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tazman861 (Post 9915885)
Hmm I thought that the general consnsus was that the best combination for a classic was 22mm front and 24mm rear - is that no longer valid and if not when did this change?

What dia's have you got now F&R? My classic STi wagon had 19 & 20mm

I fitted a 22mm rear and left the front alone which totally transformed the car's handling, giving a nice balance

Here's what I said in a past thread after fitted the 22 rear:

Quick note on the rear Whiteline 24mm arb recently fitted on my 96 Sti.

Car feels totally sorted now.

Handling has gone from soft in the corners with rear wallow and a feeling of quite a bit of overall roll, to feeling tighter, flatter, more precise on the steering, with a huge increase in the amount of overall grip. I would say the car's balance is neutral. The arb is on the middle setting.

Handles like a true Scooby now

I reckon the rear arb has got to be must upgrade. On a bang for buck basis you get a massive improvement for your money. Highly recommended...

Martin 2010 04 March 2011 07:20 PM

if you only doing the rear get a 22, if your gonna do both get a 22 on front and 24 adjustable on rear

TylerDurden 05 March 2011 03:21 PM

Hi I have a bug sti, i had a 24mm rear fitted, alk and droplinks, this was very very good, i then had a 22mm fornt bar fitted, threw the old one away, and even on the soft setting its horrible, wish I bought something else instead, so im now looking for a standard fornt bar. I dont think you shoukd bother with the front.

Tazman861 05 March 2011 06:15 PM

Bugs (and all newage) are diffrent though - much heavier than a classic and therefore isn't there more weight for the ARBs to deal with? therefore they will work differently with the 22mm front and 24mm rear set up.

s70rjw 05 March 2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden (Post 9917311)
Hi I have a bug sti, i had a 24mm rear fitted, alk and droplinks, this was very very good, i then had a 22mm fornt bar fitted, threw the old one away, and even on the soft setting its horrible, wish I bought something else instead, so im now looking for a standard fornt bar. I dont think you shoukd bother with the front.

What were the negatives of fitting the front ARB?

Scooby1975 05 March 2011 09:18 PM

Rear 24mm Whiteline for me, with Anti Lift kit and upgraded drop links and Tein coilovers. Car is planted to the ground with no understeer at all, turn in as sharp as you like and car just goes where you point it.

TylerDurden 05 March 2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by s70rjw (Post 9917933)
What were the negatives of fitting the front ARB?

Hi m8, The car does not take bumps very well at all, seems to follow the road rather than the input I give from the steering (if that makes sense), the steering feels very vague now, just doesnt turn aswell as it used to, the tyres (toyo proxes t1r) seem as though they are squirming under the car, very crashy, bangy ride. I read threads on here about lift off oversteer etc, got worried and had the front fitted, the car did not oversteer in the slightest, even in the wet, had the front fitted and coming off a roundabout to join a dual carriageway, put my foot down in 2nd and the car was fishtailing left and right, very lucky there was no one behind me. Seems the front bar caused more steering issues than the rear bar, also seems like there is alot less grip, car is jumpy over bumps at speed, and has completely lost that planted feeling it used to have. Although its better since I had coilovers fitted a few days ago, the bar is still coming off. Hope that helps.

bonesetter 06 March 2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Martin 2010 (Post 9916089)
if you only doing the rear get a 22, if your gonna do both get a 22 on front and 24 adjustable on rear

This looks good advise.

I went 24R 22F on Whiteline's advise and my blob handled brilliantly

daijones 07 March 2011 12:24 AM

Relative to the standard set up, a stiffer front ARB gives more understeer, a stiffer rear gives more oversteer. It's worth stiffening the ARBs all round, but if you want to dial out the oversteer stiffen the rear by more than the front.

s70rjw 07 March 2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden (Post 9918249)
Hi m8, The car does not take bumps very well at all, seems to follow the road rather than the input I give from the steering (if that makes sense), the steering feels very vague now, just doesnt turn aswell as it used to, the tyres (toyo proxes t1r) seem as though they are squirming under the car, very crashy, bangy ride. I read threads on here about lift off oversteer etc, got worried and had the front fitted, the car did not oversteer in the slightest, even in the wet, had the front fitted and coming off a roundabout to join a dual carriageway, put my foot down in 2nd and the car was fishtailing left and right, very lucky there was no one behind me. Seems the front bar caused more steering issues than the rear bar, also seems like there is alot less grip, car is jumpy over bumps at speed, and has completely lost that planted feeling it used to have. Although its better since I had coilovers fitted a few days ago, the bar is still coming off. Hope that helps.

That helps me a lot mate. Got the 24 rear along with other bits, standard front. Think I'll keep it as it is

bonesetter 07 March 2011 07:38 PM

I've found the guys at Whiteline to be very helpful, giving fair and good advice. They sorted my oversteer out a treat, also producing a car which now handles brilliantly, and of course much better than it did.

Here on these forums you can get much conflicting views :wonder:

dunx 07 March 2011 08:01 PM

My front bar just dialled out some of the oversteer caused by the stiffer rear bar... thus increasing the overall grip.

But the smiles per £ are much lower than a rear bar.

dunx

P.S. Young Bob, you should try mine... LoL

s70rjw 07 March 2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9921642)
My front bar just dialled out some of the oversteer caused by the stiffer rear bar... thus increasing the overall grip.

dunx

Just tell me when and where Dunx :thumb::thumb:

dunx 07 March 2011 09:13 PM

Squire's at Sherburn on the first Tuesday of the month...

Except she'll be in bits next month :(

dunx

sonic93 27 April 2013 12:30 PM

I know it's old thread but i fitted a 24mm rear arb and it just wants to oversteer. It's on middle setting where do you guys set yours on type r?

53 27 April 2013 12:54 PM

If you fit a 24mm rear you really want a 22mm front :) Put it on soft if you have the standard front ARB, otherwise it will be annoyingly twitchy :)

fawor 27 April 2013 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 9918385)
This looks good advise.

I went 24R 22F on Whiteline's advise and my blob handled brilliantly

+1 i have on mine
you could go 25R rear 23F(i think is 23) perrin arbs

sonic93 27 April 2013 01:52 PM

Put it to soft a bit better but not much better than standard really and still very twitchy at rear and hitting same corners and roundabouts slower than before on standard bar

bonesetter 27 April 2013 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by fawor (Post 11072166)
+1 i have on mine
you could go 25R rear 23F(i think is 23) perrin arbs

Similar to what I ran eventually on the Blob (JDM 370/360, road going mainly) - 24 rear set on middle (~25) & 22 front on stiffest (~23) :)

An Anglesey/Midlands run was pretty much the most memorable Impreza run ever on that set up, on coilovers too, which I normally hate :top:

s100bey 30 April 2013 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by sonic93 (Post 11072167)
Put it to soft a bit better but not much better than standard really and still very twitchy at rear and hitting same corners and roundabouts slower than before on standard bar

Sonic - we've never met at the MSOC meets I did see you in your yellow RA the time when the lady pranged her car into the back of someone and ruined the meet, I was in the white Beemer estate.

The only thing roll bar related that would cause it to be oversteery would be a SOFTER Arb having less body control and loading the outside wheel.

A perrin ARB on any setting on a 24mm bar could hardly be described as soft so I think that your handling traits is more likely to be a cause of other factors to do with rear toe, ride height, and camber all being huge factors affecting handling.

Backontrack in guildford set my car up three weeks ago ask Budgie, Maggy or any of the guys at the last meet - its on rails stays neutral and holds it position really well. I would say that £250 spent on a ride height, camber adjustment and toe settings front and rear would work wonders.

Back on tracks VX220 racecar won the MSV trophy this year and they run lotus elise racecars- Jez and his old man really know the suspension game. they have transformed my car.

For the record though my ARB on the back is on the softest (ie the longest pivot point away on the bar)

If you want to have a ride at the may MSOC then you are more than welcome.

Handling is a very personal thing as we all know but I know that a car that you dont have confidence in is not a car you like to drive fast thats for sure.

Are you running coilovers and camber adjusters too?

Jwrx_sti 01 May 2013 12:17 AM

have a 22mm front and 24mm rear on my hawk and pleased with how it handles

south_scoob 20 October 2015 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9921642)

dunx

Yeah im sure going more then one size up without upgrading the fronts will upset the cars balance and might even lead to sum snappy oversteer @ high speed like that guy in the scooby on the last topgear :facepalm: