ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Blown engine on 2001 wrx uk300 what else will fit? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/874682-blown-engine-on-2001-wrx-uk300-what-else-will-fit.html)

cbr6 23 February 2011 03:08 PM

Blown engine on 2001 wrx uk300 what else will fit?

Hi the engine on my 2001 wrx uk300 has blown and i was wondering what my options are for a replacement? i would quite like to put an sti in as i have been told these are a lot stronger is this correct? and if so will it go straight in? (mines an ej20) i have been offered an engine out of a 99 wrx with a tdo4 turbo, mine has a tdo5 will mine fit on that engine? or would i be better off sticking with the tdo4? my local garage have said they will put any impreza engine in that i buy! but some people are saying they will not be able to do that without new wiring looms etc. Sorry for all the questions but i am getting so much conflicting information that my head is scrambled! any help would be greatly appreciated

jura11 23 February 2011 03:27 PM

Hi there contact here APIDavid https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=22314 send him PM about the options and prices.
Really depends on your budget what you can do....

Jura

Kedlestone 23 February 2011 05:44 PM

Failing that give Jap Performace Parts a shout, they have loads of engines in stock :)

nick172sport 23 February 2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kedlestone (Post 9898680)
Failing that give Jap Performace Parts a shout, they have loads of engines in stock :)

search the threads in the search engine dont go there:(

biggazvr6 23 February 2011 09:46 PM

Alan jefery on here is suposidly very good at what he does. Give him a call. It won't be a waste of a phone call.

cbr6 24 February 2011 11:19 AM

thanks for all your help it's most appreciated, after talking to one or two of the recommendations that you gave me it looks like i am going to use a 2.5 short motor and the head from mine goes straight on :-) that should leave me with a better car (hopefully) than i started with!

Midlife...... 24 February 2011 05:05 PM

2.5 short motor will fit and your heads will also bolt on........but the squish volume will be wrong so re-mapping needed and also headwork if you want the diameters and volume correct, the TD04 that came with your car (no newage came with a TD05) will also be a bit asthmatic. The torque from the mapped 2.5 would strain the drivetrain etc.

Personally I'd go for a rebuild if you want to keep the car fairly standard :D

Shaun

cbr6 14 July 2011 07:56 PM

just a quick update on this, I got Ant from Edmondsons to do all the work, they fitted a 2.5 with race main bearing,forged pistons and used the cylinder heads from mine, fitted uprated fuel and oil pump, pink injectors, vf35 turbo, uprated the clutch and various other small mods which Ant would be able to explain far better than me!. The car feels amazing smooth,fast and stacks and stacks of Torque :-). Can't really say enough good things about Edmondsons they were so helpful and explained things clearly and made me aware of what problems they might come across and how much it would cost to sort if they did. The job was completed within budget and without drama can't really say anymore other than cheers Ant you and your lads are a credit to the industry :-)

Midlife...... 14 July 2011 08:19 PM

Glad you got it sorted..... :) I'd start saving for a new gearbox and clutch unless it's been very sympathetically mapped :D

Shaun

cbr6 14 July 2011 08:27 PM

Cheers, had a new heavy duty clutch fitted and yep they warned me about the box! But I decided I had spent enough for the time being! so hopefully it will last out until I've re-stocked my finances!

A.D.Edmundson 15 July 2011 02:59 PM

Thanks for the kind words, glad your happy we aim to please! :thumb:

I like your comment on the car as it sums it up perfect ''it feels like a really really fast diesel'' :D

Cheers ant