ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Draper tools, any good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/874591-draper-tools-any-good.html)

Jamz3k 22 February 2011 08:49 PM

Draper tools, any good?

Looking to buy a Torque Wrench and they seem to be reasonablely priced for a well known brand but maybe I'm wrong?

davyboy 22 February 2011 09:12 PM

For the amount of time you will use it, it will be fine.

200sex 22 February 2011 09:17 PM

i stay away from them brought a socket set and first use broke my 12mm in half and then my 15mm cracked in 5 places i wouldnt waste my money again

Jamz3k 22 February 2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 9897217)
For the amount of time you will use it, it will be fine.

This is what puts me off getting the Halfords Advance Torque Wrench as I cannot really see me justifying the £70 pricetag for something i'll be using to torque up a sump plug and do the sparkplugs.

I have to say I bought a 3/8 Socket set for £20 and it has been great, so well build for the price.

chocolate_o_brian 22 February 2011 09:19 PM

Draper is ok but nothing like Snap-on. A lot of the stuff given to us apprentices at work was Kennedy stuff and to be fair aside from the toolbox falling apart, the tools have taken some real abuse in the 18 mons I've used them.

chocolate_o_brian 22 February 2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9897232)
This is what puts me off getting the Halfords Advance Torque Wrench as I cannot really see me justifying the £70 pricetag for something i'll be using to torque up a sump plug and do the sparkplugs.

Catch them when they're on offer. Got a small Advanced socket set when £19.99 from £49.99 - excellent piece of kit. :thumb:

Jamz3k 22 February 2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9897233)
Draper is ok but nothing like Snap-on. A lot of the stuff given to us apprentices at work was Kennedy stuff and to be fair aside from the toolbox falling apart, the tools have taken some real abuse in the 18 mons I've used them.

I take it Kennedy is a line that general public can buy too?

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9897237)
Catch them when they're on offer. Got a small Advanced socket set when £19.99 from £49.99 - excellent piece of kit. :thumb:

As said above i snapped that socket set up myself, absolutely brilliant compared to the dodgy socket set i had before.

stoneface 22 February 2011 09:27 PM

Draper expert is good stuff, I have A 1/2" socket set, 3/8" socket set, torque wrench, spanners and ratchet spanners plus a few other bits all been given a lot of grief over a few years and had no trouble at all. All on a par with Teng, and Britool tools I have also.

ScoobyWon't 22 February 2011 09:27 PM

The Halfords Pro' stuff is great assuming you get it on offer - normally up to 66% off.

Just returned from the USA with £700 worth of Makita power tools, which cost under £400 over there. Whatever you choose, it'll probably be cheaper abroad, should you know anyone who can bring it back for you.

chocolate_o_brian 22 February 2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 9897256)
I take it Kennedy is a line that general public can buy too?

I couldn't say actually mate :lol1:

sorry.

dpb 22 February 2011 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 9897272)
The Halfords Pro' stuff is great assuming you get it on offer - normally up to 66% off.

Just returned from the USA with £700 worth of Makita power tools, which cost under £400 over there. Whatever you choose, it'll probably be cheaper abroad, should you know anyone who can bring it back for you.

No problem them having different electrics then ?

dpb 22 February 2011 10:47 PM

Funnily enough i need torque wrench this week , and my 20 year old example seems to have gone :(

Jamescsti 23 February 2011 08:57 AM

I had a draper jigsaw, was a shocking tool, absolutely useless, having said that I have a draper hammer drill which is pretty good.

ScoobyWon't 23 February 2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9897477)
No problem them having different electrics then ?

It all works off the same 18v Li batteries. You can mod the charger to fit a 3 pin plug or simply add a step down at the socket.

scoobyvirgin 23 February 2011 11:53 AM

Can't remember what make mine is, I only paid about £25 but it's had a fair amount of work and it's fine.
Don't undo things with it as that will knacker it. Also, always loosen it off once you've finished with it as leaving it at a torque setting knackers the spring and it will then not be acurate.

Leslie 23 February 2011 03:57 PM

Should do you well enough for occasional use.

Les

Wizzbang 23 February 2011 09:34 PM

Ive got a regular Draper torque wrench which is fine for occasional use, but my main tools are Halfords Pro, and like folk have said, its all been sourced while discounted. Broke the mechanism in the 1/4" ratchet on its first use, but got it exchanged without a single problem and the replacement has been fine.

We use Kennedy tools at work....cheap and cheerful, but tbh the only stuff to break is the ratchets, and most of that is due to them being used as hammers half the time lol