ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Classic sti oil change (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/874383-classic-sti-oil-change.html)

d7nmr 21 February 2011 05:42 PM

Classic sti oil change

Done a oil change on previous cars before. Will it be the same procedure for sti classic.

Keep hearing these things about crank sensor and others are saying I didn't do that. So what the correct way of doing the oil change.

Same procedure as a Clio or a Honda. Saying these because done a oil change on them before and it's nice and simple steps.

What do i need to look out for?

my94wrx 21 February 2011 06:22 PM

its up to you how you do it, the only thing i do is fill the filter before fitting, fill the engine and start in the six years i have had my subaru i have never disconnected the crank sensor for a oil change and never will, although as i have said its up to you.

d7nmr 21 February 2011 06:49 PM

I'm doing a oil change on Saturday, really confused about this

my94wrx 21 February 2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by d7nmr (Post 9894903)
I'm doing a oil change on Saturday, really confused about this

confused about what?

mystery_machine 21 February 2011 07:04 PM

I agree with my94wrx, same as any car really but I would fill the filter with oil before you put it on the car :)

bish667 21 February 2011 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by mystery_machine (Post 9894954)
I agree with my94wrx, same as any car really but I would fill the filter with oil before you put it on the car :)

+!

kaz_r555 21 March 2011 03:36 PM

the only reason you would disconnect the crank sensor is so you can perform a method called dry cranking. doing this after topping up the oil filter and fitting, will circulate the right amount of oil through the engine as a Safety Measure. also you can remove spark plugs rather than disconnect crank sensor as it will take the same effect.

musso2010 21 March 2011 03:59 PM

For some reason, people think it is a 'dark art' doing an oil change on the impreza... but the guys above have got it right. Pre-fill the filter, and dry crank it. Simples.

Gambit 21 March 2011 08:30 PM

there is no need to even dry crank it. you dont dry crank your car every morning do you? so why would you dry crank it after a 20min oil change. unless its a fresh engine rebuild or has been lying for about 6mths i wouldnt bother dry cranking.

pre fill the oil filter thats all.

kaz_r555 20 April 2011 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 9947268)
there is no need to even dry crank it. you dont dry crank your car every morning do you? so why would you dry crank it after a 20min oil change. unless its a fresh engine rebuild or has been lying for about 6mths i wouldnt bother dry cranking.

pre fill the oil filter thats all.

well when your doing an oil change the oil is drained out, overnight your oil is still sits in the engine. so dry cranking is not needed.. just a good way get oil around the pistons before you start the car.

andyamf 20 April 2011 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by kaz_r555 (Post 9996601)
well when your doing an oil change the oil is drained out, overnight your oil is still sits in the engine. so dry cranking is not needed.. just a good way get oil around the pistons before you start the car.

when you leave your car overnight mate the oil sits in the sump, it drains there overnight.
when you change the oil you take it out of the sump and put it back in the sump, no difference.
fill the oil filter with oil and start it up.

TonyBurns 20 April 2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by andyamf (Post 9996617)
when you leave your car overnight mate the oil sits in the sump, it drains there overnight.
when you change the oil you take it out of the sump and put it back in the sump, no difference.
fill the oil filter with oil and start it up.

Well it would be the first time ive ever heard a subaru sump taking 4,5ltrs of oil ;)
It doesnt all drain to the sump, when you do an oil change it all drains out of the engine, which means you have no oil in the journals, at night only so much drains back to the sump (probably 2-3ltrs depending on which model you have), the rest is still in the oil journals and will provide lubrication when you start your engine.
On doing an oil change you have no oil in the journals as its not been run through the engine, hence why you dry crank it to stop you getting oil starvation.
Lots of threads on this, worth using the search button ;)

Tony:)

Gambit 20 April 2011 01:48 PM

what happens then when you refill with the new oil and the 2-3ltrs goes into the sump, where does the other 1.5-2.5ltrs go?