ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Water In Boot (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/874135-water-in-boot.html)

oldsplice 20 February 2011 11:17 AM

Water In Boot

Apparently, the whole boot of my old Classic keeps getting wet. Any ideas where it could be coming from?

Sorry to be a bit vague, but it now belongs to our chum's son, so I'm getting the info 3rd hand.

rossyboy 20 February 2011 11:40 AM

Have the rear lights been changed?

Poor sealing around them is the usual suspect.

my06 ppp silver 20 February 2011 11:44 AM

tell him its more than likely coming from the rain out of the sky...........taxi.

The king 20 February 2011 11:49 AM

Spoler, lights or gasket would be my main suspect, in that order.

oldsplice 20 February 2011 12:53 PM

It was fine when I had it. No problem in 9 years! :smug:

There's actually mould growing in there now. :( I'll pass on those suggestions.........especially the 'sky' one.....;)

Any more ideas would be gratefully accepted.

mickywrx 20 February 2011 12:55 PM

Rear screen seal.

scixer6r 20 February 2011 01:04 PM

This is one problem that subaru never seemed to of sorted out,even my RB320 had water coming in.I took it to my mate & we had spoiler off sealed all holes ,then adjusted boot catch so it pulled down more when closed.So far so good,you would of thought they would of sorted it on a hawk but no.:cuckoo:

alcazar 20 February 2011 01:05 PM

https://www.scoobynet.com/search.php?searchid=3972445

A few there to be going on with. ;)

It's USUALLY the rear light seals, I've just done mine for the second time, first time I re-used the black sealant it came with. This time I've re-done it with this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAFAX-IDL-99...item439f561795

Which is the correct stuff to use, although you DO need a 400ml mastic gun to get it out of the tube unless you are strong. There's enough in one tube to do BOTH rear lights and the spoiler holes and still have some left.

DON'T use silicone or Tiger-Seal, etc, you'll never get the lights off again if you do:(

oldsplice 20 February 2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9892156)
https://www.scoobynet.com/search.php?searchid=3972445

A few there to be going on with. ;)

It's USUALLY the rear light seals, I've just done mine for the second time, first time I re-used the black sealant it came with. This time I've re-done it with this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAFAX-IDL-99...item439f561795

Which is the correct stuff to use, although you DO need a 400ml mastic gun to get it out of the tube unless you are strong. There's enough in one tube to do BOTH rear lights and the spoiler holes and still have some left.

DON'T use silicone or Tiger-Seal, etc, you'll never get the lights off again if you do:(

It won't be me doing it luckily. It's my ex-car (God, I loved that car!). The lad that owns it now, works for Aston's, so you'd think they'd be able to help find it!

On the upside, it did a lap at Brands in 1.6 on Friday! :D

alcazar 20 February 2011 01:12 PM

If you go through that list of threads, you'll find that there are about SIX places water gets in, starting with the lights, (most common) and going to the rear screen seal, (least common). I've had all of 'em:(

oldsplice 20 February 2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9892173)
If you go through that list of threads, you'll find that there are about SIX places water gets in, starting with the lights, (most common) and going to the rear screen seal, (least common). I've had all of 'em:(

Well, you obviously don't look after yours properly then! :p ;)

Link didn't work for me. Forgot to say in my last post. Just says 'Sorry no matches: :cuckoo:

alcazar 20 February 2011 01:16 PM

It works for me. If it won't for you, just go into search> advanced search and type in "water in boot". It's PRETTY common;)

oldsplice 20 February 2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9892186)
It works for me. If it won't for you, just go into search> advanced search and type in "water in boot". It's PRETTY common;)

Now you know why I'm not allowed out of the kitchen very often. :D

alcazar 20 February 2011 01:19 PM

LOL.:D

mickywrx 20 February 2011 07:24 PM

My rear screen leaks, as does the O/S rear light.

Time to drill a hole in the spare wheel well/pond. :D

oldsplice 20 February 2011 08:04 PM

Have you got fish in yours? :D

alcazar 20 February 2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 9892873)

I hope that IS a joke, Mickey?

If you have water coming in, it's always hard to stop condensation in the car.
Plus, in mine, water gathered in the spare wheel well, and in the area below where the toolkit is. So TWO holes?

Andy03STI 20 February 2011 10:45 PM

I had water in my boot. Turned out to be boot seal. Was very easy to pull off. Took it off squeezed it all together and fit back on. Nice tight fit Not leaked since.

ginger321 20 February 2011 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 9892873)

There might be a small rubber bung in the spare wheel well.:idea:

My 98 classic wagon had one, i found it when i was leak hunting.

i took it out and it helped till i found the rear nearside lights seals seemed to have perished and that caused the water ingress

Dee33223 21 February 2011 03:15 PM

Maybe not much use. But i went through deepish water and got my rear panels filled with water. The area under the jack cubby hole bit. I have a 99 Classic wagon and there is a square vent in each wing with a membrane covering the holes. The water pushed through it with the force it had and i got 2 wings to pump the water out. You have to get the plastic crap all off to get into it. I got fed up and ripped it all out. Not fun.

davefaedeen 21 February 2011 04:10 PM

ive had 5 imprezas MY00 turbo, MY04 WR1, MY07 RB320, MY95 wrx sti and currently a MY06 blobeye WRX STI and they ALL have had boot leaking problems... my answer.... park it in a garage or under cover (ohh and if u have an amp in the boot put some plastic over it trust me!!!)

LOL!!!!

Steve T 21 February 2011 06:36 PM

As dee says.My MY00 classic had water leaking into the boot. I resealed the vent in the rear wing( Offside in my case) with silicone sealant and all was well. Steve:).

beef-on-the-bone 21 February 2011 07:10 PM

i had a small hole in the corner of my boot under the rain gutter........

oldsplice 21 February 2011 08:03 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions boys, it really is appreciated. Keep any more suggestions coming. :luvlove:

Davefaedeen............if you've had trouble with every one you've bought, maybe you should try reading the instruction manual on how to shut the boot properly! :p :lol1:

.........although I don't even know how to use the climate control thingies on new one yet........I've only had it since May! :o

The Rig 21 February 2011 08:39 PM

If you cant find the source,there are rubber bungs in the bottom of the bootfloor for a reason !

pull one out

Scratch 21 February 2011 10:25 PM

Usual suspect on the classics is the rear lights, pop the boot trim, undo the bolts get them out clean up fit back with roof/gutter sealant.

Worked for me :)

The Rig 21 February 2011 11:47 PM

My culprits were

Fuel filler neck outside sealed with sealant
fuel filler neck inside sealed with sealant
rear lights,even tho removed reused original gunk
lowered bootlid catch to pulldown the boot onto the seal better

spoiler holes let water in but only gets the carpet wet now,small areas.

oldsplice 22 February 2011 10:44 AM

I think I fancy the 'getting him into the boot with torch' idea, just to punish him for not washing it for the last few weeks! I told him I'd only let him have it if he looked after it! :mad: