ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Employer states "Royal wedding an unofficial holiday" (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/873805-employer-states-royal-wedding-an-unofficial-holiday.html)

Sonic Blue Type R 17 February 2011 07:57 PM

Employer states "Royal wedding an unofficial holiday"

I just had a memo from work stating that the Royal wedding on the 29th April is an 'unofficial holiday' and therefore are not entitled to the day off!!

Although reading this from a government web site I think my boss is a lying B4STARD:mad:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_192663

Basically is the statement 'an unofficial holiday' true? If so then ther aint much I can do, but if not then he's getting Royally shafted!! :)

172sport 17 February 2011 08:03 PM

Only permanent staff are being paid at our place........

leecalcars 17 February 2011 08:04 PM

it is a an official bank holiday tell him you waont be in on the 29th end of !

jods 17 February 2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by leecalcars (Post 9887754)
it is a an official bank holiday tell him you waont be in on the 29th end of !

+1 Tell him to touch his toes and kiss his own hairy brown A-Hole :nono:

scud8 17 February 2011 08:18 PM

It depends on what your contract of employment says. If it says you are entitled to all public or bank holidays then your boss doesn't have a choice. If it names specific public or holidays or says how many you are entitled to, then he is within his rights.

http://www.shoosmiths.co.uk/news/3331.asp

Sonic Blue Type R 17 February 2011 08:23 PM

I have worked there for over 10 years!! The thing that's pi55ing me off is that they are trying to cover the fact that they are possibly not legally obliged to give the day off as a holiday, but to say that it is an 'unofficial holiday' to try and get out of it just seams like a blatant lie!!

They could just say, your not getting the holiday because we are not legally obliged to do so, so your not getting it. Yeah totally out of order but truthful nether the less.

I just want to pull them up for lying to get them out of giving the holiday!!

scatty 17 February 2011 08:26 PM

our lot have to book it off as a holiday day if they want it off....but thats down to bank hols working....its still officially a bank holiday....

stuart69 17 February 2011 08:39 PM

The 29th is a friday,in alot of buisneses a busy day,times are hard,and everydays trade counts:thumb:

You would think differently if you were the employer;)

Geezer 17 February 2011 08:41 PM

You don't have an automatic right to paid leave on bank and public holidays, though many people receive the day off work. Any right to time off or extra pay for working on a bank holiday depends on the terms of your contract of employment.
and

You do not have a statutory right to paid leave on bank and public holidays. If your employer gives paid leave on a bank or public holiday, this can count towards your minimum holiday entitlement. There are eight permanent bank and public holidays in England and Wales (nine in Scotland and ten in Northern Ireland).
If you work on a bank or public holiday, there is no automatic right to an enhanced pay rate. What you get paid depends on your contract of employment.
Unlucky, but he is being a *******!

Geezer

mattvortex 17 February 2011 08:44 PM

I would rather work for nothing than watch the media crap of some boring wedding- who gives a fu3k?

fitzscoob 17 February 2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by stuart69 (Post 9887837)
The 29th is a friday,in alot of buisneses a busy day,times are hard,and everydays trade counts:thumb:

You would think differently if you were the employer;)

Totally agree.

timmy2take 17 February 2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mattvortex (Post 9887854)
I would rather work for nothing than watch the media crap of some boring wedding- who gives a fu3k?

No one does, but it'll be one of the few extra bank holidays we'll get in our lifetime.

Sonic Blue Type R 17 February 2011 09:05 PM

Yeah totally agree, I am not interested in the wedding, and I know that businesses are feeling the pinch, my main point being that they are stating that the holiday is 'UNOFFICIAL' which I don't think is a correct statement to issue in a company memo!!

hodgy0_2 17 February 2011 09:07 PM

what you want to do is book the 26th 27th 28th of April off -- 3 days and you get nearly two weeks of - get in

SpecDscooby 17 February 2011 09:07 PM

My contract states i get off xmas day and fek all else, all other bank holidays will be included in my holiday entitlement.....so its perfection then, i dont get a forced sh1t day off watching a horse faced german with thinning hair marry some bint from a tiny village, i get to take the day when I want.....a right touch:)

scud8 17 February 2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 9887874)
No one does, but it'll be one of the few extra bank holidays we'll get in our lifetime.

There's another one next year on for the Queen's diamond jubilee.

andythejock01wrx 17 February 2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 9887874)

Well I'm an avid Royalist and I can't wait to spend the afternoon in front of the telly watching the loved up Royal! I've taken the time off inbetween Easter so now have 11 days off including weekends. :D

.........Ok, so I might go out on my bike that day! ;)

Terminator X 17 February 2011 09:29 PM

It's a Bank Holiday so if your leave allowance is x days + BH's then you're AOK :thumb:

TX.

PS

I predict that you may be ill on that day ...

hutton_d 17 February 2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9887975)
... I predict that you may be ill on that day ...

I can see he's looking a bit "peaky" even now .... :thumb:

Dave

Leslie 19 February 2011 10:24 AM

Can't see the justification for making it a bank holiday anyway.

Les

the clam jowster 19 February 2011 12:49 PM

All im interested in is checking out Kates bangers on tele and having a few beers in the same time in the pub.

Adrian F 19 February 2011 01:06 PM

Government trying to cheer us up with an extra day off work

leecalcars 19 February 2011 11:01 PM

Totally agree weddings not my cup of tea ! but on the other hand like said we dont really get enough holidays in the year i personally get 25 days paid plus bank holidays, i work 12 hrs a day 6 days a week ans sometimes am too busy to take time off due to contracts starting and finishing.

So for me bring it on day off paid 7.5 hrs for drinking beer and watching top gear ....get in there !

DYK 19 February 2011 11:04 PM

I wonder if we will all get sent a slice of cake..:wonder:

StickyMicky 20 February 2011 06:17 AM

We had a memo stating........

"Nissan Motors UK and the government have decided to allow the wedding day to be a paid holiday"

:lol1:

Ohhhhh how nice of NMUK to allow us to have a day off :D

mart360 20 February 2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 9891781)
We had a memo stating........

"Nissan Motors UK and the government have decided to allow the wedding day to be a paid holiday"

:lol1:

Ohhhhh how nice of NMUK to allow us to have a day off :D

Back on the track Micky?

mart