ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Low battery setting off alarm? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/873638-low-battery-setting-off-alarm.html)

gino 16 February 2011 06:35 PM

Low battery setting off alarm?

I've been told that my factory-fitted alarm, (03 wrx), is going off radomly at night beacause my battery is low due to me not using the car often..............can this be?????

Thanks

brendy76 16 February 2011 06:42 PM

not necessarily, could be the internal sensors (if you have them of course) reacting to temperature changes etc. I have a cobra system and during the cold spells, disable the internal sensors and no more hassle, battery was never low either.

If your car will start after the alarm going off, its not the battery.

s70rjw 16 February 2011 06:51 PM

I had that happen years ago on my Cossie. seems as the battery wasn't holding its charge, the alarm was sensing a voltage drop, similar to the courtesy light coming on when door is opened. Get your battery checked, its free at many places. If that don't fix it, look elsewhere.

scoobydog63 16 February 2011 07:01 PM

Had this happen on my MY03 but only on start up. It would just go off briefly every now and then when I started it up.

s70rjw 16 February 2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by scoobydog63 (Post 9885612)
Had this happen on my MY03 but only on start up. It would just go off briefly every now and then when I started it up.

Was it just a chirp at start up?

zs_phil 16 February 2011 07:11 PM

Put your sidelights on when driving it even in the day ,they have smartcharge i used to have my03 do that then stopped after a long drive with sidelights on,never had a problem after that

Wilky_Boy 16 February 2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 9885640)
Put your sidelights on when driving it even in the day ,they have smartcharge i used to have my03 do that then stopped after a long drive with sidelights on,never had a problem after that

The man's right :thumb:! Had the same prob with the alarm on my 04 WRX, and someone suggested running with my side lights on. It put enough charge into the battery and I had no further problems. :)

kewe 16 February 2011 07:25 PM

Is it also true the sidelights/lights go off when you leave the car on these models so the battery won't discharge. Found it a bit strange there is no warning sound or display on the dash to show lights are on or left on when exiting the car?

s70rjw 16 February 2011 07:30 PM

Lights go off with the ignition. Parking light switch on top of the steering column cowling

stu turbo 98 16 February 2011 07:51 PM

your alarm will go off when battery is low,both of mine do it,its due to the voltage sensor detecting the drop.

silverscooby09 16 February 2011 07:58 PM

mine did the same got to the point were I fitted a new battery was ok for a few months but come back now and again - keep meaning to take it to the garage to check which sensor is setting it off but never get the time always more important things to tinker with.

kewe 16 February 2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by s70rjw (Post 9885709)
Lights go off with the ignition. Parking light switch on top of the steering column cowling

:thumb:

wr pete 16 February 2011 09:13 PM

as above. This is normal when car battery gets low on charge, mine does it all the time. if i dont put a charger on every few weeks to keep the battery topped up.

bugeyejohn 16 February 2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by stu turbo 98 (Post 9885753)
your alarm will go off when battery is low,both of mine do it,its due to the voltage sensor detecting the drop.

Same as mine