ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Styling (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/)
-   -   painting intercooler (https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36/872353-painting-intercooler.html)

wrx mark 08 February 2011 10:43 PM

painting intercooler

hi is it poss to spray paint intercooler if so whats best paint to use:thumb:

awdx4 09 February 2011 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 55017

Did mine with a high temp aerosol, found a pic of a WRX badge and printed it big on A4 card then cut it out and stuck it on the I/C with double sided tape masked up everywhere else then sprayed, no problems, it's been on a while now.

Tim

alcazar 09 February 2011 08:17 PM

Looks neat, as does the ghey red dumpvalve:D

Seriously, mind, DO be careful painting intercoolers: air is SUPPOSED to pass through the fins and if you block them with TOO MUCH paint, their efficiency will be lowered.

The words to note above are block, and TOO MUCH.

A light spray won't, (shouldn't), hurt.

wrx mark 09 February 2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9871923)
Looks neat, as does the ghey red dumpvalve:D

Seriously, mind, DO be careful painting intercoolers: air is SUPPOSED to pass through the fins and if you block them with TOO MUCH paint, their efficiency will be lowered.

The words to note above are block, and TOO MUCH.

A light spray won't, (shouldn't), hurt.

thats what i was thinking:cry: its a front mount just wanted to spray it black?whats the best kind of paint to use:wonder:

RE54 10 February 2011 12:00 AM

I saw a thread, advising against spraying fmic. Also they look rubbish after a few months due to stone chips. If it's just a pattern or logo then should be ok, but I wouldn't bother personally

Nutzz 10 February 2011 02:07 AM

I wouldn't bother from a performance point of view, as your adding insulation by painting it and you want it to transfer heat as easily as possible.

alcazar 10 February 2011 12:04 PM

Front mounts look crap after a few months due to stone chips in the paint, so you'd end up doing it again and again.

If you want a logo, use any kind of matt black paint, MATT black helps it lose heat. But be prepared even to do that again as it gets worn.

I used to have my lower grille meshed and had the Subaru stars on it done by making a cutout and spraying white on black. It looked good when done, but I was forever redoing it.:(

KAS35RSTI 10 February 2011 02:33 PM

Enamel engine paint will do a good job.

Olly.Wrx 10 February 2011 03:03 PM

I have read that its not a good idea.I wouldnt paint mine.

BLU 10 February 2011 04:01 PM

A light coat of paint will not make any difference to the efficiency!

To help prevent stone chips spray a thin coat of etch primer on before the black! Normal satin black/matt black spray paint will be fine too. They don't get hot enough to warrant needing heat resistant paint!

I'm doing mine next week!

bigarf 10 February 2011 05:04 PM

i spray mine with satin black and when it gets a bit stone chipped just spray it over again.i have sprayed all of my intercoolers on all of my cars and have never had problems with high charge temps.

dunx 10 February 2011 06:19 PM

Not surprised at only 300 Bezhp :D

dunx

P.S. Took two years for Arf to make mine look shabby by spitting gravel at it :lol1::lol1: