ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   worrying noise possible wheel bearing?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/872254-worrying-noise-possible-wheel-bearing.html)

jayukRS 08 February 2011 03:11 PM

worrying noise possible wheel bearing??

not to sure if its the bearing,or sumthin else gettin a noise from the passengerside wheel very notcible when driving slowly uphill sounds very creeky and when u drive in a straight line the sound sounds like theres sumthin on the wheel eveytime the wheel does a revalution it makes a noise like a rubbing noise cant really describe it but it goes if i turn to the left and then it comes back again??????on a scoob are the bearings solid or tappered bearings its a 2004 stitype uk

djwrx 08 February 2011 03:15 PM

possible driveshaft??? if it wheel bearing you can usualy tell by jacking car up.holding one hand on top off wheel and one bottom and wiggle and see if there any play.might be daft but there nothing stuck in the tires perhaps if it every revolution??

jayukRS 08 February 2011 03:28 PM

well i first thought it cud be my mud flap but took this of and still does it its like the wheel is catching on sumthin with every spin but goes when i turn to the left or right ..but its very creeky when i pull up to go up my drive which has got a slight hill wud worn bush mounts make this noise..? and theres definitly nothin on the wheel ...

jayukRS 08 February 2011 03:29 PM

checked to c if there was anyplay and there isnt

djwrx 08 February 2011 03:32 PM

just thougt but dont take my word for it but i had an old golf gti an i was getting a knocking on the one wheel.when iwas turning into a certain corner it would quieten down and turned out too be cv joint.if the bearing inside collapses it couild account for the noise.not sure on awd but would thought you could spin the wheel when off the deck and see if there any noise.i woudl hazard a guess and say cv joint.wheel bearing usualy make a humming noise

Doobs Scoob 08 February 2011 03:39 PM

What sort of sound? Metal on metal grinding? Or just a "sh sh sh" sound? Cant think of another way to explain it!

stuart2088 08 February 2011 03:41 PM

I had exactly the same symptoms. Although there was no play showing until it was removed it was the wheel bearing.

It surprised the garage who did the work as they didnt suspect the wheel bearing.

jayukRS 09 February 2011 08:45 PM

checked bearing,cv joint,drive shaft connecting rods,hub,springs etc they all look fine no play in any but still gettin a creeky/ticking noise afther about 15mins of driving..sumtimes goes when cornering and sumtimes gets louder when cornering...sum1 said cud be the lip on the disk making contact with the bolts so took the lip of a little but still makes the noise...had everything greased up, fine so far but still thinking its gonna cum bk any1 else had this..onley happens when cars warmed up cud be disks but say they look fine and wud they make this noise, pads are about 80% gone but still got life left in um....u can really here it when i go up my drive slowly which is on a steep hill....its a really creeky noise heard to exsplain....

jayukRS 09 February 2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Doobs Scoob (Post 9869420)
What sort of sound? Metal on metal grinding? Or just a "sh sh sh" sound? Cant think of another way to explain it!

its like a sh sh sh sh sound lol heard to explain its almost sumthins catching on the wheel every time it goes round...sumtimes goes when cornering but sumtimes gets louder...really creeky when driving slowly up my drive and it onley does it when cars warmed up....cud be disks but not sure..

stuart2088 09 February 2011 09:56 PM

As i said exactly the same as i had and it was a wheel bearing.

No play noticeable until the hub was off and then the play could be seen.

Just the same noises creaking when turning at slow speed and then a noise like the brake back plate catching.

So based on my ewperience i would go with wheel bearing.

Even the experienced Subaru mechanic who did mine didnt think it was the wheel bearing until it was dismantled.

Flathead 09 February 2011 10:07 PM

Same happened to my classic left mine to long and also had to replace the hub as it had shagged that also !

SkydiveMacca 10 February 2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by stuart2088 (Post 9869425)
I had exactly the same symptoms. Although there was no play showing until it was removed it was the wheel bearing.

It surprised the garage who did the work as they didnt suspect the wheel bearing.

+1 exactly the same for me. Even down to the garage being surprised (they sent it back the first time as couldn't find anything wrong). Sadly, when they did take it apart it had also eaten the hub, which is a Subaru item at £210. Ouch.

I'd say get the bearing changed.

Flathead 10 February 2011 10:51 AM

Got the hub from Japanese import for £128 delivered and it was a Subaru one last week !

jayukRS 10 February 2011 02:40 PM

gettin the bearing tomorro.......so gonna change it at the weekend hopefully the hub will be ok..how will i know if the hub's shagged will it look in a sorry state??? not drove it that much since the noise started apart from the odd drive here or there so hopeing the hub will be ok...

Doobs Scoob 11 February 2011 12:24 PM

Sounds like the bearing to me.

jayukRS 20 February 2011 02:51 PM

well had the bearing changed yesterday and the noise has gone.....so just to recap there was no play on anything which shouldnt have play...eg wheel, disks etc...cv joints rods etc were all fine...bearing now changed the noise has stoped onley cost me 44quid for the bearing..thank god it wasnt anything to serious.....if i was u change that bearing my wheel had no play everything felt and seemed fine..but ended up being the bearing..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/luxhello.gifnow i can drive my scoob not drove her for 2 weekshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif

Bugeyewokingham 19 October 2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jayukRS (Post 9892352)
well had the bearing changed yesterday and the noise has gone.....so just to recap there was no play on anything which shouldnt have play...eg wheel, disks etc...cv joints rods etc were all fine...bearing now changed the noise has stoped onley cost me 44quid for the bearing..thank god it wasnt anything to serious.....if i was u change that bearing my wheel had no play everything felt and seemed fine..but ended up being the bearing..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/luxhello.gifnow i can drive my scoob not drove her for 2 weekshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...lies/smile.gif

So glad I saw this post I have exactly the same noise after it gets hot and creaks going slow I shall now replace the wheel bearing and hope I have the same outcome, thankyou!