ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Test drove a Litchfield 2011 Spec C Hatchback (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/869310-test-drove-a-litchfield-2011-spec-c-hatchback.html)

Shaun 21 January 2011 07:30 PM

Test drove a Litchfield 2011 Spec C Hatchback

Since most people will have more chance of getting an audience with the Pope :D than seeing one of these ultra rare cars in the UK, I thought I would share my experience today....

I was up at Litchfield Imports having some further work completed on my JDM Hawkeye, and Iain asked if I would like to take the keys to one of his 2011 Spec C hatchbacks. Of course it was going to be rude not to take him up on that offer!! :D

Notibly in the fastest colour ;) the white Spec C looked great! From what I could make out the only difference was the front bumper visually. Even the interior looked the same. However, driving it proved to be very different from the "normal" hatchback STI. :)

Engine was great... but you would expect that from a JDM 2ltr twinscroll. What immediately jumped out at you was the steering "feel". At last the hatchback has a proper "connected" and "weighted" feel to it. Anyone that has driven a hatchback will understand what I am saying, in reference to what these hatches have lacked in this department. I can tell you this is no more with this car. :)

The handling and way in which the chassis feels connected with you and the road, was quite simply outstanding. Especially when this is a retail car.

I know the Spec C has some "trick" bits on it, but it really does make a whole heap of difference in the way it feels and behaves. The feedback is great.

The car just feels so lively and in many respects, very agile. I know they have junked a bit of weight with the Spec C, but even at a lofty 1,475kgs it hides its weight so well. I was very surprised.

Anyway.... it's a great car and I am very grateful to Iain for allowing me to take it down the country lanes. :)

http://www.shaunfennings.plus.com/ha...itchospecc.jpg

If you think the white Spec C above is the dogs danglies.... you wait until the hatch to the left is unleased on the road! ;) It was not so nice having to give the keys back though at the end! :D

TurboAndy 21 January 2011 07:49 PM

That does look nice and as you say its in the fastest colour lol

B4D HK 21 January 2011 08:10 PM

Bet you had fun Shaun, I gotta say these are really growing on me

H

Terminator X 21 January 2011 08:14 PM

How does the R205 fit into the equation :wonder:

TX.

Suberman 21 January 2011 08:21 PM

Sounds like you had some fun with it. ;) Thanks for the write up Shaun!:thumb: It's great to finally hear some firsthand comments on it. The only other reviews i know of are always done in Japanese bestmotoring style.

Is that Litchfield's new racecar? That a roll cage i see :D

Shaun 21 January 2011 08:28 PM

H,
It certainly was fun mate.

TX,
AFAIK it is a Spec C without the weight saving, but has all the extra "trick" bits on it.

Suberman,
They always say that what is in the background on an image is normally more interesting. ;) Christ knows how that got in the picture...... total oversight! ;) :D

Flaps 21 January 2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by B4D HK (Post 9835227)
I gotta say these are really growing on me

Me too. Initially I was a bit of a hater but the hatch is starting to look nice!

mrmadcap 21 January 2011 09:32 PM

Can't believe F1 hasn't passed comment yet, must be somewhere else knocking the head off it looking at classics:D

kennyc 21 January 2011 09:39 PM

Very nice. Like the Litchfield Type 20 aswell, have you drove that Shaun?

gordy07 21 January 2011 09:50 PM

Theyre growing on me too i used to hate them

Shaun 21 January 2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by kennyc (Post 9835451)
Very nice. Like the Litchfield Type 20 aswell, have you drove that Shaun?

Yeah, drove a couple now. Very nice. :)

Toffee 21 January 2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Suberman (Post 9835261)
Sounds like you had some fun with it. ;) Thanks for the write up Shaun!:thumb: It's great to finally hear some firsthand comments on it. The only other reviews i know of are always done in Japanese bestmotoring style.

Is that Litchfield's new racecar? That a roll cage i see :D

Well spotted fella :thumb:

Would LOVE a drive in the R205 :luxhello:

DJ_Jon 21 January 2011 10:35 PM

Great write up, how was the handling compared to your hawkeye?

Hatches are really starting to grow on me too.

Shaun 21 January 2011 10:56 PM

The Hawkeye, especially the Spec C feel a lot more edgy than the Hatch imo.... but I tell you what, this hatch feels so much better than the ones without the "special" bits on and steering modifications. Grip is phenominal imo on this Spec C (it is good in the normal STI, but this pushes that even more).

Perhaps they will start putting these parts on the normal STI Hatchbacks...... they should! :D

I think Litchfield's can buy the extra chassis bits for retro fitting, but I could be wrong.

pslewis 21 January 2011 10:58 PM

Is this cheaper than the UK car?

I guess it must be as Imports are historically much cheaper.

Steve777 21 January 2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 9835658)
Is this cheaper than the UK car?

I guess it must be as Imports are historically much cheaper.

??? Since when ?

pslewis 21 January 2011 11:25 PM

I'm sure they were cheaper in 2000 when I bought my genuine UK model?

Of course, the used market marks them down a significant amount.

Steve777 21 January 2011 11:30 PM

You're genuine standard uk model is a very poor model compared to a standard JDM I'm sorry to say.

I had a 'genuine' RB5 in 99 which was a million miles away from the MY99Type R V-Ltd i have now. The JDM's are and always will be superior to the Uk variants, even if as you say they were cheaper than the Uk models in 2000. If thats true, it just shows you how much IM are ripping us all off

If i knew then what i know now i would never have bought a Uk car

Shaun 21 January 2011 11:30 PM

Pete,
Imports are not historically cheaper in the Subaru world for that of the Twinscroll Impreza. Imports are infact (certainly for the twinscroll newage onwards) more expensive than their UK equivalent year, because the cars are that different. Couple that with their rarity and they generally command a higher secondhand resale value. The value of the £ vs Yen has also kept prices high, because if you did want to import one they would cost the earth.

pslewis 21 January 2011 11:33 PM

So, if I wanted to buy that Litchfield car - what would it cost me?

Shaun 21 January 2011 11:36 PM

Probably about £100k to you Pete, since it is a JDM and is about as rare as you going over 3k revs in your Impreza! ;)

I may be totally wrong, but I am sure Iain said they were under £30k. I must admit I thought they would be alot more.

Steve777 21 January 2011 11:38 PM

Well the Spec C R205 is

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI SPEC C R205 £37,995

The Spec C will be less.

I can't find or be bothered to find a Spec C tonight, but must be around £32/33. I may be wrong, but its a far better car to the UK hatch

juggers 22 January 2011 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9835282)
H,
It certainly was fun mate.

TX,
AFAIK it is a Spec C without the weight saving, but has all the extra "trick" bits on it.

Suberman,
They always say that what is in the background on an image is normally more interesting. ;) Christ knows how that got in the picture...... total oversight! ;) :D

Shaun great write up! I have not driven the standard spec c however the R205 is amazing so I have some idea of what your talking about :D :thumb:

However I feel that the hawkeye is the better drivers car it gives you more feed back from my personal experiences.

The R205 is a spec c with all the extra STI parts they used on their 24 hour nurburgring car. :thumb:

Prodrive are also selling these all in white think they had about 6-8come in last month.

I think the type 20 will be a special package.:thumb:

Immy

juggers 22 January 2011 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9835752)
Probably about £100k to you Pete, since it is a JDM and is about as rare as you going over 3k revs in your Impreza! ;)

I may be totally wrong, but I am sure Iain said they were under £30k. I must admit I thought they would be alot more.

They should be with the current exchane rate .............My R205 cost me over 40k by the time i tax her and put her on the new 11 plate.

Immy

mickp 22 January 2011 07:27 AM

Gonna have to keep my eye on how these are priced. Cheque book is starting to twitch.

R205 is a fantastic looking car that will remain as rare as hens teeth. Sounds great as well.

Thanks for the write up Shaun.

Suberman 22 January 2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9835653)
The Hawkeye, especially the Spec C feel a lot more edgy than the Hatch imo.... but I tell you what, this hatch feels so much better than the ones without the "special" bits on and steering modifications. Grip is phenominal imo on this Spec C (it is good in the normal STI, but this pushes that even more).

Perhaps they will start putting these parts on the normal STI Hatchbacks...... they should! :D

I think Litchfield's can buy the extra chassis bits for retro fitting, but I could be wrong.

I totally agree Shaun. I've the hatch STI as well, and as much as i hate to say this, i feel more secure pushing it in the wet, more planted over bad roads as well. It just gives me that much more confidence over the hawkeye Spec C.

AFAIK, it should not be too difficult turning a normal JDM STI hatch to a Spec C? It has a reinforced crossmember, stiffer bushings, reworked power steering pump, aluminum bonnet, thinner glass, smaller battery and RE070 for the handling side of things.

Terminator X 22 January 2011 10:48 AM

Juggers.

Keep me in mind for that R205 ... in a few years when I can afford it :cry:

TX.

f1_fan 22 January 2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 9835431)
Can't believe F1 hasn't passed comment yet, must be somewhere else knocking the head off it looking at classics:D

Hi there, well I wouldn't like to disappoint you so despite the sore wrist ;) ...

Sounds good, but still looks like a dog's dinner. ;)

Being serious when I drove the hatch STI the thing I disliked about it most (looks aside) was the lack of steering feel compared to a classic even and they ain't that great in that department compared to an Elise or S2000 for example.

Shaun seems to say the Spec C sorts that out and I think that would be a huge bonus to the car.

T5NYW 22 January 2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9835103)
Iain asked if I would like to take the keys to one of his 2011 Spec C hatchbacks. Of course it was going to be rude not to take him up on that offer!! :D

:thumb::thumb: I've never said no either :norty:

From what I could make out the only difference was the front bumper visually. Even the interior looked the same. However, driving it proved to be very different from the "normal" hatchback STI. :)

Yes The bumper is better shame the did't remodel the Grill at the same time :) perhaps they will for the 2012 car due out at end of year :D

The car just feels so lively and in many respects, very agile. I know they have junked a bit of weight with the Spec C, but even at a lofty 1,475kgs it hides its weight so well. I was very surprised.

About time, shot themselves in the foot with that ;)

Tony

fpan 12 February 2011 10:46 AM

Does it have Recaro seats Shaun and how does it compare to a 2.5 single scroll?
Does it pull as well from low down?