ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Looking to get another Impreza but got some questions (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/869163-looking-to-get-another-impreza-but-got-some-questions.html)

webba23 20 January 2011 07:57 PM

Looking to get another Impreza but got some questions

Hi,

I'm looking to get my second Impreza and after owning a Type R am looking to get a newage now. I understand that people say they don't drive like the classics but I have made my mind up not get get another classic. Not that I don't still like them but I just want to try a different car.

My choice now is either between a bugeye or blobeye Type UK STi. What do people advise? Which is the better car. I'm basically looking for a car that will run at a reliable 300 bhp.

Strange question this but am I right in thinking the dask in the blobeye is orange and green in the bugeye? Need to know as I have green Defi's and if it's green in the bugeye I'll hold on to them until my mind is made up. Also in the Type UK cars did the STi logo light up. I know the JDM had the Defi look but wondered if the logo lit up in the UK.

Cheers

Matt

G4R3TH 20 January 2011 08:51 PM

Can't be sure on the differences between the bug and blob as I havent driven a bug but think the difference is just the cosmetic looks, the engine is basically the same?

I can confirm the Blob STi has green dials and the STi logo on the rev counter lights up red. Well it does on my Type UK. Hope this helps.

Hongkongfooi 20 January 2011 08:53 PM

could you live with the bugeye's lights?:nono:

Blob much better looking imho;)

SpecDscooby 20 January 2011 08:54 PM

To my knowledge nothing differs. Just body work. Either will run safe at 300bhp, since if you put a prodrive pack on either of them they are said to goto 305bhp, although a lot of people refute this,

either way same car basically...Blob for me, never fell in love with the bug..sorry all:)

webba23 20 January 2011 09:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. I agree the looks of the blob are better and I'm swaying that way although I do like the bug with the morrettes or prodrive lights.

Bit disappointed that the blob hasn't got amber illumination as I really wanted this. Take it that it's the JDM models that come with amber.

Are the newage models as prone to engine failure as the classics? My Type R needed a rebuild and this really isn't a route I want to go down again due to cost and inconvieience.

powerwrx 20 January 2011 09:14 PM

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...te-bugeye.html

buy my bugeye if you want ;)

SpecDscooby 20 January 2011 09:17 PM

No i would'nt say they are "prone" to engine failures, in fact i would'nt say they are prone to anything in particular......get one!...Also Blod looks more modern (to me), only going to help when it comes to re - sale time

powerwrx 20 January 2011 09:19 PM

they say that the bugeye has the strongest bottom end of the newage impreza, a much better starting block if you plan to up the power

webba23 20 January 2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by powerwrx (Post 9833597)

I'm really liking that car and if I was in a position to buy now would be very tempted. Got to wait a bit though as waiting for some money to come through.

powerwrx 20 January 2011 09:33 PM

give me a shout when it does, i may still have at this rate lol

webba23 20 January 2011 09:36 PM

Good news about the engines then. If people were buying now would you go for the Type UK or JDM? The reason I'm looking at Type UK is the last two imports I have owned have come with problems so was looking this time to get a UK car with sine history and hopefully eradicate any potential problems.

SpecDscooby 20 January 2011 09:46 PM

Most on here i think will say JDM. Personally not for me. I stick with UK cars. Cleaner process for me in terms of insurance, history and re sale etc, i insure with mainstream, so just easier. I have owned a JDM Nissan 300zx, and a Honda VTEC prelude. Both were overly expensive to insure, and sh1tters to get fixed. However i'm sure things have moved on.

webba23 20 January 2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by powerwrx (Post 9833640)
give me a shout when it does, i may still have at this rate lol

It's a whiplash claim I'm waiting on so who knows how long it's going to take but if yours is still about is be interested. Whereabouts are you?

webba23 20 January 2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby (Post 9833690)
Most on here i think will say JDM. Personally not for me. I stick with UK cars. Cleaner process for me in terms of insurance, history and re sale etc, i insure with mainstream, so just easier. I have owned a JDM Nissan 300zx, and a Honda VTEC prelude. Both were overly expensive to insure, and sh1tters to get fixed. However i'm sure things have moved on.

The insurance isn't much of a problem as the two JDM cars I had (Pulsar and classic Type R) were reasonable to insure. I'm more bothered about the history of the car and selling it on again. I'm also worried about buying a JDM car that wasn't mapped when it came over which could lead to issues with the engine.

SpecDscooby 20 January 2011 10:00 PM

Think they are "OK" long as run on ROM99 fuel. Cannot guarentee that, also cannt really guarentee the cars past......this will all hinder you on re sale....ok you could get lucky and sell it to a fellow SNET user, or petrol head, but easily 75% of people on autotrader would be looking for a UK car i would say....were as on here that may only be 25%??!!...hence why i say most on SNET would prob tell ya to get a JDM...your choice, your money.

nick172sport 20 January 2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by webba23 (Post 9833691)
It's a whiplash claim I'm waiting on so who knows how long it's going to take but if yours is still about is be interested. Whereabouts are you?

robs car is tops i can vouch for it not many in the condition robs is

based in the northwest :thumb:

NITO 21 January 2011 10:06 AM

I would go with a JDM spec blobeye (STi9).

They have a lot more kit than the UK cars (plated rear diff, adjustable centre diff, Front diff is different from the UK AP Suretrac diffs that came on the bugeyes) 2.5 engined UK STi's have the better diffs/chassis spec similar to the STI9 but have the imho poor 2.5 engine. JDM's and late UK's have the amber illuminations. Earlier UK STi's have blue dials with green illumination and look horrid. I was always an advocate for UK cars on the classics, but on the new age the JDM engines and overall spec are superior.

If you do go UK, personally I would steer clear of the EJ25 engined cars, they're not as reliable as the EJ20. The JDM twin scroll eJ20's are superb.

Good luck
Nito

GREGGYG 21 January 2011 10:19 AM

Hi Matt,

Amber dash with adjustable illumination is on jdm my03 onwards and UK hawkeye my06 onwards. As for the jdm v type uk argument, the only way for you to get the definitive answer you want is to drive both! I have had 7 Imprezas since 2003 and would not buy a uk car again. I currently have an 05 jdm which is a standard car apart from a Milltek sports cat exhaust and a remap, and it is 350bhp and 374lbs torque. If you're around the west London area i'll gladly take you for a drive.

Greg

Gary WRX 21 January 2011 10:34 AM

That's a lovely looking car mate!

dunx 21 January 2011 01:26 PM

Hi

my bug-eye STI Type UK is running over 400 bhp and >2 bar of boost so yes they are strong.

A JDM bugeye STI will come with shorter 5th and 6th gears so less ideal for motorway mileage but fine for a fun car.

HTH

dunx

NITO 21 January 2011 08:26 PM

If yours is a bug eye dunx its an ej20!! No issues with these.

The gearing on the jdm is another clincher for me, they aren't super short like the old type Rs, the uk cars have quite a big drop in revs from fourth to fifth from memory where as jdm's close ratio. Isn't the jdm still 4k at 100 in top which gives top speed gearing of theoretical 200? I sold mine long ago so cant remember exactly...

webba23 25 January 2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by NITO (Post 9834170)
I would go with a JDM spec blobeye (STi9).

They have a lot more kit than the UK cars (plated rear diff, adjustable centre diff, Front diff is different from the UK AP Suretrac diffs that came on the bugeyes) 2.5 engined UK STi's have the better diffs/chassis spec similar to the STI9 but have the imho poor 2.5 engine. JDM's and late UK's have the amber illuminations. Earlier UK STi's have blue dials with green illumination and look horrid. I was always an advocate for UK cars on the classics, but on the new age the JDM engines and overall spec are superior.

If you do go UK, personally I would steer clear of the EJ25 engined cars, they're not as reliable as the EJ20. The JDM twin scroll eJ20's are superb.

Good luck
Nito

Hi Nito,

Thanks for that. I'm coming round to the JDM. Only thing that is really putting me off is I have owned two fresh imports. Have been looking about for JDM cars that have some UK history but they seem to be rare.

Once I've decided for def could be in touch for more Defi's if you are still selling them. Still got my white ones sitting about can't bring myself to sell them as knowing my luck I'd end up buying another classic.

One of the pics you sent me a while ago had a car with the contrasting Defi's didn't it?

Matt

webba23 25 January 2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by GREGGYG (Post 9834183)
Hi Matt,

Amber dash with adjustable illumination is on jdm my03 onwards and UK hawkeye my06 onwards. As for the jdm v type uk argument, the only way for you to get the definitive answer you want is to drive both! I have had 7 Imprezas since 2003 and would not buy a uk car again. I currently have an 05 jdm which is a standard car apart from a Milltek sports cat exhaust and a remap, and it is 350bhp and 374lbs torque. If you're around the west London area i'll gladly take you for a drive.

Greg

That's exactly the sort of spec I'm looking for as I would like to keep the car as standard as possible. Thanks for the offer I'm not too far just the other side of London. Looking to be buying around May onwards unless the prices drop drastically. Really looking for the right car this time as it's not going to be a daily drive and if possible would like to keep it mint.

CHOLTON 25 January 2011 07:43 PM

So So Nice ! Bug eyes keep growing on me .

Northern Nick 25 January 2011 08:30 PM

I'd have a bugeye, stronger bottom ends, nicer seats and not as many on the roads to be fair.

The STi headlights look trick imo and a few cosmetic additions help a lot.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ob/STi0051.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...oob/STi002.jpg

I wish I still had it. :brickwall

webba23 25 January 2011 09:15 PM

I really like that. I agree the lights really do set them off.

NITO 23 February 2011 08:59 AM

Hi Matt,

You could buy my old Impreza STi 9
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2464204.htm

It's up in NI, three forum owners and then it went to NI (where someones put sideskirts on it :vomit: but otherwise its a very nice spec)

I tried to email the guy as I was interested myself but no response...and I've decided to keep my GTS after a trackday last week!

Cheers
Nito

TonyBurns 23 February 2011 10:15 AM

I would look at this one :) http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2436026.htm

Tony:)

webba23 23 February 2011 10:58 AM

Hi Nito,

Thanks for the suggestion. Car looks really nice but I've had a change of heart now and am looking for a Focus RS. I've seen one around here and it's got me really wanting one.

I take it the Skyline is going well then.

Matt