ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anybody do any home recording? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/868811-anybody-do-any-home-recording.html)

Bubba po 18 January 2011 06:34 PM

Anybody do any home recording?

I used to do a bit a few years ago on tape, but gave up when my recorder ceased to work and I ran out of space at home to do it. But now I'm looking into getting a digital portastudio - has anybody got any experience with these? I want to use it to record a few songs with my lad, make some home-done CDs, etc.

I'm looking at the Boss BR-800 8-track digital recording studio for about £350 at the moment as I'm not intending to make a career out of it! The 12 and 16 track versions seem to be about £750-1000.

Dedrater 18 January 2011 06:46 PM

Get a copy of Fruity Loops and a few MP3s:D

Bubba po 18 January 2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9829237)
Get a copy of Fruity Loops and a few MP3s:D

All serious suggestions will be noted. :D

Dedrater 18 January 2011 07:02 PM

It looks a serious bit of kit tbh, I read the overview on imuso and understood about 5% of it.

Post what you create on youtube and post a link :thumb:

Bubba po 18 January 2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9829275)
It looks a serious bit of kit tbh,

That's what I thought - you get a hell of a lot for your money, these days. I toyed with the idea of a PC-based system, but I can't use the house computer, I don't want to buy a laptop and STILL have to buy a recording interface and software, and the fact that I can take it anywhere just about seals the deal. :)

gallois 18 January 2011 08:01 PM

used to have really good results with this unit when we used to record as a band, can be had quite cheap too. you will need a decent-ish laptop / pc though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hercules-16-12...item2a0d53d199

ScoobyDoo555 18 January 2011 08:24 PM

Good box actually.
I'm currently trialling a BOSS BR600 - used it last night for a band practice. Surprisingly good results.

USB implementation is a bit rubbish though - but coming from BOSS/Roland, that's not to much of a shock!! :D

Easy to use, FX, drum patterns etc.

Recommended :thumb:

Dan

Bubba po 18 January 2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 9829485)
Good box actually.
I'm currently trialling a BOSS BR600 - used it last night for a band practice. Surprisingly good results.

USB implementation is a bit rubbish though - but coming from BOSS/Roland, that's not to much of a shock!! :D

Easy to use, FX, drum patterns etc.

Recommended :thumb:

Dan

Thanks for that, Dan. You're a professional sound recordist, aren't you? Always good to get a recommendation from someone who knows what they're talking about. :) Were you planning to download any recorded stuff onto your pro system later? Is it correct that you can only transfer a pair of stereo tracks to PC-based editing software, or can you dump the whole lot?

ScoobyDoo555 18 January 2011 09:07 PM

I've been known to dabble in the recording arts ;)

Chucked a load of stuff into Logic this morning. Tbh, didn't get as far as multi-track, as the recordings I did last night were only stereo.
Will have a play tomorrow (got some backing vocals to chop up and stick in a sampler for my live set!) :D
However, under USB, you should have a folder with all the files ready to copy/paste over to your PC DAW....... in theory.... we'll see later on! :D

Dan

Bubba po 18 January 2011 09:45 PM

The deed has been done. :cool:

prodriverules 18 January 2011 09:51 PM

Oh yes the missus love's it;)

Bubba po 18 January 2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 9829773)
Oh yes the missus love's it;)

With a bit of luck she'll let you out from behind the camera one day. You can but hope, eh? :D

prodriverules 18 January 2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 9829804)
With a bit of luck she'll let you out from behind the camera one day. You can but hope, eh? :D

:lol1::lol1:
What's wrong with watching:D

TelBoy 18 January 2011 10:32 PM

How can love's it be a word? Dreadful.

Geoof, i still have Top 20s (ie before Top 40s) with Tom Browne. Do i win a prize? :D

prodriverules 18 January 2011 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 9829887)

Geoof, i still have Top 20s (ie before Top 40s) with Tom Browne. Do i win a prize? :D

:hjtwofing

TelBoy 18 January 2011 10:35 PM

Do you honestly understand why the apostrophe was unnecessary though?

prodriverules 18 January 2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 9829903)
Do you honestly understand why the apostrophe was unnecessary though?

Yes i see my mistake but why would it matter enough to you to mention?

dpb 18 January 2011 10:41 PM

Give 'im a chance , he's not a well man you know

TelBoy 18 January 2011 10:42 PM

Because it does. To me. :)

prodriverules 18 January 2011 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 9829920)
Because it does. To me. :)

Fair enough.:thumb:

Bubba po 20 January 2011 11:27 PM

Bought one. :cool:

(Or, as they say in General, brought one ;) )

Been reading through the manual and nearly had a dicky fit because there appeared to be no facility for bouncing or collapsing several tracks to a single track. On a small recorder this is essential and the unit nearly got catapulted straight back to the supplier!

A minute's search on Google, however, sorted it out. It's not clear in the manual, but that function's been moved to a different mode, so all's well in the Po camp. :)

fast bloke 21 January 2011 12:09 AM

I go away for 4 years, (sort of) come back and we are still on the unnecessar'y apostroph'y? (but teh (

fast bloke 21 January 2011 12:10 AM

wher'es the rest of my post?

fast bloke 21 January 2011 12:11 AM

I go away for 4 years, (sort of) come back and we are still on the unnecessar'y apostroph'y? (but teh (did that to annoy Tel) ambiance is different.)Bubba - That looks like a serious piece of kit just to play with. You sure you aren't trying to make Junior into the rockstar you always dreamed you would be?

fast bloke 21 January 2011 12:12 AM

WFT is going on...
Maybe this is the reason Bubba doesn't trust a PC based system

Bubba po 13 February 2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9829275)
It looks a serious bit of kit tbh, I read the overview on imuso and understood about 5% of it.

Post what you create on youtube and post a link :thumb:

Just been reminded about this post. :)

Here you go - the first thing I've recorded on the new device.

It's a bit of an obscure song, the original being recorded in 1978 by the Only Ones. My 12-year-old lad's playing the drums on it. ;)

http://fastfreefilehosting.com/file/...08-06-wav.html

oobyJu 14 February 2011 01:07 AM

BIt late now but if you've any spare PCI slots in your computer you can fill them with low latency stereo soundcards, each one adds 2 input channels (it works) in software such as adobe audition so potentially an 8 track for as little as £50 or if you've only the two slots and £300ish a couple of M-Audio Delta 1010 LT's would be nice :)

Bubba po 14 February 2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by oobyJu (Post 9880493)
BIt late now but if you've any spare PCI slots in your computer you can fill them with low latency stereo soundcards, each one adds 2 input channels (it works) in software such as adobe audition so potentially an 8 track for as little as £50 or if you've only the two slots and £300ish a couple of M-Audio Delta 1010 LT's would be nice :)

I really did wonder about going the PC route with it, but it would honestly have cost me a lot more to buy an extra PC-based set up than what I've bought. It's just not convenient for me to use the main house computer for this kind of hobby.

oobyJu 15 February 2011 12:43 AM

don't need a fast pc for home recording, £50 or less ad mag special would be more than enough, you'd be amazed at what people almost/actually give away, friend of mine got a dual core liquid cooled monster £15 from the man at his local tip! just need hard drive space and lots of low latency inputs hence the multiple soundcard thing, just a thought anyway, the boss things are easy to use and give good results so have many fans have fun :)