ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Problem on scooby (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/868779-problem-on-scooby.html)

smokingbud1977 18 January 2011 02:19 PM

Problem on scooby

Hi again guys just been threw town and i could hear a sh sh sh noise, it was like there was **** in the pads, i have checked the pads and they are fine. When i slowed down in the car i stuck my head out of window and i could hear it, as i braked the noise did not go until i stopped, as i set off it came back.I then went down an hill and turned car off and let it free wheel and it was still there so its nothing to with engine. should i change the pads anyway incase they r cheap ones. Any ideas what else it cud be.

P1#1015 18 January 2011 02:25 PM

Have you done any driving to warrant warping the discs? If not could be worth just whipping the wheels/discs/pads off and giving everything a good clean.

smokingbud1977 18 January 2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by P1#1015 (Post 9828744)
Have you done any driving to warrant warping the discs? If not could be worth just whipping the wheels/discs/pads off and giving everything a good clean.

No mate i dont drive like an idiot lol. But the last owner cud have its a 1997 model so it is 14 years old. I will get my mate to check them 2morro and maybe grease somethings up. Thanx 4 the advice tho.

smokingbud1977 19 January 2011 04:42 PM

My mate could not find anything wrong but the noise is really iritating now on the front wheel its like a slightly high pitch noise with a constant shhhh noise until the car stops, its still there when i brake, could it be cheap crap pads but they r not worn down. cos if it is ill change them.The discs look fine. Thanx

Turbo2000Dan 19 January 2011 05:11 PM

Does the noise get louder the harder you brake or the faster you drive? That should tell you if it's the disks/pads or the wheel bearing

Dan.

smokingbud1977 19 January 2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2000Dan (Post 9830971)
Does the noise get louder the harder you brake or the faster you drive? That should tell you if it's the disks/pads or the wheel bearing

Dan.

It gets louder when i go faster but its not a huming noise + ive had wheel bearings checked. When i brake the noise duz not go its only when i slow down and cum to a stop. Its like something is catching the disc slightly.

Turbo2000Dan 19 January 2011 06:19 PM

I guess all you can do is strip it all down and give it a good clean then.

Glowplug 19 January 2011 09:35 PM

You still got the original 2 pots on the front?? If so, they are prone to the piston seizing/sticking and not letting the pads come back. Check the heat levels on each wheel after a little play. Best option is to source a set of refurbished 4 pots, first mod i did due to having the same problems.
Funny really as i think my rears need doing after a play on the twisties today.;)

smokingbud1977 19 January 2011 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9831638)
You still got the original 2 pots on the front?? If so, they are prone to the piston seizing/sticking and not letting the pads come back. Check the heat levels on each wheel after a little play. Best option is to source a set of refurbished 4 pots, first mod i did due to having the same problems.
Funny really as i think my rears need doing after a play on the twisties today.;)

Thanx mate you have been a big help, but how do i check the heat levels, can i just jack it up after ive bee for a run and try spinning my wheel/wheels freely. Also is there a plate round the disc that could be catching, i only ask because it only seems to be 1 wheel that makes the noise. I will take a look 2morro and let u no. Thanx again

Glowplug 19 January 2011 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by smokingbud1977 (Post 9831821)
Thanx mate you have been a big help, but how do i check the heat levels, can i just jack it up after ive bee for a run and try spinning my wheel/wheels freely. Also is there a plate round the disc that could be catching, i only ask because it only seems to be 1 wheel that makes the noise. I will take a look 2morro and let u no. Thanx again

Just feel the heat differences with your hand, you will soon know which one is causing the problems. You could jack it up, but with the AWD there is always some resistance, they do not spin freely like 2wd cars. There is a guard plate which can catch, but it is more likely to be the 2 pot calipers sticking.;)

smokingbud1977 20 January 2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9831887)
Just feel the heat differences with your hand, you will soon know which one is causing the problems. You could jack it up, but with the AWD there is always some resistance, they do not spin freely like 2wd cars. There is a guard plate which can catch, but it is more likely to be the 2 pot calipers sticking.;)

Right mate had a look this morning and the guard is not catching and the pistons not seized, i am now thinking the tyre can cause it, it is bald down the centre of tyre am i right in thing this. Also checked wheel bearings and drive shaft and nothing wrong but its only drivers side which does it. Thanx

Turbo2000Dan 20 January 2011 10:55 AM

Bald in the middle? What are your tire pressures? When I bought my scooby 1 piston on each of the front 4 pots had seized >.< but they never made any noise, just failed at stopping me.. Lol

dexster81 20 January 2011 10:59 AM

Could be your handbrake shoes

nickscooby 20 January 2011 12:00 PM

mine was doing this and turned out to be a siezed pison in the caliper, but are four pots.

smokingbud1977 20 January 2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2000Dan (Post 9832307)
Bald in the middle? What are your tire pressures? When I bought my scooby 1 piston on each of the front 4 pots had seized >.< but they never made any noise, just failed at stopping me.. Lol

Tyre pressure is 32 psi in all is this rite.

alcazar 20 January 2011 01:21 PM

You've not got something wedged between the rear disc guard and the disc have you?

It could also be handbrake shoes. Try pulling the handbrake GENTLY while it's freewheeling.

smokingbud1977 20 January 2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9832517)
You've not got something wedged between the rear disc guard and the disc have you?

It could also be handbrake shoes. Try pulling the handbrake GENTLY while it's freewheeling.

Its coming from front drivers side mate, and ive checked it all theres nothing wedged. Should i still do the handbrake test even tho its front wheel. lol

alcazar 20 January 2011 04:59 PM

No.

You had the pads off to check there's not a stone or git wedged in a pad?

smokingbud1977 20 January 2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9832843)
No.

You had the pads off to check there's not a stone or git wedged in a pad?

no mate not had pads out but will 2morro, ive tried blowing the pads with a compressor just incase but if they need to come off i will do it. Thanx

Glowplug 20 January 2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by smokingbud1977 (Post 9832526)
Its coming from front drivers side mate...

And does the drivers side wheel feel any hotter/warmer than the other 3 after a good drive???

smokingbud1977 20 January 2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9832920)
And does the drivers side wheel feel any hotter/warmer than the other 3 after a good drive???

No mate they both feel the same. I do no my passenger drive shaft is fooked and a friend said the noise could be resonating through the diff causing the noise at the other side.

smokingbud1977 20 January 2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9832517)

Done the handbrake test and its still there, so i can rule that out mate.