ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Horizon, now. What is reality? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/868702-horizon-now-what-is-reality.html)

JTaylor 17 January 2011 09:03 PM

Horizon, now. What is reality?

Looks good for anyone interested. :cool:

Bubba po 17 January 2011 09:05 PM

Taping it. Yes, on actual videotape, lol. :D

It's not a top-loading Betamax. :o

EddScott 17 January 2011 09:11 PM

As I'm on here, the wife has got One Born Every Minute on the box.

Horrific :(

Bubba po 17 January 2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9827648)

Reality bites. :(

Will 17 January 2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 9827635)

What!! An actual VHS?? :lol1::

oldsplice 17 January 2011 09:26 PM

Is it next to your 8-track? :p

Bubba po 17 January 2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mr_impreza (Post 9827683)
What!! An actual VHS?? :lol1::

:nods: It works perfectly, it's easy to operate, the picture's ok for everyday TV, it owes us nothing and my lad's got loads of kid's nostalgia stuff that he likes to play now and again. :D Why bin something that's still useful? :idea::cool:

chocolate_o_brian 17 January 2011 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 9827648)

Yep, I'm watching it too.

The 22 year old bird who just had the water birth was stunning. Her bewbies were fooking EPIC :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

Bubba po 17 January 2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldsplice (Post 9827700)
Is it next to your 8-track? :p

Yes. Under the laser disc. :D

EddScott 17 January 2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9827712)
Yep, I'm watching it too.

The 22 year old bird who just had the water birth was stunning. Her bewbies were fooking EPIC :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:

Ha Ha! Was thinking the same :)

Loving the african dude, snoring away. 18 hours start to finish for us (no sh1t)

"Coming dooooowwwwwwwn"

Will 17 January 2011 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 9827710)
:nods: It works perfectly, it's easy to operate, the picture's ok for everyday TV, it owes us nothing and my lad's got loads of kid's nostalgia stuff that he likes to play now and again. :D Why bin something that's still useful? :idea::cool:

Imagine if you hold the tape like a sandwich in your hand, then look down at the bottom left ( or was it right?) it had a little square. Did you have to put a piece of folded paper or cover it with sello tape for it to record? :D

I have two box full of them with great movies and kids movies. And we still use them. They fill up the shelfs in the living room and makes the place look good :D

JTaylor 17 January 2011 10:25 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.......has anyone seen the Higgs Boson? :Suspiciou

mj 17 January 2011 10:34 PM

I'm having an ertha kitt on my Victorian chamber pot while typing this on my new spangled piephone. It's post retro.

what would scooby do 18 January 2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 9827892)
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.......has anyone seen the Higgs Boson? :Suspiciou

Yes, just go to Wellingborough - that's where it is at.

Leslie 18 January 2011 10:44 AM

I recorded it, was it worth seeing?

Les

JTaylor 18 January 2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9828436)

Les

Excellent I thought, Les.

stef_2010 18 January 2011 11:19 AM

I was flicking through and missed the start by half an hour, seems like the kind of thing I'd like

Anyone know if its on catch up ?

Geezer 18 January 2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by stef_2010 (Post 9828480)
I was flicking through and missed the start by half an hour, seems like the kind of thing I'd like

Anyone know if its on catch up ?

Horizon is available on iPlayer.

I have watched some of it, quite interesting.

Geezer

what would scooby do 18 January 2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9828436)

Les

Definitely worth watching. The idea that our reality is actually a holographic representation projected from something similar to a black hole's event horizon is quite intriguing. I'll need to watch it again as I missed the start.

legb4rsk 18 January 2011 12:35 PM

I thought I would watch it but it wasn't realy on.

what would scooby do 18 January 2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 9828555)
I thought I would watch it but it wasn't realy on.

It was on, but the fact you started looking at it meant it was off.

jonc 18 January 2011 01:17 PM

Has any tried the two slit light experiment? Frickin' weird how that works!:cuckoo:

what would scooby do 18 January 2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 9828620)
Has any tried the two slit light experiment? Frickin' weird how that works!:cuckoo:

*checks pockets*

Sorry no I don't happen to have a laser that can punt out one photon at a time

:D

Geezer 18 January 2011 01:27 PM

I read a book by Brian Greene about all this sort of stuff, it was really interesting (if a bit hard going).

They talked about this thing where is the moon there if no one is looking at it, and it was all based on probability waves for particles, not really for large bodies like the moon.

I look forward to seeing the rest of this.

Geezer

jonc 18 January 2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 9828635)
*checks pockets*

Sorry no I don't happen to have a laser that can punt out one photon at a time

:D

Use a laser pointer inside a shoe box with a hole at one end of the box covered with foil. Pierce the foil with 2 tiny holes with a needle no more than 1mm apart. Place the laser in the shoe box and shoot the laser through the 2 holes in a darkened room with the box about 3m from the wall. There you go, your first quantum mechanics experiment! :thumb:

scud8 18 January 2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 9828760)
Use a laser pointer inside a shoe box with a hole at one end of the box covered with foil. Pierce the foil with 2 tiny holes with a needle no more than 1mm apart. Place the laser in the shoe box and shoot the laser through the 2 holes in a darkened room with the box about 3m from the wall. There you go, your first quantum mechanics experiment! :thumb:

It's only a quantum mechanics experiment if there is one photon at a time in the apparatus, so you need a laser that transmits at most one photon in the time it takes a photon to move all the way through the slits to the screen.

jonc 18 January 2011 04:48 PM

It's still quantum physics as it shows that photons act like particles and like waves (wave-particle duality). A single photon will strike the wall at a particular place but as more photons strike the wall, they create an interference pattern (the multiple stripes of light) when the particles go through both slits in a wave like maner.

http://www.wolfram.demon.co.uk/interference_pattern.jpg

what would scooby do 18 January 2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 9828996)
It's still quantum physics as it shows that photons act like particles and like waves (wave-particle duality). A single photon will strike the wall at a particular place but as more photons strike the wall, they create an interference pattern (the multiple stripes of light) when the particles go through both slits in a wave like maner.

http://www.wolfram.demon.co.uk/interference_pattern.jpg

NOT ALLOWED

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...l/bbs/boke.jpg

Maz 18 January 2011 05:43 PM

An absolutely mind blowing programme. It touched on a theory I always thought about. The laws of time and space and their physical manifestation on Earth are a distorted reality which only affect us on Earth. Time and space are a concept which may not exist as we know them out in the Universe. Time travel becomes a possibility and the ability to travel huge distances a distant reality.

stef_2010 19 January 2011 09:58 AM

watched this on catch up last night, thought I was doing quite well until it got about half an hour into it

Those particles of light that go through the slit differently if you look at them ? WTF ?