ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Heaters blowing cold air!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/868258-heaters-blowing-cold-air.html)

westy94wrx 15 January 2011 11:39 AM

Heaters blowing cold air!!!

Need some help got in the car this morning and switched heaters on as normal and normally they blow warm air out after driving for a few minutes but they didnt,but as the car got to a good temperature it started blowing warm air so didnt think anything of it. And then after parking up and then turning the car back on literally 5 minutes after it was blowing cold air again whilst i was stationary and then started blowing warm air again once i started driving again what could this be? Headgasket or something or am i being fussy?

P600wrx 15 January 2011 11:47 AM

check ya water leval mate, mine was doing this cold air when not moving and soon as i drove it warmed up had to get the coolant drained flushed and re-filled, all is good now

westy94wrx 15 January 2011 12:59 PM

thanks for the reply mate but mine is using water i think aswell because i have to keep toping the expansion tank up on it what could that be?

Terminator X 15 January 2011 01:01 PM

^^ Mine did that & turned out to be a very small leak ... replaced pipework & has been fine since.

TX.

P600wrx 15 January 2011 01:03 PM

radiator, my 94 classic went through 3 in a year, head gaskets, cracked block, radiator hose/any water hose, only way you can tell is fill it up and get it running with the heaters on get it in the air and just wait to see if it leaks, could also be the heater matrix gone

westy94wrx 15 January 2011 01:12 PM

its not blowing smoke or anything but the only thing i can say is that every now and again there is a water swishing noise coming from the engine bay when your sat in it

P600wrx 15 January 2011 02:54 PM

thats water going throught the heater matrix or should i say lack of water, check the passebger side pull the carpet up mate check for wetness are rusty stains in the passenger foot well going up transmission tunnel, how often are u topping up with water

RA Dunk 15 January 2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9822203)
^^ Mine did that & turned out to be a very small leak ... replaced pipework & has been fine since.

TX.

Mine did that too, turned out to be the headgasket.

westy94wrx, fill the header tank with water and give a a blast on boost if your heaters turn cold suddenly and there is no water left in the header tank chnces are it's your head gasket.

As soon as the heaters turn cold lift off stop and check your water level, remember to carry enough water with you to top it up again.

It's best to do this with the car fully up to temp and the heaters blowing hot, but remember to stop ASAP if they blow cold!!!

westy94wrx 15 January 2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9822955)
Mine did that too, turned out to be the headgasket.

westy94wrx, fill the header tank with water and give a a blast on boost if your heaters turn cold suddenly and there is no water left in the header tank chnces are it's your head gasket.

As soon as the heaters turn cold lift off stop and check your water level, remember to carry enough water with you to top it up again.

It's best to do this with the car fully up to temp and the heaters blowing hot, but remember to stop ASAP if they blow cold!!!

Ok well how could i check if it is the head gasket. Because it doesnt like starting first thing in the morning either and sometimes its crap at idling and its sh*t on fuel could that be the headgasket?

Glowplug 16 January 2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by westy94wrx (Post 9823070)
Ok well how could i check if it is the head gasket.

Get a sniffer test done.

...it doesnt like starting first thing in the morning either and sometimes its crap at idling and its sh*t on fuel

Both hard starting and bad mpg can be CTS related, as can the constant running of the fans as the ECU thinks the engine is at operating temp or above at all times.

could that be the headgasket?

You will never know until you get that test done.

westy94wrx 16 January 2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9825473)
Get a sniffer test done.

Both hard starting and bad mpg can be CTS related, as can the constant running of the fans as the ECU thinks the engine is at operating temp or above at all times.

You will never know until you get that test done.

what is a sniffer test?
but the sensor wouldnt cause me to lose water would it?
and how much is it?

westy94wrx 16 January 2011 09:11 PM

how much is the sniffer test?

Glowplug 16 January 2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by westy94wrx (Post 9825493)
how much is the sniffer test?

IIRC last one i did was about £25 but that was some time ago, 3 or 4 years.