ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Any ideas? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/867978-any-ideas.html)

si-thee 13 January 2011 09:13 AM

Any ideas?

Car went for a remap a couple of week back and everything was fine, but was told car is slightly hot was around 93oc, car has never overheated the heaters are always nice and hot. Not really used any water but have noticed yesterday after along run of motorway water was in the overflow?I was in some heavy traffic for a while, when I did finally get home I let car cool down and checked water level in expansion tank and had to top up about a pint. I was told ooooo it's the headgasket but the engine has only done 3000 mile since build and got no other problems ie water in oil, oil in water, heaters goin cold ect...
Only thing I see is that I've had water in overflow and when car has had a run and is turned off I get some bubbles going into overflow? Could this be as simple as a expansion cap?

Cheers for any help on this

JAutos 13 January 2011 10:05 AM

It could still be head gasket but unlikely. Was head checked and skimmed when rebuild.

si-thee 13 January 2011 10:43 AM

I would assume so, the previous owner had best part of £15000 in the car having engine forged and other things brakes, suspension ect...
So I can only think that they would do it properly?
Could it still be head gasket even though when driving it never really goes much higher than half way on dash temp, and a gauge that has been fitted says 70 when driving then around 80-90 when stood, but the gauge has stopped working it flickers on/off loose earth or live I think job for another day.

Only takes one person to say headgasket and that's it you worry more than you should

dunx 13 January 2011 01:21 PM

You do understand that water expands as you heat it.

Water in the expansion can is just that, if you had left it alone it would have siphoned back as it cooled down.

dunx

P.S. 110 is hot ! IMHO

si-thee 13 January 2011 06:30 PM

Yeah I'm a heating engineer so understand expansion, didn't realise that it would siphon back when cooling down so cheers for that dunx, I'm quite convinced that all is ok with car but like I said earlier once someone mentions head gasket you start looking for problems more in depth than you need to

alcazar 13 January 2011 07:59 PM

Head gasket.......gaaaaaaarrrrgh!

Just my two pennorth:D

si-thee 13 January 2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9819324)
Head gasket.......gaaaaaaarrrrgh!

Just my two pennorth:D

:cry:

JAutos 13 January 2011 10:05 PM

its unlikely form what you say but i have known new gaskets go before, if faulty etc.

prodriverules 13 January 2011 10:11 PM

Myn runs mid 80's when cruising along and any where between 88-94 in traffic depending on how long im there and that is fine imho,as Dunx said 100 plus is hot!!
I certainly wouldn't say 93 is hot in traffic,if your seeing though's temp's when moving along at normal speed then it may need attention.

Noris8322 13 January 2011 10:17 PM

Check your thermostat, I had a similar sounding problem on my old engine. Mine was caused by a fcuk'd thermostat. I used that oppotunity to fit a zero sports low temp thermostat

Hope this helps

si-thee 13 January 2011 11:17 PM

yeah temp fine while on the move.
been looking at the zero sports stat they worth getting then?

adam

joz8968 13 January 2011 11:24 PM

prodriverules is right in what he says. So if you're not seeing 93C when cruising, shouldn't think there's anything wrong.

Are your fans working? Get home, leave to idle, and wait for them to kick in - should happen at 91C...

si-thee 13 January 2011 11:41 PM

Yeah leave it to idle and fan kicks in and regulates temp ok. Like I said think it's just me looking for something that isn't there, if nothing was ever said I would have no reason to even look as all seems to be ok

joz8968 13 January 2011 11:45 PM

These cars, because we love 'em, can cause perpetual paranoia. ;)

Just drive it and enjoy it. If it goes wrong, it goes wrong. Jus fix it if it does... ;)

LeeP 14 January 2011 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by si-thee (Post 9819875)
Yeah leave it to idle and fan kicks in and regulates temp ok. Like I said think it's just me looking for something that isn't there, if nothing was ever said I would have no reason to even look as all seems to be ok

I had the *exact* same thing on mine and was convinced I have HGF! Anyway, I monitored it and fitted a zerosports just to be on the safe side (also replaced coolant with something better than the stuff that was in) and to date, nothing gone bang *yet*.

I was told that under full boost the gaskets could be leaking a little but no ... :)

saiklon 14 January 2011 05:25 AM

About the fans, they kick in at 95C and shutoff at 88C. This is from both workshop manual and verified from an ECU dump of a Z4 (1995 WRX) ECU. So 93C is perfectly normal.

si-thee 15 January 2011 09:18 PM

Tested coolant with a headgasket tester today, the blue liquid stuff been told it will turn yellow if and exhaust gasses are present and it didn't turn yellow, was just a bluish/turquoise colour so I'm guessing all good